*****Official Luke Cage Episode 10-13 Discussion*****

8,741 Views | 73 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Hulla Baller
TajMaballer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jabberwalkie09
AG
Pop reference, episode 11.

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?
TajMaballer
AG
Just finished. Loved it! Will post some more thoughts after a good nights rest.
SeattleAgJr
Yeah, the BLM rap song (keeping it spoiler free) pissed me off.

**** that bull*****
Vade281
AG
Loved it. Can't wait for Defenders and Ironfist
SeattleAgJr
Ok just finished.

Overall, I liked it but do not love it.

Love the actors. All of them. Fantastic cast that was complete nails.

First half was pretty great, second half was a huge drop-off.

Way too blacked up. Have you been to Harlem lately? Has been gentrified like crazy. None of that was represented on the show.

Way too many gangsta stereotypes. I get it. It is a genre show, but damn.

The villains and their motivations sucked. They were interesting characters, but crappy villains.

Disappointed that there was not more crossover with other shows.

And that ending...... way to comic booky in regards to the bad guy
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
I got annoyed with the number of times Diamondback had guns pointed at him, and he was somehow quick enough each time to pull his guns out of his jacket and hit the people pointing at him.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Silver Arrows
AG
Just finished it. I'm not too sure if I liked the ending but understand the purpose. It opens up plenty of possibilities for the next go round as to where the characters are and where they have been.
SeattleAgJr
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag said:

I got annoyed with the number of times Diamondback had guns pointed at him, and he was somehow quick enough each time to pull his guns out of his jacket and hit the people pointing at him.
well, he was supposed to be quick on the draw. Like a rattlesnake.
AliasMan02
AG
My Wire count was at 5. Burrell, Griggs, Levy, Cheese... and I can forget the 5th. Who am I missing?
The Debt
Kinda crappy action the entire series.

Then the super suit... /sigh.
AliasMan02
AG
So, having just finished it earlier today, my impressions in a scattershot way:

I really liked it. I feel like I didn't LOVE it like I have both seasons of Daredevil. Jessica Jones was awesome, but my love for it is different because it was so psychological and, frankly, terrifyingly creepy.

I feel like Luke Cage lacked the iconic moment of the Daredevil hallway fight, Killgrave in the police station, or Punisher's "no win" setup for DD on the rooftop. That's maybe because, really, things for Luke Cage are pretty easy most of the time.

I felt like the depiction of Harlem was super authentic-feeling. I really loved that. I have no idea if it is or not, but filming some in real locations shone through on the screen to me. I'd love to hear impressions from someone who is actually FROM Harlem as to the depiction.

Because it relied so heavily on what may be considered stereotypes for an urban black neighborhood, a side benefit was a lot of GREAT performances from very talented character actors. That type of casting must be a huge asset for a project like that. I thought Pop, Fish, Sugar, Domingo, etc. were all great.

Claire's development to the brink of being the Night Nurse was very interesting to me. Seeing the influence that her exposure to the heroic underworld has taken on her was a great subplot.

I felt like the Diamondback reveal and the introduction of Willis fell really flat. I thought I had skipped an episode or something. Having the scripture-quoting half-brother be behind the scenes in Harlem AND Luke's imprisonment AND his experimentation was one gag too many. Nowhere in his character did I get any feel that he had that level of control over any of those things. His final costume seemed low rent and kinda cheesy to me.

I thought the other tie-ins were good. Claire was the main one, of course. Jessica got several mentions, as did Nelson/Murdock, Daredevil, Fisk, and Castle. Also making appearances were Turk, Trish, and the ADA whose name I can't quite recall. Lots of mention of The Incident and the Avengers.

I'd give it a B, right now. I'll probably watch again at some point and feel like this may be improved on subsequent viewings.
TajMaballer
AG
AliasMan02 said:

My Wire count was at 5. Burrell, Griggs, Levy, Cheese... and I can forget the 5th. Who am I missing?
KIMA!
TajMaballer
AG
I think the music was the front and center star of the show. Method Man's "freestyle" on Sway was great and I loved that montage of people really wearing the bullet hole hoodies.

I would give it a B+ on first viewing, but I think with future viewings, it could improve, like most MCU properties.

I've mentioned it in other threads, but the current Powerman and Iron Fist comic is really good. Black Mariah is featured in the first arc. Luke Cage solo series starts up Wednesday.

Now bring on Iron Fist!
AliasMan02
AG
TajMaballer said:

I think the music was the front and center star of the show. Method Man's "freestyle" on Sway was great and I loved that montage of people really wearing the bullet hole hoodies.

I would give it a B+ on first viewing, but I think with future viewings, it could improve, like most MCU properties.

I've mentioned it in other threads, but the current Powerman and Iron Fist comic is really good. Black Mariah is featured in the first arc. Luke Cage solo series starts up Wednesday.

Now bring on Iron Fist!

Long Live the Chief was my favorite tune.

Playlist is here:
http://www.revelist.com/tv/luke-cage-playlist/4818
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
I thought it was good. If I had one complaint, it would be that it felt a little too cheesy 70's detective show at times. Maybe that was intentional to be true to the comics, but I feel like it felt a little flat.

And I was also bothered by the Diamondback reveal. it seemed like 15 things were revealed at once, and I didn't like how he was behind everything bad that ever happened to Luke. Just seemed unbelievable

jabberwalkie09
AG
I think it was handled better than say Blofeld in Spectre. I don't know if it could be much worse than that in trying to connect everything together. This at least was vague enough to give it some leeway.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Haha yeah I would agree with you.

was the girl they showed at the end of the last episode in Harlem's paradise looking at Shades supposed to be of some importance?
jabberwalkie09
AG
I'll be honest, at the end I was seriously just going "WTF? We're ending on that note?" that I wasn't really paying attention to the entire sequence.
TajMaballer
AG
That was Misty
jabberwalkie09
AG
Thanks, I suspected it was and was about to go back and look. You saved me the trouble.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Oh haha yeah I didn't realize. Thanks.
nickstro66
AG
Long Live the Chief was my favorite as well. That whole scene was very well done
PatAg
AG
Lots of great stuff in this show, mostly involving the actors portraying certain characters (Luke Cage is awesome, and the guy playing Cottonmouth was great in House of Cards)

I just feel like the writing was very subpar for a Marvel show, and the more I watched the harder it was to ignore.
SeattleAgJr
PatAg said:

Lots of great stuff in this show, mostly involving the actors portraying certain characters (Luke Cage is awesome, and the guy playing Cottonmouth was great in House of Cards)

I just feel like the writing was very subpar for a Marvel show, and the more I watched the harder it was to ignore.
it was the villains.

They sucked.

They were great characters, but their motivations, their actions were just plain stupid.

Cottonmouth being taken out by his sister?
Diamondback was just a big woosey and his obsession was cartoon villain bad.
The councilwoman was somewhat interesting, but she was very much played big.

and you mean to tell me, with a supposed rampaging superhero (Cage) and later Diamondback, the city would be allow to still be in charge? No. The Feds or better would be involved.
TajMaballer
AG
I do think Defenders will benefit from an 8 episode season. As much as I love all of these Marvel Netflix shows, all them tend to go a few episodes too long.
PatAg
AG
SeattleAgJr said:

PatAg said:

it was the villains.

They sucked.

They were great characters, but their motivations, their actions were just plain stupid.

Cottonmouth being taken out by his sister?
Diamondback was just a big woosey and his obsession was cartoon villain bad.
The councilwoman was somewhat interesting, but she was very much played big.

and you mean to tell me, with a supposed rampaging superhero (Cage) and later Diamondback, the city would be allow to still be in charge? No. The Feds or better would be involved.

I think it was also a little bit of whoever wrote this was a fan of the wire, but not as talented a writer. A drinking game for the phrase "name rings out" would result in your death. I never really read the comic, so maybe he was trying to be true to its style and just overdid it.
Madmarttigan
AG
I like Luke, Claire , and misty. Dear god please don't bring diamondback or shades back ever again. The dialogue and story were just terrible once DB got introduced. I think he is one of the worst and most boring marvel villains to date. Not to mention how comical he looked in his super suit at the end too.

Daredevil and JJ I feel were leagues ahead of this show. Would maybe give this a C+ and that is being friendly. I enjoyed Luke cage more in JJ than this.
PatAg
AG
tv1113 said:

I like Luke, Claire , and misty. Dear god please don't bring diamondback or shades back ever again. The dialogue and story were just terrible once DB got introduced. I think he is one of the worst and most boring marvel villains to date. Not to mention how comical he looked in his super suit at the end too.

Daredevil and JJ I feel were leagues ahead of this show. Would maybe give this a C+ and that is being friendly. I enjoyed Luke cage more in JJ than this.
Yea, the guy playing Luke Cage is nailing the role...the show, I just honestly think this is the first thing Marvel has missed the mark on.
chipotle
Awful all around. The scene with the reporter saying cage and diamond back battling it out then panning over and showing the two tangoing in place was hilarious.
jabberwalkie09
AG
tv1113 said:

I like Luke, Claire , and misty. Dear god please don't bring diamondback or shades back ever again.
I had less of an issue with shades than I did diamondback. Diamondback was just way over the top, and was out of place.
PatAg
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

tv1113 said:

I like Luke, Claire , and misty. Dear god please don't bring diamondback or shades back ever again.
I had less of an issue with shades than I did diamondback. Diamondback was just way over the top, and was out of place.
Shades problem is that that actor is awful. He was bad in Sons of Anarchy too. I think there is a real good story/world in there...they just need someone different in charge of the creativity/writing/directing.
BigTimeAlum
AG
Yeah, it was the villains that made this one lacking. I liked Cotton Mouth but they should have made him smarter and more controlling. They should have eliminated diamondback all together or had him always in the background and not shown. Maybe Diamondback as Justin Hammer himself would have been cool. The brother thing was contrived.
rhutton125
AG
I actually liked Shades. He never over-acted, and was pretty believable. His reaction upon realizing that Cage was Carl Lucas, for example, felt appropriate. The only thing I hated about the character was that he wore his sunglasses at night and indoors - it was kind of a silly bit. But I thought the actor was strong. Never seen Anarchy though.

Diamondback was okay. Someone so unhinged isn't a very compelling villain, but it was suitably tense any time he was in a scene because he could just up and kill someone on a whim. Not sure how he ever came into any kind of power, but I guess that's it... He'd just find an operation he wanted to take over, and kill some people until he was in charge.

That said, I have no idea why Shades was so loyal to him. You could die at any moment!

Miscellaneous thoughts:

- the Diamondback suit was ridiculous, so I'm glad Bobby Fish made fun of it immediately

- the fights in this show were not great. I demand a top notch choreographer on all Marvel properties from now on. I'm sure Iron Fist will pick up the slack because you can't really BS kung fu fight scenes these days.

- the music was great. Could have used a bit more music / action interaction, like a montage of Cage kicking ass to some beats. That should have been priority number 1. Cage kicking ass was too infrequent.

- as I noted above, I liked Diamondback, but I don't think I want any more of him. Him with super strength is a story I don't really want to explore.

- Mariah wasn't much of a threat through 12 episodes, but I enjoyed seeing her go full-BS in that interrogation room. "Oh my poor cousin, he was a good man, I begged him not to get involved," etc - that was good. She needs to be the ***** we love to hate. Any inner turmoil and she goes back to being kind of a joke.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

Pros: Cage, Knight, Temple, Cottonmouth, full-BS Mariah

Cons: action, corniness, Scarfe
aTmLoKi
AG
Luke Cage was strong through the first 2/3 of the episodes, but the ending fell flat. As it was mentioned, the arrival of Diamondback was really not well done - and that suit at the end was ridiculous. I didn't have as much of an issue with the other villains, and wish they would've kept Cottonmouth around a bit longer than they did.

The writing wasn't as "smart" as some of the other Marvel shows as well, and things became a lot more predictable with where things were headed - namely Diamondback's outcome. In one episode, Diamondback and Luke Cage's relationship is established, then in the next it is revealed that the reason Luke Cage's experiment worked was because of his DNA, and finally the doctor was able to salvage some of his files...with the telegraphed conclusion then coming into play in that final episode.

The only other thing that really bothered me was how BLM this series was, especially with Method Man's rap sequence and the sales of the hoodies.

I have never watched the show, but I feel like this is what Empire would be like with Superheroes.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.