? For TCTTS, SteadicaTm, etc - work/life balance

2,477 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Some Junkie Cosmonaut
UnderoosAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I work in the engineering/construction industry and work/life balance is always a challenge, especially if you have kids. Always seems like you have to sacrifice one for the other. Folks I know that have two or more kids never seem to go very far or make it big. I grew up in the 80s, and it didn't seem like it was as big of an issue back then. Maybe I was just too young to notice.

Seems to me that while it's a challenge in my industry, it would be impossible in Hollywood. Are there any success stories? I mean, are there stories of folks with two or more children - folks who really like children - who made it to the top of the Hollywood food chain? Can you point to someone and say now that's a family man AND a Hollywood big wig, they oughta do a story on him!
The Collective
AG
quote:
folks who really like children - who made it to the top of the Hollywood food chain

Is this the new speculation thread in disguise by chance?
redd38
AG
Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie have lots of kids and seem to be happily married.
UnderoosAg
AG
I don't know what you're talking about.

I just wonder if it's possible to be a really successful, really important Hollywood type while having at least two kids. Thinking back to the 80s, I guess it would have been difficult, especially for a guy.

I wonder who might have been able to pull it off.
TCTTS
AG
EDIT: Never mind - Part One!
TCTTS
AG
EDIT: Never mind - Part Two!
UnderoosAg
AG
Thanks.

But I still wonder if there's been a successful Hollywood guy with two kids.
TCTTS
AG
Ha. Well don't I feel like a huge idiot now?

In that case, I don't know... if I had to guess I'd (still) say... Charlie Sheen is someone who definitely worked hard, yet still had time for the kids...
Duncan Idaho
Noble attempt by the op. But too subtle
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh wow.
Liquid Wrench
*Proceeds to name every single Hollywood male celebrity who was working in the 80's.
R0GUE
AG
Sex Panther
AG
israeliag
AG
0 kids: no issues, plenty of time for work; no family to distract from work except perhaps a spouse, girl/boyfriend; no moral qualms of cheating or visiting the red-light district
1 kid: interested in a family; slight complications at work, but just one kid to watch at home; enough proof that you care about a family but not so much as to show that you want people to think you care about having a family; fewer cry-babies when you file for divorce or are outed for cheating
2 kids: this gets tricky; similar to 1 kid scenario of having enough kids that you can both want a career and a family life; perfect size for someone trying to proof they want the average amount of kids, but is not into kids in any weird way; still leaves enough time to be into kids in a weird way
3+ kids: no time for any of that *****
redd38
AG
quote:
Thanks.

But I still wonder if there's been a successful Hollywood guy with two kids.
Will Smith has 2 kids (although his kids are sorta screwed up).

Jim Gaffigan has 5 kids

Tom Hanks has 4 kids

Vin Diesel has 3 kids

Adam Sandler has 2 kids

Robert Downey Jr has 3 kids

Mark Wahlberg has 4 kids

Ben Affleck has 3 kids

Christian Bale has 2 kids
HollywoodBQ
AG
quote:
Seems to me that while it's a challenge in my industry, it would be impossible in Hollywood. Are there any success stories? I mean, are there stories of folks with two or more children - folks who really like children - who made it to the top of the Hollywood food chain? Can you point to someone and say now that's a family man AND a Hollywood big wig, they oughta do a story on him!
I can't think of anybody in front of the camera except that I will say, Vin Diesel is First Class. He hung out at a few of my daughter's softball games and signed lots of stuff, took pictures, etc.

There are plenty of family men in Hollywood who work off camera. Some examples are guys who do set painting, set carpentry, other set design type of work. We had a friend who had several kids whose family business was renting equipment to production companies.

As far as celebs who I've seen out and about taking care of their families, I was at the batting cages with my girls and Robert Patrick and his son were hitting in the cage next to us. It was pretty crazy to look up and see COL Ryan (The Unit) and the model T-1000 Terminator at the batting cages. We went to dinner one night at Fuddruckers and sat next to William Fichtner and his family (I resisted the urge to yell at him for being such an a-hole in Armageddon).

In the world of musicians that I knew, every single one without exception was a disaster as a father. Maybe Jeff Pilson was the lone exception. Other than Pilson, my acquaintances left behind a long trail of ex-wifes, girlfriends, hook-ups on the road, kids they never knew, etc.
Apache
AG
quote:
Folks I know that have two or more kids never seem to go very far or make it big.

Having two kids & going far is no problem. Divorce your wife after she has the kids & let some other schmuck take care of them. You'll be making enough money for child support & hookers and blow. Win/Win.

On the other hand, if you want a family & a good marriage plus high-end success.... good luck. You'll need a wife that is VERY understanding and independent. When you're not working, you'll need to be 100% devoted to her & your kids to make up for the time away. This means no 6 hour golf outings with the boys on Saturday or weekend trips to Vegas.

I myself gave up my first business because of the 70 hour weeks, the marriage stress & because I wanted to be there for my kids.

Ghost91
What a weird question. Seems like being a celebrity (Hollywood or athlete) would be the EASIEST profession in which to have a family, versus "normal" careers.
Hollywood and pro athletes just hire a freaking nanny to raise the kids and do whatever they want/need to do.
Professor Frick
AG
This is a first, a thread that has devolved on to topic.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
This is a first, a thread that has devolved on to topic.

Clearly wasn't here on Wednesday
Professor Frick
AG
Oh I know what the topic was really for, it's just funny watching others folks trickle in to give earnest thoughts on the supposed topic.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
wasn't here on wednesday. any hints?
Liquid Wrench
A celebrity gossip site is claiming to know who molested Corey Haim, claiming that he's the "kingpin" of a Hollywood pedo ring, still very successful and the father of two kids. The thread got deleted because a few posters were going nuts speculating on who it could it be and just naming every man they could think of who was working in Hollywood in the 80's. And a super serious poster was throwing around fake internet lawyer threats.
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
thanks. wasn't there a thread on here a while back regarding hayden panettiere along the same lines? people thought the guy leaking secrets was robert downey? didn't that end up being a hoax?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.