Rolling Stone's top 100 shows of all time

8,703 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by LegettHall
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
RS just released an updated version of their top 100

http://www.rollingstone.com/tv/lists/100-greatest-tv-shows-of-all-time-w439520

quote:
There's never been a creative boom for TV like the one we are living through right now. Ever since The Sopranos changed the game at the turn of the century, we've been in a gold rush that gives no signs of slowing down. What better moment to look back and celebrate the greatest shows in the history of the art form?

So we undertook a major poll actors, writers, producers, critics, showrunners. Legends like Carl Reiner and Garry Marshall, who sent us his ballot shortly before his death this summer. All shows from all eras were eligible; anybody could vote for whatever they felt passionate about, from the black-and-white rabbit-ears years to the binge-watching peak-TV era. The ratings didn't matter only quality. The voters have spoken and, damn, did they have some fierce opinions. On this list you'll find vintage classics and new favorites, ambitious psychodramas and stoner comedies, underrated cult gems ripe for rediscovery, cops and cartoons and vampire slayers. You'll find the groundbreaking creations of yesteryear as well as today's innovators. (There was nothing like Transparent or Orange Is the New Black or Game of Thrones a few years ago, but who could imagine this list without them?) Our list is guaranteed to start plenty of loud arguments but the beauty of TV is how it keeps giving us so much to argue about.

#100 was Eastbound and Down, so I'm in.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Cheers at 20? OK.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
Cheers at 20? OK.
That's about 18-19 spots too low.
MSFC Aggie
AG
Fargo way too low
redd38
AG
This list sucks. Too many late-night talk shows in the top 20. Too many 1 or 2 season shows in the top 20. Breaking Bad not #1. LOST at 39?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
We already did our Best Show tournament. This is gah-bage.
AgPediRPh
AG
F&G at 11...overrated as always
powerbelly
AG

quote:
Breaking Bad not #1.
I have no problem with this. I think most agree it is top 3, but personal preference after that.
The Collective
AG
The Daily Show? LOL....
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Rolling Stone is still a thing people pay attention to?
GiveEmHellBill
AG
quote:
The Daily Show? LOL....
This Daily Show was better than Stewart's ever was:

The Collective
AG
No Justified? I guess I highly overrate that show.
boy09
AG
quote:

I thought I was he only one.

This and Firefly, I don't get the hype.
petey88

Gunsmoke is way better than American Idol
Btron
AG
quote:
I totally agree. Rolling Stones can GTFO
TXAG 05
AG
quote:
quote:

Same here.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Shouldn't The Beatles be #1?
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:

quote:
Breaking Bad not #1.
I have no problem with this. I think most agree it is top 3, but personal preference after that.

yep.

I have no problem with the top 3....well I would have Sopranos #1 also so I do like theirs. but I would not argue actually any order of BB, Wire, Sopranos....personal preferences will affect the order but three great, well made, well acted, well written, acclaimed, superb shows. ...and then for me GOT which I think they have too low.

Al Bula
AG
Pretty solid top 5. Hard to argue.
Duncan Idaho
Twin peaks season belongs where it is but twin peaks season two belongs on another list
chipotle
Madmen at 4? The wire at...LOL...2? gtfo
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Madmen at 4? The wire at...LOL...2? gtfo

The Wire absolutely deserves that ranking.
Professor Frick
AG
I loved Mad Men, but it's overrated at 4. As another said, Cheers is underrated at 20.
Jeff99
No Magnum, PI invalidates the list.
Professor Frick
AG
It's likely overrated, but even if you're not a fan of the Daily Show, you can't argue it's cultural impact (for better or worse).

Surprised one of the most beloved and critically acclaimed shows of the 90s didn't make the list at all: Frasier.

I guess it's just not as good as Girls.

Oh and 30 Rock is underrated here.
FancyKetchup14
AG
Glad Sopranos was #1. Shocked Justified didn't make the cut.
Professor Frick
AG
Justified
King of the Hill
Parks and Recreation
Frasier
Band of Brothers (if Roots counts, this does)
oragator
I think they did pretty well with the shows that are there, but like most of these lists, they criminally under rate older shows even if I wholeheartedly agree with the the premise that we are Ina a golden age.
Gun smoke created the drama genre that about 50 of the shows in front of it use. When one of them is successful enough to be on the air for 20 years let me know.
But the real crimes are the honeymooners and ILL. They created, defined and set the standards for the sit-com - There would be no Cheers, F&Gs, MASH etc without them. For their time they were beyond groundbreaking, especially ILL with a female lead and a Hispanic costar. No problem with All in the Family though, that was as groundbreaking as any show ever on TV.
For those complaining about talk shows, something like the daily show really was groundbreaking, whether you agree or despise its politics. An entire generation of kids got their news from a comedy show, pretty remarkable if you think about it. No idea how Conan got on there though.
wangus12
AG
No Scrubs either
The Debt
quote:
quote:

You shut your hooker mouth
Mr_mo8268
AG
House of Cards way too low. Did Nip/Tuck make it? That show was great.
Professor Frick
AG
I also think Orange is the New Black is too high. I get that it's relevant as one of the first real hits from streaming service, it's just not that good.
PLUM LOCO
AG
Typical BS from RS, they lost me at #32.
israeliag
AG
Would rather read the Redstone top 100.
mhayden
Too many "newer" shows like Veep, Transparent and Orange is the New Black that haven't had to complete any kind of overall story-arch.

The Wire is Top 10... but not #2.

Freaks and Geeks at #11? It's one season. A great season, but we never got to see these kids grow up like we did on The Wonder Years... So having it at #11 with Wonder Years at #63 is a joke.

The Sopranos ahead of Breaking Bad is a case of giving the former credit for being a "game changer"... Breaking Bad was the far superior show -- Sopranos does not hold up well. From season to season it's basically "swap in new bad guy from outta town", rinse, repeat.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.