Sorry board

9,070 Views | 87 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sex Panther
The Collective
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like I got the Charlie Sheen - HIV thread from earlier in the year deleted by bumping it to ask for clarification. I accept responsibility for that one, and it's now gone forever.
powerbelly
AG
I guess I don't see the distinction between speculation of who had HIV and has been spreading it to others and speculating who is a child molester.

[You assume that we saw the post in question and approved it. You should also realize by now that grandstanding about moderation is not a good idea--Staff]
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
What happened in the Hollywood sex abuse thread? I missed the last couple of hours.
Btron
AG
All I know is everyone is really uptight and upset. We should all be happy on TA, the Aggie football team is 3-0
Liquid Wrench
A bunch of ridiculous speculation and ridiculous lawsuit warnings.
The Collective
AG
quote:
What happened in the Hollywood sex abuse thread? I missed the last couple of hours.

ce1994. Do I need to explain beyond that?
Sex Panther
AG
Oh cool... now the Entertainment Board is getting arbitrarily over moderated.
Furlock Bones
AG
basically one known idiot poster destroyed it by whining.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I guess so. Can't recall any specifics about that poster.
Zemira
AG
quote:
Oh cool... now the Entertainment Board is getting arbitrarily over moderated.

Thank ce1994 for this recent round of moderation.
GoAgs92
AG
You heard it here first..it was allegedly Michael Jackson.

Staff
Wrong, Sex Pather.

We allow most everything, but until something surfaces from other sources, wild speculation puts us in an exposed situation regarding "libel" -- we will wait until something significant breaks.

You could e-mail the moderator next time, or stick with wide brush stroke-complaints. Whichever. We march on.

Gig 'em!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Edit: Mod answered before I posted.

Now my question is, why would anything said on an internet forum be in any way considered libel? Doesn't it have to be published in some official capacity?
ce1994
AG
Or we moderate ourselves by not opening a phone book and calling John Smith a pedophile.

I made some inappropriate comments on the locked thread and I apologize for that. I just wish there was more civility in this world. In hoping for that I should start with myself and display better manners.
Duncan Idaho
I think this is a good thinga dn commend staff.

I look forward to perusing the football, politics, general and religion boards as speculation about a person character or past is no longer permitted

Furlock Bones
AG
powerbelly
AG
quote:
Or we moderate ourselves by not opening a phone book and calling John Smith a pedophile.

I made some inappropriate comments on the locked thread and I apologize for that. I just wish there was more civility in this world. In hoping for that I should start with myself and display better manners.
You are one of the least civil here and it is a joke that you call for more civility.
ce1994
AG
Libel is a hard thing to prove but an expensive thing to fight. In making accusations you have to know it is wrong and wanted to cause damage. The hard part is proving that you knew it to be wrong. That is why libel cases are hard to win.

But they are very expensive to fight. Again, I apologize for my shortcomings. My manners are not the best. I will strive to be better.
ce1994
AG
And I am truly sorry for that powerbelly51.
powerbelly
AG
quote:
And I am truly sorry for that powerbelly51.
You are not, and that is okay. Your reputation precedes you on these boards and it is no surprise you got another thread locked.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
Wrong, Sex Pather.

We allow most everything, but until something surfaces from other sources, wild speculation puts us in an exposed situation regarding "libel" -- we will wait until something significant breaks.

You could e-mail the moderator next time, or stick with wide brush stroke-complaints. Whichever. We march on.

Considering every time I've ever emailed TexAgs regarding moderation I don't receive a response, I'll stick with my brush stroke complaints.

The entertainment board has long been one of the most civil and tactful boards on here... I liken message boards to sitting in a bar with friends and having discussions, which is what that was. I don't understand how a message board discussion could put you at risk but I'm not a lawyer...If you're worried about libel, then I totally get it and that's fine... You probably could've said so without getting defensive but whichever... we march on.
Zemira
AG
By my count 4 threads deleted.
ce1994
AG
No, I am sorry. You do not know what is in my heart. I called out people's maturity and intelligence and I should not have done that. I lament the fact you are unable to accept my penance.
ce1994
AG
As the written word becomes less and less prevalent it will be forums like this that people will be keeping an eye on. The New York Times looks at a libel case as advertisement. It is not advertisement to most businesses.

It is a different world out there. We are starting to be responsible for the outrageous things that come out of our mouth.
Zemira
AG
Mr./Ms. Moderator,

Could we get an explanation or description of possible libel for us non lawyer types?

Because basically I see numerous threads not on the entertainment board that are still alive after numerous pages that seem to demeaning or destroying certain people but they are not taken down. And clarification would be helpful so we can avoid this in future entertainment threads.
The Collective
AG
The thread in question was a 19 page thread spanning months? So, it was missed or just not deemed to be that big of a deal by the moderator who saw it?
ce1994
AG
I never once objected to any comments on any of the threads the last few days. I only commented on them. I did so in a childish way.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
ok so who is the pedo???

I MUST KNOW!!!
TCTTS
The Collective
AG
quote:
I guess so. Can't recall any specifics about that poster.

Sorry bro, I'd like to answer, but libel... or slander or something.
Whos Juan
AG
Can we start a ce1994 rumor thread?
jenn96
AG
Charlie Strong tends to get libeled a lot on some of these boards. Better get going on deleting threads!
BigTimeAlum
AG
quote:
Charlie Strong tends to get libeled a lot on some of these boards. Better get going on deleting threads!
No joke. So funny TexAgs thinks it has legal risk from hollywood.....
ce1994
AG
You are the one the moderators said was the part of the problem, not ole ce1994. Do as you like but these guys are running a business. And if they are making a profit from the business they can be held accountable. And the accusations got wild in that thread. I think my mailman at one point was cast in a negative light as perv.

Make fun all you like. I did not object to the moderators about any of the comments on the thread. I also do not need to be told what is considered libel and how much it costs to fight it. Some of those comments would be considered libelous and the owners of the site are accountable. Now if another source cites something and we comment on that that is a different story.

I am many things...dumb is not one of them.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Can we start a ce1994 rumor thread?

He made false statements on the politics board about my inability to frame a house.

He should be ashamed of himself for lowing the quality of the discussion on that board.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.