Designated Survivor

34,871 Views | 208 Replies | Last: 1 mo ago by The Milkman
Cinco Ranch Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If DS doesn't clean up its act pronto, I likely will quit watching. Neat idea for a show but I have never been able to tolerate Hollywood forcing their crappy politics down my throat. The gun control storyline is irritating at best. I mean, all I need to do is figure out where CNN or MSNBC is in my PS Vue menu and tune in if I want to hear people yapping about the "evils" of guns.
The Sun
Cinco Ranch Aggie said:

If DS doesn't clean up its act pronto, I likely will quit watching. Neat idea for a show but I have never been able to tolerate Hollywood forcing their crappy politics down my throat. The gun control storyline is irritating at best. I mean, all I need to do is figure out where CNN or MSNBC is in my PS Vue menu and tune in if I want to hear people yapping about the "evils" of guns.
We already dropped it. Between the obvious shilling of current hot button politics to the idiotic similarities to late seasons of 24, it just wasn't enjoyable. It was impossible to let go of reality enough to accept the absurdity of many characters' performance.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Agent Wells' storyline is way more interesting than all the political BS.
DTP02
AG
My kids still like it and we've talked thru some of the political issues (with the older son saying in this last episode "shouldn't the republican senators be trying to get more judges they agree with on the Supreme Court, why does that make them bad guys?") so that hasn't been too bad to this point.

But as the conspiracy starts to unfold more and more, it becomes more ridiculous. Those guys all looked pretty amateurish, kind of a cross between a camping group and survivalist/prepper group, not part of a conspiracy which blew up thousands of people. Up until the chopper landing I thought they might be setting up a red herring with this group because they seemed so unlikely to be the big bad guys.

The whole notion of there being some event like this and it NOT being Islamic terrorists is patently ridiculous, but of course we don't want to have a plot where we single out Muslims as the bad guys even though they're the only realistic group that would actually do something like this. But now the die seems to be cast that it's going to be an almost exclusively white, right wingish domestic terrorist group, and I just don't see how you play it remotely straight politically and have that end up being the outcome.

Here's a tip for the Designated Survivor writers, you may have some intent to present this show from an independent perspective, but when there is literally never any criticism of the democratic pols or liberal positions, nor any justification for rep pols or conservative positions, and all of the bad guys are some combo of military, white, and right wing, then all you've done is dress up the stereotypical Hollywood politics in a thinly-veiled disguise.
TexasAggie_02
AG
So this week they hype up 'the traitor will be revealed' in the ads, then show clips of all the regulars, only to finally reveal the traitor as a new character introduced earlier in the episode (He gave the security video footage to Hannah wells). What a let down.
TennAg
Agent wells starting her ford focus (that was 30 feet away) with her cell phone might have been the most jarring and ridiculous product placement effort i've seen in awhile.
Bregxit
AG
TennAg said:

Agent wells starting her ford focus (that was 30 feet away) with her cell phone might have been the most jarring and ridiculous product placement effort i've seen in awhile.

Tons of that is DS like when Seth pulls out the Scotch and makes a big deal about it being The Macallan 12. Just another reason we dropped it.
TexasAggie_02
AG
so i haven't watched last nights episode yet, but I heard on the radio yesterday morning that this show is on it's FOURTH head writer. All the WTF moments kinda makes more sense now.

Remember in the first couple of episodes, Aaron was secretly meeting with the general, until Pres Kirkman fired the General, then it was all dropped.

Then the son's drug drama was just dropped.

then the first family moves to camp david, and are pretty much dropped

Also kinda explains the whole buildup to finding Nassar, only to have Macleish kill him, then Macleish gets killed an episode later, and then 3 episodes later "Whoopsie, Nassar is still alive!!"

Also the show has gotten progressively more political since coming back from the winter break, considering the first half of the season was filmed before the 2016 election.
chipotle
TennAg said:

Her running around in platforms after her escape was hilarious.
chipotle
On another note after this episode I hope music is banned in schools.
Saxsoon
AG
chipotle said:

On another note after this episode I hope music is banned in schools.
Seriously why the **** would anyone think this that isn't a knuckle dragger
TexasAggie_02
AG
gag me. so the terrorists are now the "Alt-right?" And they are led by a billionaire?

also, i like how agent wells never realized that she was on a boat. she would've smelled the salt air, and felt the rocking of the ship and heard the waves. such lazy horse__it. No wonder they've burned through 4 head writers so far.
Bregxit
AG
So at this point are you still watching it to see just how bad it can be?
chipotle
TexasAggie_02 said:

gag me. so the terrorists are now the "Alt-right?" And they are led by a billionaire?

ABC isn't beating around the bush about where their political loyalties lie. All their shows drop these subtle bombs.
Agnzona
My favorite plot line is the POTUS is supposed to be an non ideological pragmatic but his politics are left of Hiklary, LOL.
DTP02
AG
You can still count the number of times a democrat has been the "bad guy," either politically or in the terrorist plot, on the Venus De Milo's hands. I tend to think there is at least some intention by the show-runners to be somewhat neutral, but I just don't think they know how to do it. This is one of the problems when the vast majority of writers and show-runners you hire come from the same, insular political bubble.

Conservatives are only "good" in the show when they are going against the "worse" conservatives or betraying their conservative principles. Liberals are "good" for just being who they are, and all of their principles are worthy and lauded.

Similar, although not quite as severe, breakdown in racial/gender issues. Big bad guy is white, as is the white house traitor, the deceased VP, and the bad guy senator. Much more of an emphasis on diversity among the good guys.

This is all to be expected in our pop culture however, and there are more egregious examples in other shows.

There are a couple of things which make it more irritating in this show, however:

First, the show pays lip service to playing it down the middle, without ever actually playing it down the middle. As I said, I think at least some of that is they have no idea how playing it down the middle actually looks.

Second, the whole ridiculous conceit of the underlying plot being a bunch of survivalists or whatever the constantly changing description is has caused huge problems. They've created such an unbelievable and inconsistent villain. They really are making it up as they go in large part, and that's created a number of inconsistencies and plotholes, and that could have all been avoided if they hadn't contorted themselves intellectually to try to create a plausible right-spectrum villain. Islamic terrorists, or the only Americans who are currently rioting and committing political violence on a significant scale, the left, would make much more believable villains. And if you had a more believable villain you could write the show with some consistency. They made a deliberate choice to sacrifice good plot development in order to manufacture a right-wing villain... all for a show that says it's being neutral.
TexasAggie_02
AG
dlance said:

So at this point are you still watching it to see just how bad it can be?
basically.

wife wants to see it through b/c the season is almost over. Unless season 2 involves Kirkman torturing someone in the white house while yelling "WHERE"S THE BOMB," i'll probably be done with this show.
Agnzona
Apparently Keifer had a huge impact of 25 moving away from real terrorism and making the bad guys Russians or Right Wing. Is he driving this politically?
Bregxit
AG
Agnzona said:

Apparently Keifer had a huge impact of 25 moving away from real terrorism and making the bad guys Russians or Right Wing. Is he driving this politically?

Possibly. He has always been way to the left. It was shocking watching his interviews on the 24 DVDs. I couldn't believe the same guy played Jack Bauer.
Agnzona
This character seems to be more him playing himself I somewhat suspect.
Sentinel
AG
Renewed for a second season.
chipotle
Sentinel said:

Renewed for a second season.

So long as trump is in the white house.
Agnzona
So the moderate independent POTUS went for gun control, arts funding, Muslim refugee resettlements.

Not allot left for his agenda for next year? What's a moderate to do? I guess UHC is an obvious one....
InspectionAg
AG
The production at this point is just bad. Why would the terrorists leave the keys in the van with Hannah Wells? How did Lozano get out of the pentagon when it was under lockdown? How did he get out of the car so fast after getting t-boned?

This doesn't deserve a second season.
bigcat22
AG
The second half of this season was a total let down. Some storylines just disappeared while others had insanely preposterous leaps in reality. Shame because I really wanted to like this show
AB2
AG
Such a good concept that's been so poorly executed.

My 11 year old loves it, so I keep watching.
Agnzona
So I guess next year's big plot line is everyone knows who the bad guy is but cannot find him and he noe controls the military computers. Seems like the DOD could order all systems off line immediately and go to paper and manual procedures.
Rex Racer
AG
My wife and I like it in a "The Following" kind of way. We look and each other and say, "That could never happen," about every 5 minutes.
TexasAggie_02
AG
bigcat22 said:

The second half of this season was a total let down. Some storylines just disappeared while others had insanely preposterous leaps in reality. Shame because I really wanted to like this show
this would've made a better season of 24. have the same premise, but the president's screen time is severely limited. focus on the investigation and spy stuff. having the show revolve around the POTUS is requiring them to waste too much screen time on things that don't matter to the plot.
Aggiemike96
AG
Anyone still watching this? Just watched the season 2 midseason finale.
rhoswen
AG
Yes, but mostly because it turns up on the dvr and i run out of other stuff to watch. It's kinda hard to get into it now that it's basically just another white house drama and i can't stand half the subplots.
duck79
AG
The finale ending did surprise me though. I guess now they can add "dating" drama to the subplots
Eliminatus
AG
Got through two and half episodes. Completely lost interest and started cruising TA.

This show is terrible. Fantastic concept, executed poorly. And yes, to much political drivel creep into the story. It's blatant. Obnoxiously so.

Just a random bump

The Milkman
AG
It took me a long long time, but I finally finished watching all of this. Season 3 was hysterically bad in an attempt to hit on every left wing and woke topic possible, in addition to just dropping lots of characters without any mention.

• Trans storyline
  • Immigration storylines
  • The staffer having aids.... and somehow they tried to make him the good guy for not telling the dude he just had sex with until after?
  • Opioids and oxy
  • tons of meaningless subplots

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.