Headliners that brought good opening bands

4,619 Views | 66 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Know Your Enemy
FNG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The obscure bands thread had me thinking about lesser-known bands or up-and-coming bands that opened for big name acts.

Some big headliners I saw were great about bringing quality acts to open, but others I could do without.

Rush, back when they used an opening act instead of playing two sets, always brought quality openers.

Examples:

- Max Webster (Canadian band, great guitarist/singer fronting them)
- Golden Earring (drummer did a really good solo, not at all shy about showing his chops knowing that Peart would be onstage later)
- Gary Moore. Dude could shred
- Tommy Shaw. Played some solo stuff, played some Styx, was really good
- Mr. Big. Rush was not shy at all about putting Billy Sheehan and Paul Gilbert on first
- Eric Johnson
- Steve Morse Band. A guitarist so good that he is ineligible for the Guitar Player magazine reader's poll because he won Best Overall Guitarist five times
- Primus. Again, another amazing bass player. Geddy had no worries
- Candlebox

Judas Priest had Great White open when I saw them. They were new and their big single was called "Stick It", but they were good

Ratt had Bon Jovi open

David Lee Roth had Cinderella open

ZZ Top brought Honeymoon Suite

The Cars brought Wang Chung

Triumph brought an aging Molly Hatchet, but they were solid

In contrast, Van Halen didn't bring good openers (not counting Monsters of Rock). After The Fire opened on the Diver Down tour. Remember "Der Kommissar"?
A rockabilly band named The Velcros opened on the 1984 tour. They gave them the front porch of this massive stage. Tiny area, smaller than most openers get. They were good as a rockabilly band, but opening for a band that was the biggest around at the time?

VH also had a really old Bachman Turner Overdrive open for them on 5150. I read somewhere back then that they didn't want a chance to be shown up so they booked lower quality acts. Considering Dave booked Cinderella for his opener on his first solo tour, I'm guessing this was an Eddie decision. Considering what we have seen from EVH in recent years, it seems possible. How can you be a guitar legend and be insecure?

U2 brought the Pixies the time I saw them. I know some people love the Pixies, but they were not impressive to me

Asia had a juggler open. He told jokes, he juggled to rock music, he was good at what he did, but really?

Queensryche brought Type O Negative. They evidently had a following at some point, but they were just average when I saw them

Do you have any examples of bands that were not afraid of some competition? And maybe some that were?
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
Foo Fighters open with Weezer, in Austin about decade ago? One of the best combo shows I've seen.

Cool unknown opener story: Kid Rock opening for Monster Magnet at Numbers (1998/9?)
Was and still big Monster Magnet fan -- bought tickets with buddy and went to show on time, but couldn't find the tickets once we got there (lost somewhere in the car). Sat in parking lot debating whether to go in, and finally said ****-it, we'll buy more tickets.

Grab a few beers and watched the opener come out and progressively put the place into a frenzy. Low lighting, skinny white guy with red mink coat, confusing the audience with that yet unknown "rap-rock" phenomena of the 90's.
He played his first hit album front to back 'Devil Without a Cause.'
Biggest grins on our face after that opener, knowing we still had the headliner still to come -- a very good feeling.

The promoters had crew wandering the crowds passing out free demo, single cassettes (remember those?). Still have two sealed of first single for their other artist, Eminem.

Speaking of Great White, brother in law went to one of those big multiartist rock shows in 80's, maybe the Texas Jam, and said they were fairly unknown at the time but took the show over by crowd reaction.

Jack Russell (original lead singer of the band) was kicked out of Great White few years ago for recurring drug issues, so now there are two separate touring bands. I've never seen him live, but there are some videos on Youtube of Jack White still with Great White and he loves doing Led Zeppelin covers -- as he should, he is freaking nails as a Plant cover voice. Any interest in either, you should check it out. I would go in a heartbeat if I knew he was doing one of his Zeppelin tribute/cover shows along with this other stuff.
ATM9000
AG
I saw Muse open for U2 some years back I Houston.
Tanya 93
Metallica had The Cult open for them in 1989.
AtlAg05
AG
1997 Bridges to Babylon tour, Rolling Stones

Opened by Matchbox 20, Smashing Pumpkins, and Dave Matthews
AgLaw
AG
Saw The Ramones open for Pearl Jam in Austin during the 90s.
FNG
KC Wheeler, morning DJ on 99.5 The Fox in Aggieland is a huge Zep fan and plays a live version of Great White covering Zep from time to time. It's really good.
Old Sarge
AG
Whitesnake opened for Motley Crue on the Girls Girls Girls tour. WS was really taking off. Did not play Slide It In. Crowd was chanting for it. WTF?

Queensryche opened for KISS on Animalize tour. Everyone else drove thru ice and snow to get to/thru Waco to get to show. Halfway thru the QR set, the crowd was getting unruly and yelling for KISS.

mhayden
Say what you will about the music, but for a somewhat more modern list -- Korn, No Doubt, Deftones, Sugar Ray and Incubus all opened for 311 before they really "hit it big".

And a sure-fire future Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee -- HOOBASTANK.
MaroonStain
AG
I saw Marshall Tucker Band play at Dessau Dance Hall and a band named Reckless Kelly opened for them.
Ag MD 84
AG
Went to see The Cult at Palmer Auditorium in ATX back in the 80's, decided to skip the opening band (another California hair band I thought) and go to Maggie Mae's for a couple of beers. Few weeks later, they released an album called "Appetite for Destruction." Still regret to this day. Saw ZZ Top in Abilene back in 1978 (Sr. year high school) and their opening act was Muddy Waters and his band.
Duncan Idaho
quote:

The best thing about that set was how ****ing happy matchbox 20 was. The entire band couldn't believe how lucky they were to be there
FNG
quote:
Went to see The Cult at Palmer Auditorium in ATX back in the 80's, decided to skip the opening band (another California hair band I thought) and go to Maggie Mae's for a couple of beers. Few weeks later, they released an album called "Appetite for Destruction." Still regret to this day. Saw ZZ Top in Abilene back in 1978 (Sr. year high school) and their opening act was Muddy Waters and his band.

Man. That is one giant fail.
fightinags2013
AG
Needtobreathe opened for Taylor Swift a few years back. Bit of a strange pairing, but it definitely propelled them to headlining places like Red Rocks, Gexa, and the Woodlands pavilion.
Rocagnante
AG
Primus opening for Rush: I saw that tour at The Summit in Houston. I remember Primus getting booed by the crowd. Lead singer/base player stopped and led the crowd in a cheer: "P. R. I.......M. U. S.......Primus really sucks!.....Primus sucks."

Primus wasn't a good fit to open for Rush.
FNG
quote:
Primus opening for Rush: I saw that tour at The Summit in Houston. I remember Primus getting booed by the crowd. Lead singer/base player stopped and led the crowd in a cheer: "P. R. I.......M. U. S.......Primus really sucks!.....Primus sucks."

They weren't a good fit. Agreed. But they were a talented band. Rush didn't get nervous by bringing quality musicians to open. Their style just didn't fit with the Rush crowd.

They did get some applause when they decided to play some Zeppelin, so there is that.

$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
I too saw Primus open for Rush in Feb. '92 in Austin. I came to appreciate them so much more as the years went on, but at the time I was just kind of thinking "Huh. Weird." Then they launched into a cover of "Kashmir" and the place went nuts.

The whole "Primus sucks!" thing was what their fans used to shout to the band and each other. If you were at one of their shows and heard people yelling this, it was because they were fans.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Mars Volta and Queens of the Stone Age opened for RHCP.
Rocagnante
AG
This whole time I thought it was because the crowd was booing them!
Professor Frick
AG
I saw Toadies open for RHCP in California in 95-96ish
Quinn
AG
Death From Above 1979 and Queens of The Stone Age opened for NIN in 2005.
AtlAg05
AG
You should have seen the stoned/drunk older folks in the crowd around me!
petey88
quote:

Was at the Texas World Speedway show, some German guy hanging around bought the last tee shirt the vendors had for sale.

Beer vendors vs. Stones fans: One had to show a purchased ticket stub at the gate to go out to the parking lot tent to stand in line for 30 minutes for $5 hot Budweiser.

Perhaps,...the worst Stones events out of the twelve I have attended

FancyKetchup14
AG
Foo Fighters had Gary Clark Jr open for them last fall which was absolutely incredible. Seeing Edward Sharpe open for DMB was cool too.
gordo97
AG
Voivod opened for Rush on some tour a long time ago... EOT
FNG
quote:
Voivod opened for Rush on some tour a long time ago... EOT

Who?
Liquid Wrench
Never seen an opening act that went on to become bigger, I don't think.

ZZ Top at the last Summit concert had Cross Canadian Ragweed and Los Lobos, which was cool.

Of course, Guns N Roses, Metallica and Faith No More was a stout bill.
AR_Ag95
AG
Metallica opening for Ozzy...shot in the dark tour.
Mathguy64
AG
Rush has opened for: KISS, Aerosmith, Kansas, ELO, Lynyrd Skynyrd
They have had open for them: Styx, AC/DC, Ted Nugent, Cheap Trick

That's a pretty decent before and after slot list
Know Your Enemy
AG
I saw Rage Against The Machine open for U2 at the Cotton Bowl.

I also saw Motorhead and Dio open for Iron Maiden once.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Oh, and Grace Potter & The Nocturnals opened for Gov't Mule many years ago.
Kampfers
AG
quote:

Primus was on tool's most recent tour. I remember the singer getting up there after their first song and being like "well that's pretty much all the songs you want to hear, so feel free to step on out and go get some food before Tool comes on"

Seems like they are very self deprecating. Good band though.

GnR opening for Aerosmith is a great example of what OP asked. Stole the show.
rhutton125
AG
quote:
And a sure-fire future Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee -- HOOBASTANK.

First concert I ever went to - 311 w/ opening act Hoobastank.

Personally, I've started skipping most opening acts these days. Makes everything easier. M
SlackerAg
AG
I think I remember Bon Jovi opened for Rush when I was at their Presto album tour.
FNG
Bon Jovi was headlining by '87 so I would be surprised.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.