Musicians that changed genre and stayed good

4 Views | 57 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Seven Costanza
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
What about ZZ Top?

They started as a rock/blues band and eventually made there way to pop towards the 80s and 90s.
AggieSouth06
quote:
The obvious choice would be Radiohead going from Grunge Rock to a more developed Indie Rock style with electronic elements, then to straight-up electronic music (and sometimes back to rock).
I wish they would circle back somewhat to a hybrid The Bends/OK Computer sound. Kid A was a brilliant departure, but it kind of just stuck. Wouldn't mind more "Bodysnatchers" and less "Lotus Flower."

I watched a video of Ed O'Brien contracting out this crazy elaborate pedalboard build and my ultimate thought was, "Why bother? You just lay etherial pads at this point... you could play a keyboard."
captkirk
AG
Danny Elfman - Oingo Boingo to Composer
Professor Frick
AG
Agreed. I liked this newest album a lot, but would love for the next one to rock a little more.
I realize they're getting older and may not have it in them, but they've been bringing back some great tunes from those 90s albums on the latest tour (Let Down, My Iron Lung, Street Spirit), and they seem to be having a great time playing them.
62strat
AG

Not as well known, but fear factory went from straight death metal on first album to the trailblazing industrial metal that they are today on second album and beyond. More of a sub-genre change.

Anybody remember Pushmonkey? Their first album was a great mixture of funk/rock/acoustic/hiphop/experimental. Then second album and beyond was straight, no frills alternative rock.

Metallica of course had a huge genre shift with Load/Reload, with many songs a more slow/bluesy rock and even a hint of country (Mama Said)

VanZandt92
quote:
What about ZZ Top?

They started as a rock/blues band and eventually made there way to pop towards the 80s and 90s.
I dont know man. I just dont' think it is a change in genre as much as a change in producer during the era.
deadhead aggie
AG
Billy Joel went from a metal band that used only an organ and drums to marrying Christie Brinkley....
TXAG 05
AG
The Beatles. The White Album by itself covers almost every genre there is.
VanZandt92
We should have threads where no Beatles or Metallica mentions are allowed.
VanZandt92
quote:
Danny Elfman - Oingo Boingo to Composer

Ain't no millenials know Oingo Boingo.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Glen Campbell from Beach Boys to indy country.

I am ashamed to say that I did not know this
62strat
AG
quote:
We should have threads where no Beatles or Metallica mentions are allowed.
They are like the Seinfeld of music; any music topic that comes up, and they are related in some way.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I can bring any music thread around to Zeppelin somehow.
AgPediRPh
AG
David Bowie
cr0wbar
AG
quote:
Green Day went from punk to pop.
Green Day was never good

hth
MGS
England Dan and John Ford Coley (pop) --> Dan Seals (country)
AgLaw
AG
quote:
quote:

Glen Campbell wasn't actually in the Beach Boys. He was a studio musician in LA during the sixties and worked on some of their albums. Actually, he was known as one of the best guitarists in LA at the time.

EDIT: Wiki says he was a member of The Beach Boys touring band for a couple of years, so I could be wrong. I had always heard it was just studio work, most famously on Pet Sounds.
Texmid
AG
Kevin Fowler.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Glen Campbell wasn't actually in the Beach Boys. He was a studio musician in LA during the sixties and worked on some of their albums. Actually, he was known as one of the best guitarists in LA at the time.

EDIT: Wiki says he was a member of The Beach Boys touring band for a couple of years, so I could be wrong. I had always heard it was just studio work, most famously on Pet Sounds.

He toured with them for a short while and played bass. He also played for Sinatra on Strangers in The Night.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
quote:
Green Day was never good

hth

I couldn't agree more but I know a lot of morons like them. Hell, they're in the ******* RRHOF for ****'s sake.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
Kevin Fowler.

Remember, the topic is 'stayed good'.

Metallica and ZZtop should be disqualified as well.
Blanco Ag
AG
quote:
Bob Schneider. Ska, Rock, Pop, alt country
Hells to the yeah!
Zemira
AG
quote:
quote:
Green Day was never always good

hth

Fixed that for you.
Seven Costanza
AG
The Eagles changed quite a bit.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.