Mistakes on recorded songs

11,235 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by TexasAggie_02
Philo B 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've heard artists talk about how in the pre-digital days they have a hard time listening to their records because of all the mistakes. There are supposedly several on the first Van Halen album by Eddie. I was listening to the audio I recorded from the Guns n Roses concert earlier this month, and I heard a few on the recording that I missed when I was there. There's a big difference between playing live and recording, of course.

Have you heard any obvious mistakes on a recording or live official concert recording? I'm not talking about something posted on youtube, but something that was in cd format or sold on iTunes?

Philo B 93
Barbara Ann by the Beach Boys. You know the part I'm talking about.

spanky
AG
Several screw ups that made the album on Nirvana's Nevermind...a couple:

"Come as Your Are" - accidental "I don't have a gun" dropped in the repeated "memoria" part

"Polly" - I think it is the third verse where Cobain starts singing "Polly said" too early...Vig said he left it in there. This one is kind of disputed since there are earlier recordings with the same early "Polly said" on the 3rd verse.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Plane at the beginning of Black Country Woman by Zeppelin.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:

I do not. Mind sharing?
The Milkman
AG
quote:
quote:

I do not. Mind sharing?
I assume hes referring to the riff of:

"Tried Peggy Sue
Tried Betty Lou
Sized Mary Lou..." and they all start laughing?
Professor Frick
AG
I can't think of any glaring mistakes that could have accidentally gotten through. But there are quite a few where there was a clear mistake that was just left in.

The first one that comes to mind, remember that TERRIBLE "Beautiful" song by James Blunt? There's that false start where he comes in a few measures too early to start the song
Bruce Almighty
AG
I think there's speculation that the beginning of A Hard Day's Night is a mistake.
Big Cat `93
AG
Bonzo's squeaking kick drum pedal on "The Ocean."
Professor Frick
AG
Also coming out of the guitar solo on Louie Louie, singer comes back into too early, drummer covers it with a little fill, then the singer starts again
The Debt
Death Magnetic was a huge recording mistake.
Whoop04
It was a masterpiece compared to St Anger.
Professor Frick
AG
I've also heard that during the St Anger sessions someone accidentally left a rusty trashcan lid laying where Lars' snare was supposed to go, and no one caught the mistake until the album hit stores. Oops.
Professor Frick
AG
As a side note, is there a more inconsistent producer than Rick Rubin? Dude can clearly make good sounding records (Wildflowers, Johnny Cash sessions). But give him a 'loud' band, and he just absolutely pushes it to where it's just about unlistenable (2000s era RHCP sounds so bad).
Philo B 93
Be My Girl by Jet has a guitar that comes in with a riff at the wrong time on the recording.
Quad Dog
AG
About halfway into Hey Jude McCartney misses a chord and swears.

In Gimme Shelter after Mary Clayton's voice cracks you can hear Mick say "wooh" when she recovers it.
Professor Frick
AG
Ha, I was just coming to post this. It always gives me goosebumps when her voice cracks there.

Start at 2:45, her voice cracks on "murder" at 3:02, and you immediately hear the "whoo!"

AggieSouth06
quote:
I've also heard that during the St Anger sessions someone accidentally left a rusty trashcan lid laying where Lars' snare was supposed to go, and no one caught the mistake until the album hit stores. Oops.

Somebody also left a Lars where a competent drummer was supposed to go. Just careless really.
Quad Dog
AG
quote:
Ha, I was just coming to post this. It always gives me goosebumps when her voice cracks there.

Start at 2:45, her voice cracks on "murder" at 3:02, and you immediately hear the "whoo!"

Rumor is that she had a miscarriage the night after singing this.
AgPediRPh
AG
The cough in "Wish You Were Here"
Corporal Punishment
AG
Allegedly the uncontrollable chuckling at the end of Sting's Dream of the Blue Turtles song is due to a poorly timed fart.

Skip to the 1 minute mark.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/songs-with-burps-or-farts-in-the-mix.283802/page-5
The Debt
quote:

Tobias Funke
AG
A phone rings in the middle of Ben Folds Five's "Steven's Last Night In Town" right after a loud crescendo followed by silence. You can hear most of the band laughing as they get back into the song
Professor Frick
AG
Never noticed that, but it's plain as day!

Also, you reminded me to listen to this whole album again for the first time in years. What a fantastic album.
chipotle
I know that "woooh".
zip90
AG
First thing I thought of was The Smiths How Soon Is Now

The end of the studio version they stop the track then it bleeds back in.

Boo Weekley
quote:

"Come as Your Are" - accidental "I don't have a gun" dropped in the repeated "memoria" part

"Polly" - I think it is the third verse where Cobain starts singing "Polly said" too early...Vig said he left it in there. This one is kind of disputed since there are earlier recordings with the same early "Polly said" on the 3rd verse.

Did they ever come out and say that about "Come as you are"? I always thought it fit/sounded well and assumed it was intentional?
Boo Weekley
quote:
First thing I thought of was The Smiths How Soon Is Now

Which part?
Dr.Rumack
Yeah. Taking my sis might have been a mistake. But damn, dude, that sound system was ****ing horrible. And the drummer was so bad!
Dr.Rumack
Blasphemy!
deadhead aggie
AG
Michael Stipe's cracking voice at 2:08 in the song.........

youtu.be/zjm8mBnMF4o

Darnit..........how do you get the video to post and not the address ???
Potcake
AG
Marty Robbin's "Don't Worry About Me" has a guitar malfunction that made a cool distorted sound.
spanky
AG
quote:
quote:

Did they ever come out and say that about "Come as you are"? I always thought it fit/sounded well and assumed it was intentional?
Yeah, it was a screw up. Mentioned in the classic album doc. Vig asked Cobain for another track of the vocals, and he screwed up. It was damn near impossible to get Cobain to do additional takes, and Cobain liked how it sounded so they left it in.
TX AG 88
AG
In Ring of FIre, always felt the trumpet flair after "I fell for you like a child" came in a beat or two late.
Apache
AG
Van Zandt saying "Turn it Up" right at the beginning of Sweet Home Alabama is the first thing that comes to mind for me.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.