The Get Down - Netflix next big hit

3,845 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Vernada
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
70's musical drama series

Like the other recent Netflix favorites, this one hits hard on the nostalgia. 70s and R&B, disco and hip-hop scene with spot on sets, costume, music, etc.

Love the music, style and genuinely care for the characters. Hanging out with friends, going to clubs, chasing that boy/girl.

Feels like show is little all of over the place with mix of characters we've seen before (but that's the nature of the game the further out the generation is). Lots of cliche characters but overall they work in the end.

Style little too hard on the gritty and snap shot cinematography -- Tony Scott really jump off that bridge?

Feels like a stylized, urban, Broadway adaption of Grease meets the Warriors.

SUMMARY: Netflix wins again with probable 13% increase in shared password viewership.

Zemira
AG
I watched a few episodes. I like the sets, clothes and music. Jimmy Smits is good.

The other characters could use some work. The concept is good but the storyline is a bit hokey.
Bunk Moreland
Heard it's the most expensive season of TV ever produced.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:

$120 Million!!!

How is that even possible for a tv show? And for being so expensive, it sure doesn't seem like it was advertised or hyped. I'd never heard of it before this thread...

I'm intrigued, but I also don't want to do anything that supports Jaden Smith in any form or fashion.
Zemira
AG
quote:
quote:

$120 Million!!!

How is that even possible for a tv show? And for being so expensive, it sure doesn't seem like it was advertised or hyped. I'd never heard of it before this thread...

I'm intrigued, but I also don't want to do anything that supports Jaden Smith in any form or fashion.

Considering its like a multi episode movie I'm going to say I could see them spending the small fortune but that is insane.

Jaden is meh, but he could be worse.
Zemira
AG
And I just realized there are only 6 episodes. That's $20MM an episode!

For reference I looked up GOT is $6MM an episode and ER was $13MM in it's heyday.

Wasted money.
chipotle
CGI dinosaurs?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
WTF? How on Earth did they spend that much? Sounds like someone was stealing money. GoT costs less than that, and it's 10 episodes.
Enviroag02
AG
there are 12 episodes
Zemira
AG
quote:
there are 12 episodes

Oh I guess only six have been released so far.

That's still $10MM an episode for a new unproven show likely to flop with no press.
Removed:09182020
AG
I ended up binge watching this weekend. I thought the show was a lot of fun. For that much money I think they could have upgraded some of the casting, but apart from that I've enjoyed the music.
hph6203
AG
This show is mediocre, not nearly Netflix's best. It's over stylized, acted like a play rather than a TV show/movie, and takes a lot of inspiration from old Kung Fu movies. It's one of those things where I would never suggest someone should watch it, but if they asked me about it I wouldn't convince them not to.
TajMaballer
AG
Just finished. While flawed with some pacing issues (among other things), I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for Part 2 to come out.

Still don't know how they spent 10 million an episode.
Bunk Moreland
Good to know. I'm going to watch it over the fall in my downtime. Hope it is good
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
Just finished. While flawed with some pacing issues (among other things), I really enjoyed it. Can't wait for Part 2 to come out.

Still don't know how they spent 10 million an episode.

I haven't watched it yet, but is it possible the music licensing was a big part of the budget?
TajMaballer
AG
That's what I was thinking.. I also read that they did a bunch of reshoots.
Furlock Bones
AG
I'm about 15 minutes in and having trouble not turning this off.
Furlock Bones
AG
Had to turn it off. That was just not good.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Wasn't interested past the first ep.
BoxingAg84
The Get Down is way more than just a HIP HOP film series. It is a series about the era, the dirty politics, the generation gap created by the Vietnam war, drugs, and the creativity that rose from the gutter, wrapped around a cool coming of age love story. I loved it.
Zemira
AG
I have to admit I almost gave up after 2 episodes. Yet I went back and finished the first part because I like musicals for some stupid reason (I loved Glee for the music, storyline was awful at times).
wesag
AG
quote:
Had to turn it off. That was just not good.
Vernada
AG
Saw some previews and it didn't really grab my interest.
Swarely
I liked it
coldmoose
Liked it.
Whitetail
AG
Whoever was the animator for that show got paid. The only reason that show could cost $20MM is for all the animation of the background buildings and such.
Vernada
AG
And in a rare move for a Netflix original this show has been cancelled.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.