Saw Pete's Dragon

3,658 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Red Fishing Ag93
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'm in my mid 30's and I never saw the original...or if I have, I don't remember. Anyway, this movie is pretty dang amazing. I'm not sure exactly where to start, but I feel like I can say that this movie would stand up against the 80s era classics with a straight face. I could easily see it being considered a classic that your kids will show their kids when they grow up. Oakes Fegley really does shine as Pete. Usually child actors are the weakest parts of movies, but I think he was the anchor. He does such an incredible job making you think that this CGI dragon is his best friend and very much real...which makes for a much more of an emotional movie than I was expecting.

Overall, I can't give it anything other than 4 wing wangs out of 4. I want to give it less because I generally don't care to have dang allergies in a theater, but it deserves high praise.
AgShaun00
AG
quote:
So I'm in my mid 30's and I never saw the original...or if I have, I don't remember. Anyway, this movie is pretty dang amazing. I'm not sure exactly where to start, but I feel like I can say that this movie would stand up against the 80s era classics with a straight face. I could easily see it being considered a classic that your kids will show their kids when they grow up. Oakes Fegley really does shine as Pete. Usually child actors are the weakest parts of movies, but I think he was the anchor. He does such an incredible job making you think that this CGI dragon is his best friend and very much real...which makes for a much more of an emotional movie than I was expecting.

Overall, I can't give it anything other than 4 wing wangs out of 4. I want to give it less because I generally don't care to have dang allergies in a theater, but I deserves high praise.
I agree. We watched the original and new one yesterday. Hard to compare the two but the new one was very enjoyable. Pete doing the howling in alley was very emotional. I am mid 30s also.
Yoda
AG
Took my three kids today, ages 6 to 13. The original was a childhood favorite of mine that each of my kids also enjoys. The tone of this film is very different. Obviously, there is the fact that it isn't a musical, but it is a bit more mature overall with a more realistic tone. Well, as realistic as a "boy and his dragon" story can probably be.

Take your family. You won't regret it.
Gomer95
AG
It was a really good movie. My 10 year old son and I saw it and it was kind of sad but in a good way. Totally different tone and story than the old one. We both liked it a lot though and Disney has a winner even though I don't think the box office quite reflected how good the movie was. Lately Disney has killed it with this and The Jungle Book. I agree with the above poster who said to go see it with your family. Good movie.
Clavell
AG
Granddaughter had 7th birthday party at a showing with about 25 other girls. Never heard so much much crying. At end of course they loved it.
Belton Ag
AG
Took my 7 year old daughter this weekend and left the younger kid at home with the wife. We really enjoyed it.

It's been probably 30 years since I've seen the original, so I don't remember. In the original, was Elliot a figment of Pete's imagination or was he real. I remember him being able to disappear like the new one, but I can't remember if he was real.
schmendeler
AG
He could interact with physical objects
aggiegrad01
AG
Glad to read the positive responses; I used to watch the original Pete's Dragon on Beta almost everyday as a kid. I look forward to taking my twin 6yo daughters to watch it.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I took my 10-year-old daughter today. We both really enjoyed it. I told her that I was her age when the original came out (if I recall the release year correctly), but that I only remembered having seen it and that it had a green dragon in it. She said that was a long time ago and that I never remember anything that old. To which I told her Star Wars came out the same year, and I clearly remember that one!

Saxsoon
AG
There were definitely ninjas cutting onions in my audience. ****ing ninjas

This movie was so much better than I thought. I got choked up a few times. Redford and Howard were fantastic. The child actors were pretty much a revelation. The only downside was honestly Karl Urban which I feel it is blasphemy to say since I love the guy. Don't think he fit this movie well.

Such a great children's film and great for adults too.
bangobango
AG
Good movie. Doesn't hold a candle to the recent jungle book remake.

Don't remember the original Pete's Dragon. Great CGI with this one.
BMX Bandit
my five year old saw the original Petes Dragon a couple of weeks ago.

"the dragon looked like a cartoon. It ruined the whole movie."

he loved the new one.
TP Ag '87
AG
No one's young ones (mine are 4 and 6) were scared? Just thought it would be a bit.
Clavell
AG
Went with about 25 7-8 yr old girls (plus a 3 yr old). None were scared, but several sad moments that got the water works going good.
TP Ag '87
AG
Thanks. Oh boy,... Maybe I should go to theater with alcohol.
bangobango
AG
quote:
Thanks. Oh boy,... Maybe I should go to theater with alcohol.
None of my boys were scared, 2, 6, and 8, but we were at a drive-in and the two year old didn't pay any attention to the movie and the six year old said he was tired towards the middle of the movie and laid in the cab of the truck for a little while. He may have been scared and didn't want to say it in front of his brother, but it didn't seem like he was.
TP Ag '87
AG
Thx.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Saw it this weekend and was sadly disappointed. I grew up on this movie (and most of the Disney films from the 50s-80s). I've seen the likes of "The Journey of Natty Gan" to "Condorman". Crap most people haven't even heard of. So Pete's Dragon is one that I have strong feelings about.

This movie should have been called Joe's Flying Green Beast. Cause you don't care about any of the characters at all. Including Elliot who isn't really a factor in the movie. They just poorly scripted it. They could have cast random people off the street and it wouldn't have mattered. Elliot is more of a pet than this enigma and protector of Pete.

I don't have enough energy to fill in any more blanks but if some discussion fires off I'll be happy to chime in.

Overall, I'm glad someone else paid for me to see this. I knew it was most likely going to be this way...but I was hoping I was wrong.
TP Ag '87
AG
Wow. You're in the minority per RT but I appreciate the feedback.

Regardless, my 6 year old was so indifferent about going that I'll wait for rental.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Yeah I know. But if they're going to mess with my childhood movies then they had better have something more memorable. Lots of people like it. And props to them. I just wanted more than what they gave me.
TP Ag '87
AG
I get that perspective but I can't think of a single "re-make" of a classic that I hold dearly that meets, much less exceeds, my expectations. Frankly, probably feel the same way about 99% of the "Part 2" type flicks out there as well.
AgTrip
I agree with AGSPORTSFAN07. Was very let down and I was the one who kept talking it up to my son. He wasn't impressed and my wife agreed it was very slow and dragged on. We've ordered the original and looking forward to seeing that.

"We got a bill of sale right here that says he belongs to us!" haha
bangobango
AG
quote:
Saw it this weekend and was sadly disappointed. I grew up on this movie (and most of the Disney films from the 50s-80s). I've seen the likes of "The Journey of Natty Gan" to "Condorman". Crap most people haven't even heard of. So Pete's Dragon is one that I have strong feelings about.

This movie should have been called Joe's Flying Green Beast. Cause you don't care about any of the characters at all. Including Elliot who isn't really a factor in the movie. They just poorly scripted it. They could have cast random people off the street and it wouldn't have mattered. Elliot is more of a pet than this enigma and protector of Pete.

I don't have enough energy to fill in any more blanks but if some discussion fires off I'll be happy to chime in.

Overall, I'm glad someone else paid for me to see this. I knew it was most likely going to be this way...but I was hoping I was wrong.
I disagree with a lot of this, however, I've been in a lot of stupid arguments on the internet over the years, and I just absolutely refuse to add Pete's F'ing Dragon to that list. So, carry on.
TCTTS
AgShaun00
AG
that was funny
TP Ag '87
AG
I laughed at that and caused me to get a grip.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
quote:
quote:

I disagree with a lot of this, however, I've been in a lot of stupid arguments on the internet over the years, and I just absolutely refuse to add Pete's F'ing Dragon to that list. So, carry on.

Not sure why this is funny. I've seen opinions on Texags over worse movies. Petes Dragon is a joke of a movie. It's an opinion. Deal.
BMX Bandit
The original is terrible. Does not hold up
Red Fishing Ag93
AG
quote:
quote:

You made a good call.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.