HELL OR HIGH WATER

47,653 Views | 274 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BowSowy
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Finally. Ending the summer on a high note. What an all around great movie. So authentically Texas, through and through, if not a little too twangy at times, but boy do they get the details right: Dr. Pepper, Shiner Bock, the look/characters/vibe... it's all spot-on. Written by Taylor Sheridan, a Texan who also wrote Sicario - two facts that should be reason enough to see it - but I'll give you one more... cough and you'll miss it, but at one point Pine's character even says his son "wants to play football for A&M." If ever there way a movie tailor-made for TexAgs, this is it.

The cast also did a Q&A after the screening. Jeff Bridges is as awesomely goofy as you'd expect, and Chris Pine came across as way more thoughtful and smart than I imaged. Really, such a solid group all around, and they absolutely knock this movie out of the park (especially Ben Foster, who probably gives the best/most accurate performance... I knew a dozen guys just like him back home).

Hell or High Water hits theaters in limited release this weekend (including a decent number of Texas cities) and should expand wide in the coming weeks. Go see it!

captkirk
AG
Ben Foster deserves to be in more movies. Looks good
Stewball98
AG
Is there anything in this that would be highly inappropriate for a 13 boy? My son is really interested in this film, but i can't find many details on the R rating.
TCTTS
AG
No nudity, though there's like a quick, five-second "sex scene," but you can't see anything. Otherwise, it's mainly just language and violence, but the violence is only semi-intense bank robbery stuff and a bit of gun play. I'd say there's one fairly gruesome shot, though, but that's about it (and it's super quick).
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
So authentically Texas, through and through, if not a little too twangy at times
sounds like west texas.
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, I just realized the thread title says "HEEL" and not "HELL." Ugh.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
well the lawyer? did say hail or high water,
Stewball98
AG
Thanks. I appreciate your response. It sounds like he could handle it. And also sounds like a good movie!
Hagen95
AG
I was wondering what was up with the title?
israeliag
AG
quote:
Awww heel nah
Sex Panther
AG
99% on RT
Redstone
AG
I had a pretty good idea of the title despite the atrocious spelling.
FancyKetchup14
AG
I became a Ben Foster fan after 3:10 to Yuma, He kicked ass in that movie. He was also great in Lone Survivor. I'll see damn near anything with Jeff Bridges, so I hope this comes to Cinci.
Sex Panther
AG
Bro, do you even Flash Forward?
fightinags2013
AG
Saw it today in Dallas. Really, REALLY liked this one. A true modern Western.

This is a must see for anyone who has lived in West Texas or spent any time out there. While it did have the (west) Texas vibe down really well, it was actually filmed in Eastern New Mexico. I have some family from Clovis, NM and freaked when I saw the fast food place "Bills Jumbo Burger"
FtBendTxAg
AG
quote:
I had a pretty good idea of the title despite the atrocious spelling.

Before anyone else to be sure
Quinn
AG
Saw this last night and really enjoyed it. It had four main characters, but the bit players that popped up were so spot it. I loved the old lady waitress at the TBone restaurant so much. Very stereotypical west Texas and did a great job of showing all the depressing small towns. Great movie and great performances all around.
DaveHimself
AG
quote:
99% on RT
I didn't know anything about this movie until I saw it was rated 100%/96% on RT (that was on Thursday, now at 99%/79%). Wifey and I saw it last night in Dallas and loved it. Like others have said, true west Texas feel and great dialogue.

Regading the sex scene, yes it was brief but you can hear it for sure and it didn't leave much to the imagination. Girl full nude on top riding guy (although you see her from the side). Not one I would want my son to see...just to give you a different opinon.
Rustys-Beef-o-Reeno
AG
quote:
quote:
99% on RT
I didn't know anything about this movie until I saw it was rated 100%/96% on RT (that was on Thursday, now at 99%/79%). Wifey and I saw it last night in Dallas and loved it. Like others have said, true west Texas feel and great dialogue.

Regading the sex scene, yes it was brief but you can hear it for sure and it didn't leave much to the imagination. Girl full nude on top riding guy (although you see her from the side). Not one I would want my son to see...just to give you a different opinon.
at 13 years old you think he doesnt imagine this 20 times a day in vivid detail already?
Redstone
AG
That position is known as "cowgirl," which might fit the theme of the film - however your point is certainly well taken.
Tanya 93
I clicked on this thinking it was about shoes.

TajMaballer
AG
Great! Taylor Sheridan is a new favorite screenwriter now!
TCTTS
AG
Love hearing all these positive reactions! I have a friend out here from Texas who hated it, so I was was starting to worry that I might have been high off the Q&A/opening night experience.
TajMaballer
AG
I'm a sucker for brother relationships. Add a heist/cops and robbers factor, it was kinda tailored to me.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
That position is known as "cowgirl," which might fit the theme of the film - however your point is certainly well taken.

This ****ing guy
Btron
AG
quote:
I became a Ben Foster after 3:10 to Yuma, He kicked ass in that movie. He was also great in Lone Survivor. I'll see damn near anything with Jeff Bridges, so I hope this comes to Cinci.

Looks like he is playing Lance Armstrong in an upcoming film titled The Program.
TCTTS
AG
The Program already came out earlier this year. Reviews were not too good.
swimmerbabe11
quote:
I clicked on this thinking it was about shoes.

I was expecting an awesome femme Fatale movie
FtBendTxAg
AG
Holy ***** That was almost a perfect movie if you're a Texan. Not trying to overblow it by saying it is the best of all time because it certainly wasn't, it just had everything you want in a film.

Most I've enjoyed a movie in the theater all year.
12th Man Ag
AG
Really enjoyed the exchange between Pine and Bridges there at the end.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Saw it with my fiance and we both really liked it.
AG
Looking forward to seeing it this weekend.
FL_Ag1998
AG
Saw it today and loved it. Absolutely captured West Texas. And perfectly efficient...by that I mean no wasted/throwaway scenes, dialogue, or characters. Perfect.

And the best part was that I saw this at noon, first showing of the day and the theater was at least half full....and then I snuck into Suicide Squad immediately after this and there were maybe twelve people tops in that movie. Extremely satisfying to see that.
RDV-1992
quote:
Saw it today and loved it. Absolutely captured West Texas. And perfectly efficient...by that I mean no wasted/throwaway scenes, dialogue, or characters. Perfect.

And the best part was that I saw this at noon, first showing of the day and the theater was at least half full....and then I snuck into Suicide Squad immediately after this and there were maybe twelve people tops in that movie. Extremely satisfying to see that.
I have no interest is seeing Suicide Squad. But I'd see this in the theater.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, nice. The thread title has been fixed. Much appreciated, Staff.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.