Cinematic highlights for the remainder of 2016

19,068 Views | 144 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by bagger05
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
With the worst summer of my adult life, cinematically speaking, nearly in the books, the Oscar movie season cannot get here fast enough. So, to offer some hope for the rest of the year, I figured it'd be nice to highlight what's in store. September and October actually look to be pretty average, with a couple potential standouts here and there, but it's November and December that are really bringing the goods, with at least three movies that have been on my overall most anticipated list for a number of years now. And there will no doubt be certain surprise films that show up currently not on this list, but as of now, these are the highlights...

(Also, for those interested, my 2017 thread can be found here: Blockbusters of 2017 - Highlights of a Sure-To-Be Record-Breaking Year)

FALL 2016

10.07 - THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN

10.07 - BIRTH OF A NATION

10/07 - BLUE JAY (limited / on VOD October 11)

10.14 - THE ACCOUNTANT

10.14 - CERTAIN WOMEN (limited)

10.21 - AMERICAN PASTORAL (limited)

10.21 - JACK REACHER: NEVER GO BACK

10.21 - MOONLIGHT (limited)

10.28 - INFERNO

HOLIDAY 2016

11.04 - DOCTOR STRANGE

11.04 - HACKSAW RIDGE

11.04 - LOVING (limited)

11.11 - ARRIVAL

11.11 - BILLY LYNN'S LONG HALFTIME WALK

11.18 - BLEED FOR THIS

11.18 - THE EDGE OF SEVENTEEN

11.18 - FANTASTIC BEASTS AND WHERE TO FIND THEM

11.18 - MANCHESTER BY THE SEA (limited)

11.18 - NOCTURNAL ANIMALS (limited / wide December 9)

11.23 - ALLIED

11.25 - LION (limited)

12.02 - JACKIE (limited)

12.09 - LA LA LAND (limited / wide December 16)

12.09 - MISS SLOAN (limited)

12.09 - OFFICE CHRISTMAS PARTY

12.16 - COLLATERAL BEAUTY

12.16 - THE FOUNDER
\

12.16 - ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY

12.16 - THE SPACE BETWEEN US

12.21 - ASSASSIN'S CREED

12.21 - PASSENGERS

12.21 - PATRIOTS DAY (limited release / wide January 13)

12.23 - A MONSTER CALLS (limited release / wide January 6)

12.23 - SILENCE (limited)

12.25 - 20TH CENTURY WOMEN (limited release / wide January 20)

12.25 - FENCES

12.25 - GOLD

12.25 - HIDDEN FIGURES (limited release / wide January 6)

12.25 - LIVE BY NIGHT (limited release / wide January 13)

12.25 - WHY HIM?

12.28 - PATERSON (limited)

For context, these are my fifteen most anticipated for the remainder of the year:

15. Office Christmas Party
14. Paterson
13. Lion
12. Live By Night
11. Nocturnal Animals
10. Jackie
09. Loving
08. Manchester by the Sea
07. Allied
06. 20th Century Women
05. La La Land
04. Silence
03. Passengers
02. Arrival
01. Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
double aught
AG
"The Accountant" has to be the most boring title for a movie ever.
double aught
AG
But thanks for all the links.
Kashchei
AG
R1
hunter2012
AG
Arrival sounds really interesting, and the cast even more so... I hadn't heard of it before now, but I'll now anticipate the trailer on this one.
TajMaballer
AG
I'm really excited for Magnificent Seven! Also, TC, you have La La Land in your most anticipated, but noticed that you don't have the trailer or release date (12/16)

Thanks for putting this together!
TCTTS
AG
Dang it, can't believe I missed that one. Just added it. Thanks for the heads up. Also, technically it hits on 12/2 in limited release and then goes wide on the 16th.
SeattleAgJr
I am surprisingly only interested in less than 5 of these movies.

And I fully expect Star Wars to disappoint.

You also left off Lost City of Z.

TCTTS
AG
^ The Lost City of Z isn't a guaranteed 2016 release. It doesn't even have a domestic distributor attached yet.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
^ The Lost City of Z isn't a guaranteed 2016 release. It doesn't even have a domestic distributor attached yet.
Yeah, but it is being shown in limited release this year to qualify for award season.
TCTTS
AG
Trust me. As of now, it's not. It's currently scheduled to close the New York Film Festival in mid-October and that's it. That's not a premiere and doesn't qualify it for awards season. Again, a domestic distributor hasn't even come aboard yet, and only when that happens, and when that distributor releases the movie publicly, will it quality for awards season, IF that happens to be before the end of the year. Otherwise, this is a 2017 release.
TCTTS
AG
In case my word alone doesn't convince you, from three days ago...

quote:
At the moment, "Lost City of Z" has no distributor attached. Filmmakers anticipate a 2017 release, which would mean that the movie would sit out the 2016 awards derby.

http://variety.com/2016/film/news/the-lost-city-of-z-new-york-film-festival-2016-1201829118/
FancyKetchup14
AG
Thanks for the links TC. I think the one I'm looking forward to the most is Magnificent Seven. I'm getting my hopes up with that cast and setting.
TCTTS
AG
- Debut trailer for ARRIVAL is rumored to drop on Tuesday.
- New trailer for ROGUE ONE is dropping Thursday.
- And with the PASSENGERS trailer delayed last week, it could likely hit sometime this week as well.

Could be a VERY big week for my top three anticipated movies of the year.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Nice.
G Martin 87
AG
Also looking forward to Passengers. What about Dunkirk? Any advance word?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Teaser for Dunkirk dropped last week.
TCTTS
AG
Dunkirk is still in the middle of filming, and no one's getting access to that script.
Duncan Idaho
Why does lost city of z sound familiar?
spanky
AG
quote:
Arrival sounds really interesting, and the cast even more so... I hadn't heard of it before now, but I'll now anticipate the trailer on this one.
Maybe because the name was changed from Story of Your Life to Arrival. Anywho, the comments I've seen about the advanced screenings online have been pretty good.

The movie is based on a 39 page short story by Ted Chiang. Will be interesting to see how this is adapted. Some of the short blurbs I've read about the movie don't really interpret the story as I did while reading. I've heard the word flashback a lot which is misleading to me. For those interested in the short story
TCTTS
AG
PLEASE delete the second to last sentence in your post. That could be giving a lot away. The script really hinges on that aspect in order to deliver a surprise/emotional payoff in the end.
spanky
AG
I guess that kind of also goes along with changing the name of the movie.
TCTTS
AG
Good point. Thanks.
Ag Since 83
AG

quote:

12.21 - PATRIOT'S DAY

"An account of Boston Police Commissioner Ed Davis's actions in the events leading up to the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing and the aftermath, which includes the city-wide manhunt to find the terrorists behind it." Features a great cast in Mark Wahlberg, Michelle Monaghan, John Goodman, Kevin Bacon, and J.K. Simmons.
This better have Big Papi saying "this is our ****ing city!!!"
TCTTS
AG
I can't remember the last time two new movie stills this simple and straightforward got me this excited. Also, stills like this almost always mean that a trailer is imminent, and the Tuesday talk to definitely starting to heat up (for Arrival, obviously)...

GiveEmHellBill
AG
What?

No mention of The Mechanic: Resurrection? A movie I literally had not even heard of until I saw a commercial last week? And features Tommy Lee Jones (!). WTF?
TCTTS
AG
And just to re-itterate, Arrival is NOT an action movie...

quote:
"This isn't a graphic-novel universe or creating a new universe. This happens in our world today, as it exists," Adams tells USA Today, who have debuted the images. As for her character see adds, "She felt real, like somebody I would know and somebody I would like to have a conversation with. Emotionally, the journey she takes in this was devastating to me."

Renner also talked about the aliens, saying they are "not goofy creatures with guns who are going to kill us," with Adams chiming in that they look "different than what you would have thought." As for the tone, Renner adds it's like "if you blended a [Stanley] Kubrick and a [Steven] Spielbergmovie." He concludes, "If you're a parent, it's going to wreck you. It's big and there are thriller elements and tension, but it's going to lean much more into a thinking person's film."

https://thefilmstage.com/news/first-look-at-amy-adams-and-jeremy-renner-in-denis-villeneuves-sci-fi-drama-arrival/

Anyway, we can dive deeper in a dedicated thread once the trailer hits tomorrow. Just wanted to manage expectations a bit first.
watty
AG
Great thread
TCTTS
AG
Added the teaser for the trailer for Arrival (11.11), along with the trailer for Moonlight (10.21) to the OP.

Moonlight, in particular, probably won't be a TexAgs favorite by any means, but it's a stunning trailer, and a few of the reviews so far are calling it the best film of the year. Someone in the film - whether it be a performance or the writer/director himself - is winning an Oscar. My pick is Naomie Harris as the mom. Just feels like one of those roles.
Ag Since 83
AG
Arrival kind of looks like Sphere above sea level
TCTTS
AG
Added the teaser trailer for Allied (11.23) to the OP, starring Brad Pitt and Marion Cotillard, directed by Robert Zemeckis.

Man, what a week for trailers. An Arrival tease, a full Rogue One trailer, and now this. Still no Passengers, but I can't complain.
G Martin 87
AG
Glad to see Ted Chiang getting some attention from Hollywood. I'd love to see "Hell is the Absence of God" produced too.
Icecream_Ag
S
Probably not a blockbuster but what's the deal with Morgan? Kate Mara and Rose Leslie had me intrigued.
wangus12
AG
Thanks TC. Always like these threads because so many of these movies don't get any publicity. Looks like a pretty darn solid lineup for the Fall
TCTTS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.