Last Chance U- Netflix

12,999 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by coupland boy
20ags08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Has anyone else watched this series? I went back 5 pages and saw nothing.

I watched episode one after a guy at work was talking about it. Seems like it will be a fun show.

It's about a Juco football team in Mississippi. They've been pretty dominant lately picking up players that have been kicked off D1 teams and giving them a second chance. Kind of like Cam Newton & Blinn.

Just interested to see if anyone else has watched!
Duncan Idaho
This a reality show? Or a comedy?
Btron
AG
I got an email from Netflix on this. Curious to hear what others think, I'm a little skeptical. Is it more Hard Knocks or a series long Aggie FBlife?
nickstro66
AG
I've watched the first 4 episodes and I'm hooked. It has been very enjoyable. Really sheds some insight into what goes on in a JUCO program. I'd recommend it.
20ags08
AG
It's a documentary type show, not a comedy. Definitely more hard knocks than Aggie FB life.

Lots of F bombs for sure so NSFW.
Silky Johnston
It is a documentary about a dominant community college where highly-touted players go for a second chance. There was a very good article in GQ or some magazine about this school.

The series is a very good and I finished it over the weekend. I don't know how there wasn't a fight every single game. Some of those guys were straight up thugs.
Andyzipp
AG
Finished it over the weekend. I thought it was really well done. However, if you're holding on to the myth of the student/athlete, this will kill it for you pretty quickly.

The star of the show might be the Brittany, the team's academic advisor. She sounds like she's running a day care most of the time.

bearkatag15
AG
Its the school that our starting left tackle went to for JUCO, Avery Gennesy. Really well done documentary. I binge watched it over last weekend.
K Bo
AG
Just finished it up. After watching I hope, even more than before, our D destroys "J5" and Auburn.
bigboykin
AG
quote:
This a reality show? Or a comedy?
I also thought from the title and OP description that this was a comedy a la Blue Mountain State. I'll probably watch this... but I would've definitely watched that.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Just finished
Well worth the watch
Drake aTm
AG
Lmao.

So far Franklin reminds me of your typical primadona QB
Coppell97
AG
Very good show.
Canyon99
Damn that was excellent. It pains me to see some of these kids throwing away a potential future because they lack the ability to resist the urge to quit when things get tough. The head coach is a sack of *****
The Dog Lord
AG
Through 2 episodes so far. Definitely pretty good. Surprising how much they get you to care within that short time frame.It was tough to see them lose that game in episode two. Reminded me of a few Aggie games...
LittleElmAg13
quote:
Finished it over the weekend. I thought it was really well done. However, if you're holding on to the myth of the student/athlete, this will kill it for you pretty quickly.

The star of the show might be the Brittany, the team's academic advisor. She sounds like she's running a day care most of the time.

I'm sure there are a lot of athletes at EMCC that care about their academics just like any division one program. The problem is that the ones that are talented enough to go to a division one school are at a JUCO for a reason. Usually they are too lazy or unmotivated to do the school work necessary to move on.
chris93
AG
Favorite line, from star running back to head coach: "You knew I was thug when you recruited me, homeboy!"
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
Subtitles had to be used.

This isn't a critically acclaimed foreign film. Freaking subtitles had to be used.

Murica!
Gerald Tarrant
just finished it, great little docu-series. camera work and editing was on-point. the adviser woman was awesome. i definitely found myself getting attached to Ronald Ollie like she did, it was honestly hard not to root for the kid. Law and Roberts were both dudes I liked by the end.

i wanted to like JF5 in this but he was such a prima donna. i kept hoping they'd just keep Roberts in.

i really liked all the assistant coaches but **** the head coach, what a hypocritical POS
hph6203
AG
Didn't realize I was watching Varsity Blues the documentary.
TheDoctor
AG
1.) God bless Ms. Wagner.
2.) I wanna destroy JF5 and Auburn this fall.
3.) Great series.
chipotle
Good stuff
Texags is garbage
quote:
Subtitles had to be used.

This isn't a critically acclaimed foreign film. Freaking subtitles had to be used.

Murica!
I chuckled at this before watching the show, now I dang near think this is on point.
Texags is garbage
quote:
3.) Great series.
She single?!?
Drake aTm
AG
quote:
quote:
3.) Great series.
She single?!?

Single mom.

She's got baggage...
Some Junkie Cosmonaut
AG
quote:
i really liked all the assistant coaches but **** the head coach, what a hypocritical POS

couldn't stand that dude. the game where he throws the water bottle because he wanted gatorade he was deserving of a swift kick to his fat ass.

listen buddy, you're the coach at f'ng emcc. how about a little perspective, lombardi.
hph6203
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
3.) Great series.
She single?!?

Single mom.

She's got baggage...

She had me nervous the entire series, thinking she was gonna get caught up in one of those sex scandals. Single mom, not overly attractive, around athletes all day, and lonely.
Texags is garbage
Brittany Bell (homecoming queen nominee blonde) is definitely trying to use this docuseries as a launchpad for something. I'm not complaining though.

I'll be rule one compliant...

Texags is garbage
Just finished it up. I seriously don't blame them for that brawl. The coach encouraging them to run up the score was the key catalyst from what I saw. At some point you have to stick up for your teammates no matter what. DJ Law (I believe) could have seriously been harmed if the team didn't come to his aid.
The Dog Lord
AG
I agree that DJ Law might have been in a real bad situation there. He shouldn't have slapped the player who was going to get the targeting penalty though.

My biggest takeaway was that I saw players, coaches, referees, and at least one cop that can't handle their temper. Thank goodness there were others there that were focused on stopping each of the situations.
ce1994
AG
We are not doing these young men any favors in treating them like children. Asking them if they have pencils and paper? Give me a break. Somewhere you have to draw the line and say you are a grown man, act like one.

Good series. That coach will end up getting arrested.
ce1994
AG
Also, those guys were not near as bad as I thought they were going to be. Some of them were actually pretty decent. Dumb as a sack of hammers but decent guys.
Skinny Wrinkles
AG
Good show. Reminded me of a lot of the day to day football stuff that I haven't thought about since HS.
Kellso
quote:
just finished it, great little docu-series. camera work and editing was on-point. the adviser woman was awesome. i definitely found myself getting attached to Ronald Ollie like she did, it was honestly hard not to root for the kid. Law and Roberts were both dudes I liked by the end.

i wanted to like JF5 in this but he was such a prima donna. i kept hoping they'd just keep Roberts in.

I thought the head coach was a POS. If you are running up the score then you need to take some responsibility when a fight breaks out. Calling your mainly African American team a bunch of thugs after you get suspended two games for attacking a referee made me lose all respect for him.

Disagree with others on this thread. John Franklin had me cracking up almost every time he talked. I played with an athlete in high school who looks and acts almost exactly like him. This guy could also back it up and ended up playing college football at an SEC school (Arkansas).
puryearag85
AG
Bet the under for wins this year for auburn
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.