***Star Trek Discovery (new series)***

16,285 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gomerschlep
israeliag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I like the aesthetics personally. It looks good but agree with ya TCTTS that it doesn't feel fresh. I didn't get a Janeway feel that someone else mentioned but more of a goofy-less Riker feel (rising star XO who should have their own command - as was mentioned in the beginning of the trailer).

I think we all had the disappointment that it's pre-TOS timeline from the early news of this show, but from the trailer I was more disappojnted that this seemed to be a personal approach. Hopefully that's more of a trailer thing, but to me Star Trek at it's best was an ensemble piece. (With the exception of the terrific personal approach of First Contact, but unless you have a Sir Patrick Stewart caliber star your not going to pull off a personal story in this world, IMO.) No offense to Sasha, but she's not getting knighted anytime soon.
TCTTS
AG
That's a really good point. It felt like something was missing, and that ensemble vibe was definitely it. I really like the main actress, but yeah, it needs more of a team feel.
redline248
AG
When I watched that promo, at first I thought the Klingons were the race of whatever alien the antagonist was in Beyond.
israeliag
AG
israeliag said:

not sure really where else to put this (this thread should do) but this edit of Star Trek The Motion Picture to the soundtrack of Tron: Legacy is a piece of art (though to be fair, you could put anything to that soundtrack and it would instantly become amazing):

https://vimeo.com/217336882
I know I'm quoting myself, but did anyone watch this? I was pretty blown away by this edit.
txagman1998
AG
Paramount/CBS has really mismanaged this franchise. They need to be going forward, not backward. Even worse, FOX has a Star Trek parody show coming this fall that looks far more interesting (and funnier) then Discovery, and I don't have to subscribe to another streaming service to watch. Of course, it doesn't hurt that Adrianne Palicki is in the cast...

By the way, the trailers for Ghosted, and LA to Vegas (midseason replacement), both on FOX, look good too, though I won't post them here so as not to completely hijack the thread.
Paladin05
AG
israeliag said:

israeliag said:

not sure really where else to put this (this thread should do) but this edit of Star Trek The Motion Picture to the soundtrack of Tron: Legacy is a piece of art (though to be fair, you could put anything to that soundtrack and it would instantly become amazing):

https://vimeo.com/217336882
I know I'm quoting myself, but did anyone watch this? I was pretty blown away by this edit.
I did - it was pretty cool. I had never thought about the parallels in storyline and soundtrack between those two movies. Star Trek: The Motion Picture gets a lot of crap for not being a good movie, but it's always been my second-favorite of the series.
Paladin05
AG
txagman1998 said:

Even worse, FOX has a Star Trek parody show coming this fall that looks far more interesting (and funnier) then Discovery, and I don't have to subscribe to another streaming service to watch.
That is exactly what I thought when I saw the trailer for Orville. What is CBS thinking?
The Debt
TCTTS said:

So they took a page from the JJ Abrahms playbook and added 30,000 starbursts.
israeliag
AG
Reviving this thread to discuss more now that the official trailer came out.

And I have to say, I'm very much impressed with it. Looks good, very good too considering this is coming from CBS (I wasn't expecting good production value). The two captains (Yeoh and Isaacs) look promising (one of them has got to die pretty early, right?), and I'm hoping they fill out the rest of the bridge crew with promising characters that develop in a convincing manner.

The theme looks good: I've always felt wanting in Star Trek's examination of military in the Federation (but I probably ought to go back and rewatch the latter parts of DS9). This looks to hit hard on the military/war aspect (and the battle scene looked great). The Klingons look weird, though - maybe they're going to show how Klingons became human looking in TOS?

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if most of what we saw was from the pilot. If all else fails, then at least there's a whacky-dickish Rainn Wilson to look forward to.
roveram
AG
I'll continue the derailment of this thread and talk about DS9 some more (couldn't find the Ds9 discussion thread).. I finished it on Netflix last week. It's well worth the time. Just keep in mind you have to pay your dues for a few seasons. I think it was S4 where it began to hit its stride. The Dominon War was great as well as the interaction among the various empires. It's just as good, if not better, than TNG.

As far as the new series goes, I'll wait and see what this board has to say about it.
jabberwalkie09
AG
israeliag said:

And I have to say, I'm very much impressed with it. Looks good, very good too considering this is coming from CBS (I wasn't expecting good production value). The two captains (Yeoh and Isaacs) look promising (one of them has got to die pretty early, right?), and I'm hoping they fill out the rest of the bridge crew with promising characters that develop in a convincing manner.

The theme looks good: I've always felt wanting in Star Trek's examination of military in the Federation (but I probably ought to go back and rewatch the latter parts of DS9). This looks to hit hard on the military/war aspect (and the battle scene looked great). The Klingons look weird, though - maybe they're going to show how Klingons became human looking in TOS?

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if most of what we saw was from the pilot. If all else fails, then at least there's a whacky-dickish Rainn Wilson to look forward to.

The later seasons of DS9 deal with it, and the later seasons of Enterprise also deal with it some. I remember the episode with Archer and Hernandez (the captain of the Columbia) and he comments about how he wishes he had listened to the designer (Jefferies I think) and agreed to take more and better weapons as he reflected on the crew members he had lost over the years. Then there's the point at which Reed and the commander of the MACO's (Major Hayes) butt heads when it came to tactics and even command.

As to the Klingons, and to some extent the uniforms, the show has been said to be in the prime timeline but aesthetically this screams JJ-verse to me..... IIRC the show is supposed to take place about a year after TOS' "The Cage".
jabberwalkie09
AG
roveram said:

I'll continue the derailment of this thread and talk about DS9 some more (couldn't find the Ds9 discussion thread).. I finished it on Netflix last week. It's well worth the time. Just keep in mind you have to pay your dues for a few seasons. I think it was S4 where it began to hit its stride. The Dominon War was great as well as the interaction among the various empires. It's just as good, if not better, than TNG.

As far as the new series goes, I'll wait and see what this board has to say about it.

It depends on the season but I find DS9 to be stronger overall than TNG, though TNG had some good characters in it... excluding Troi. One thing I appreciated about DS9 is how they developed the other races. Even the Breen who were pretty enigmatic were developed to some degree.

If you liked DS9, give Babylon 5 a chance. It aired about the same time as DS9 but was on TNT. Not sure where you can find it streaming, but you used to be able to purchase the seasons on amazon and stream them. Like with DS9, you have to live through the growing pains of season one, but Bruce Boxleitner plays John Sherridan starting in season two premier and it picks up from there. Bill Mumy who played Lennier in B5 is also in DS9's "The Siege of AR-558".
double aught
txagman1998
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
So... Apparently the main character we follow in this series is supposed to be a foster child of Sarek and Amanda........ Which would make her Spock's sister....
TriAg2010
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

So... Apparently the main character we follow in this series is supposed to be a foster child of Sarek and Amanda........ Which would make her Spock's sister....

It's ST:V all over again.
jabberwalkie09
AG
It's worse. It's looking like this is effectively another damn reboot.

(I liked ST:V, and realize I'm probably in the minority that hold that opinion.)
Gin Rummy
DS9 is my all time favorite Trek series.
JuliusCaesarAggie
Guys, I think we need to prepare for the reality that this is going to suck and its going to suck hard.
gomerschlep
AG
I'd say thats a safe bet

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.