***Star Trek Discovery (new series)***

16,279 Views | 158 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by gomerschlep
AliasMan02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I didn't see a thread for this when I searched, so here it is.

It's confirmed that this series takes place in the prime universe, and is a continuous story rather than being episodic.

Here's where it gets confusing: this show is not in television, but on CBS All Access. So I guess I'll pay $6/month to watch this show, even though I subscribe to their channel? Anybody know what the hell is up with this? Why would they produce a show from a franchise and then not put it on the air?

Anyway, it starts in January.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Not a fan of the ship design to be honest. I'll make a decision on whether to subscribe to CBS all access once they have an actual trailer for the show though......
israeliag
AG
Not much for a teaser, but I'll watch.
InnerCityAg
That ship design is actually kind of cool, but it is lame as **** if this is supposed to take place congruent with the movies. Why can't they make them look the same?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
That ship design is actually kind of cool, but it is lame as **** if this is supposed to take place congruent with the movies. Why can't they make them look the same?
Which movie timeline are you referring to? This takes place in the same timeline of TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager and all the movies prior to the 2009 reboot. The series Enterprise applies to both timelines given its place in time prior to the TOS era.
InnerCityAg
quote:
quote:
Which movie timeline are you referring to? This takes place in the same timeline of TOS, TNG, DS9, and Voyager and all the movies prior to the 2009 reboot. The series Enterprise applies to both timelines given its place in time prior to the TOS era.

Ok. I didn't realize that. It might work. What time frame are they supposed to be in? (pre/post TOS? pre/post TNG?)
Thomas Ford 91
AG
Looks like a mashup of federation and klingon designs
InnerCityAg
quote:

This was my first thought as well. Hopefully this all works out. It's a shame this isn't on the real CBS station. I think that alone is going to kill the series.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I believe that question was asked, but they didn't provide the answer of when it is set. I don't think we will know until the actual trailer based on uniforms as to what era it will be in. There was a rumor that it might be post Nemesis, but given the ship design in the teaser I'm not sure that is the case (ship designs in DS9 and Voyager, not to mention the Steamrunner and Akira classes seen at the Battle of Sector 001 in First Contact are much sleeker in appearance).

The registry number for the Discovery in the teaser is NCC-1031 which would put its build and launch some time prior to the Enterprise (NCC-1701) in the TOS before her refit as seen in The Motion Picture. That isn't to say that this couldn't take place at any place in the timeline though because ship classes like the Miranda (U.S.S. Reliant) and Excelsior class (ship of the same name and the Enterprise B) through the Dominion War. That's almost 100 years of service for a class including the refit.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

This was my first thought as well. Hopefully this all works out. It's a shame this isn't on the real CBS station. I think that alone is going to kill the series.
It looks almost as if a Klingon Vor'cha class cruiser and a Miranda class had a ******* love child and this is what popped out.

And I'm not sure it will kill the series because it will be streaming on Netflix in every other country besides the U.S. and Canada. Yep.
hunter2012
AG
quote:

They had an alliance between the 2 at the end of DS9. And since voyager was almost exclusively in another quadrant I would expect the state of the quadrant to be the most similar to where it was at the end of DS9.
InnerCityAg
quote:
I believe that question was asked, but they didn't provide the answer of when it is set. I don't think we will know until the actual trailer based on uniforms as to what era it will be in. There was a rumor that it might be post Nemesis, but given the ship design in the teaser I'm not sure that is the case (ship designs in DS9 and Voyager, not to mention the Steamrunner and Akira classes seen at the Battle of Sector 001 in First Contact are much sleeker in appearance).

The registry number for the Discovery in the teaser is NCC-1031 which would put its build and launch some time prior to the Enterprise (NCC-1701) in the TOS before her refit as seen in The Motion Picture. That isn't to say that this couldn't take place at any place in the timeline though because ship classes like the Miranda (U.S.S. Reliant) and Excelsior class (ship of the same name and the Enterprise B) through the Dominion War. That's almost 100 years of service for a class including the refit.

I did a quick search of the Enterprise and it seems that each version of it is good for about 8 years which seems kind of low for a ship of that magnitude. You would think they could upgrade something like that and keep it going for 50+ years. I guess there were large time periods where there just wasn't an Enterprise.

It also makes sense that the 1031 designation would mean it is pre-Enterprise. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Well, I think that's kind of misleading to say that they were only good for 8 or so years. Most dates I've seen for the original Constitution Class Enterprise (no A, B, C, D, or E) put her having served roughly 40 years before The Search for Spock. I mean, Christopher Pike and Kirk both were captains for her. The C (Ambassador Class) and D (Galaxy Class) Enterprises were both lost, so I think it would be fair to say their service in the fleet was cut short.
Ganondorf
AG
I'm not keen on the very klingon ship design, but hopefully it'll grow on me.

CBS all access will suck.
israeliag
AG
The ship does have a retro look to it. Maybe they saw the Axanar fan film attempt and we're like - hey let's just do that.

I do like that they went with a name of a space shuttle - doubt that was coincidence.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
The ship does have a retro look to it. Maybe they saw the Axanar fan film attempt and we're like - hey let's just do that.

I do like that they went with a name of a space shuttle - doubt that was coincidence.

The Enterprise was the original space shuttle.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Except that Axanar's Ares Class actually looks good and some what original (I think it is basically derived from the Luna Class which an example is the U.S.S. Titan that Riker took command of, personally).

Though it has been said that the Discovery's design may not be her final one.
tamusc
AG
To be clear, this will take place in the Prime universe (not the new one) and be between Enterprise and TOS as far as timeline goes, correct?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
To be clear, this will take place in the Prime universe (not the new one) and be between Enterprise and TOS as far as timeline goes, correct?
Yes, the prime universe and we don't know about the setting in time for sure as of yet (they said they want to keep us guessing), but given the registry number I think that is a fair guess.
Hulla Baller
AG
I'm pretty sure it hasn't been confirmed yet when the show is actually taking place. I could be wrong though.
TCTTS
AG
I want to have hope in this series, but the two teasers released so far have looked like video game trailers from the late '90s. Just embarrassing. Also, the fact that this is airing only on CBS' app (save for the pilot) tells me this is going to be an incredibly cheap show.
TXAG 05
AG
Looks a lot like the designs for the failed 2nd TV series that turned into the original movie.

tamusc
AG
quote:
quote:
Yes, the prime universe and we don't know about the setting in time for sure as of yet (they said they want to keep us guessing), but given the registry number I think that is a fair guess.
Yeah, what I saw was based on the registry number.
tamusc
AG
quote:
I'm pretty sure it hasn't been confirmed yet when the show is actually taking place. I could be wrong though.
Thanks, I had seen quite a bit of speculation and discussion on various sites, but couldn't find any actual confirmation from the showrunners.
tamusc
AG
quote:
I want to have hope in this series, but the two teasers released so far have looked like video game trailers from the late '90s. Just embarrassing. Also, the fact that this is airing only on CBS' app (save for the pilot) tells me this is going to be an incredibly cheap show.
I'm hoping for the best, but preparing for the worst. I agree with your comments and fear that my preparation might be needed. Hoping that what they've shown us is just REALLY early stuff and not anywhere near final as it looks almost as dated as the CG from Babylon 5.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Not that I disagree with you at all, but the series has some veteran Trek people working on it. Fuller did write for TNG and DS9, and Nicholas Meyer. Nicholas Meyer did write and direct The Wrath of Khan, co-wrote The Voyage Home, and co-wrote and directed The Undiscovered Country. Then it's also been reported that Joe Menosky was also added to the writing team as well and has writing credits spanning over TNG, DS9, and Voyager. Actually he wrote some of the better episodes of Voyager IMO, specifically the two-parters "Year of Hell" and "Equinox" which are a couple of my favorite episodes from Voyager.

I think the story potential is there, but I'm not expecting earth shattering SFX. That said, the cgi in the teasers has been underwhelming.
EMY92
AG
quote:
quote:

The Enterprise was the original space shuttle.
The original space shuttle was named Constitution, but Star Trek fans did a huge write in campaign and were able to get the name changed to Enterprise.
SF2004
AG
quote:
Before I say this I know that times have changed. There are many more slots to air programing with cable now then in the 90s.

I would agree with you about how it is being distributed, except for the fact that TOS did poorly and got canceled. Only after in syndication did it get the following it has today.

TNG couldn't draw ratings in primetime, it was moved all over the place at the discretion of the local affiliates. Where I grew up it aired at 10:30PM (after local news) on Saturday nights, right before American Gladiators. TNG went 7 seasons and had a good run.

DS9 was released to syndication and Voyager was on UPN (do they even exist?). Both had good runs.

For some reason these shows have never done well as a primetime national time slot, so maybe CBS is doing it this way because it has shown to work much better.

As far as the continuous story vs episodic? I am unsure as to how well it will do. TNG has syndication staying power because you can turn on any episode and watch it, then walk away. It had very few over arching storylines and a handful of two part episodes. DS9 started episodic, but went to continuous story with the dominion war.

Voyager was episodic mostly but themed as "their encounters while trying to get home".
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
DS9 was released to syndication and Voyager was on UPN (do they even exist?). Both had good runs.
UPN and The WB became The CW.

One of the first arcs that I really remember for DS9 was the three episode arc beginning with "The Jem'Hadar" which was the finale for season two, then the following two episode for season three. Season three started to have some more episodic arcs, but the way they worked the arcs and how they overlapped as pretty good. For instance you had the Changeling infiltration going on which spurned the Klingon War and Gowron withdrawing from the Khitomer Accords. Then also mixed in there, you had Eddington and the Maquis taking advantage of the situation. And that's the majority of season four for DS9.
hunter2012
AG
DS9 is so much better in the Netflix era. It's a lot easier to see the big picture by binge watching.
ccaggie05
AG
I've never watched Star Trek anything except for the original Abrams film, which I understand is an alternative timeline/reboot or whatever.

Anyways, is this show actually going to be accessible for somebody who hasn't seen the dozens of seasons of previous shows or the older movies?
hunter2012
AG
quote:
I've never watched Star Trek anything except for the original Abrams film, which I understand is an alternative timeline/reboot or whatever.

Anyways, is this show actually going to be accessible for somebody who hasn't seen the dozens of seasons of previous shows or the older movies?

I would think so, they probably think they'll get a fresh crowd from the movie reboot. Most of the series can be watched in a vacuum anyways. If they reference another series it's a wink wink type scene. DS9 started with a wink to TNG, and Voyager started with a wink to DS9 but I think it's largely because the series were overlapping both at time of filming and chronologically so they were trying to draw the viewers to the newer show.

I think if there's any critical, "this is how the galaxy works" type stuff they would explain it in the show.
israeliag
AG
quote:
quote:

I would think so, they probably think they'll get a fresh crowd from the movie reboot. Most of the series can be watched in a vacuum anyways. If they reference another series it's a wink wink type scene. DS9 started with a wink to TNG, and Voyager started with a wink to DS9 but I think it's largely because the series were overlapping both at time of filming and chronologically so they were trying to draw the viewers to the newer show.

I think if there's any critical, "this is how the galaxy works" type stuff they would explain it in the show.

Or just come here and you'll have plenty of nerds to explain and then argue about the explanation
jabberwalkie09
AG
txagman1998
AG
I have no idea what CBS is doing with their streaming strategy. I just don't see how they can go it alone with All-Access and expect to get any kind of critical mass. I don't think this new Star Trek series will be enough to raise subscriber numbers and I would guess that this series (not including the pilot) will launch with the lowest distribution numbers of any previous Star Trek series. CBS would be far better off in my opinion if they were part of the Hulu joint venture with ABC, NBC, and Fox.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.