So a Blair Witch Sequel is Happening - Adam Wingard

3,176 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by FtBendTxAg
Saxsoon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So apparently they decided to burn comic con to the ground. It has been officially revealed that The Woods is in fact the Blair Witch remake. Below is a snapshot link of the title card and a review from.comic con. The review is very hyperbolic but something tells me the author isn't far off. Adam Wingate directed the fantastic Your Next and the Guest which subverted both genres.

[link]http://www.indiewire.com/2016/07/the-woods-adam-wingard-blair-witch-project-sequel-comic-con-1201708816/[\link]

[link]http://bloody-disgusting.com/movie/3399467/review-blair-witch-the-woods-horror-game-changer-will-completely-wreck/[\link]
captkirk
AG
This sounds promising:

quote:

Here's the thing about Blair Witch that's a bit of a spoiler this is your only warning Wingard and Barrett are magicians using sleight of hand to distract the audience. It's pretty clear that the duo know a lot of horror fans were disappointed or underwhelmed by The Blair Witch Project and its finale (no disrespect intended). This film pretends to be that, and while the audience believes more and more that they're watching a quasi-remake of the original, Wingard and Barrett are preparing a third act twist that's as intense as any horror film has ever been.

Blair Witch won't affect seasoned horror fans (as much), but rest assured that it will destroy everyone else. This film will hurt people. It's the emotional experience that transcends traditional narrative storytelling and ascends to a place of Nirvana. What I mean by this is that, whether they can verbalize it or not, moviegoers understand the basic structure to a story. So, while someone watching Blair Witch may think they know what's going to happen next, they don't. The film breaks the mold of traditional horror and pushes the boundaries to the absolute brink.

FtBendTxAg
AG
I remember the blair witch frenzy well, i remember seeing it a few times at the River Oaks theater with friends when kids still thought the **** was real. Nostalgic for sure, so I'll be seeing this no doubt.
Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think it was so hyped by the time I saw it that it wasn't even remotely scary. I also remember the flyers posted about the hand held camera stuff making people nauseous.

I also remember Chris Rock's joke at one of the awards shows about how he "heard that it only cost $200k to make. Somebody's walking around with $195k."
ro828
Because I enjoyed YOU'RE NEXT so much I'm looking forward to this. But if it's all handheld cameras I'll wait until it comes out on DVD. When I saw the original film (on VHS) it didn't take me long to figure that people didn't get nauseous with fear, it was just motion sickness the same way CLOVERFIELD worked. I'm probably the only person in America bold enough to admit having seen the Blair Witch sequel and having enjoyed. It didn't change my life, but it was a fun movie that did what it set out to do.
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
I thought BW was good. I feel like it got a bad wrap due to its own hype and expectations that got outa control.
Sex Panther
AG
Adam Wingard. Will watch.
mhayden
Never really understood the "Your Next" love. Thought it was average at best with an absolutely painful "plan foiling" at the end reminiscent of old Bond movies where the villain explains his evil plan because surely the hero won't escape.
GiveEmHellBill
AG
I am a fan of the Blair Witch movie. The setup was unique: the three actors knew they were filming a movie, but didn't know what was going to happen to them each night, so that made the tension and fear they felt much more real when all that s* ht went down. That fear of what's out there in the woods just out of sight is what got me.

Some don't feel that way, but that's the thing about scary movies: what scares some doesn't scare others.

My fear about this sequel is that they filmmakers will stray from the original and show too much. Too much blood, too much cgi, any of the witch herself....this will turn into another standard gory horror film. And that's not what the original was at all.

But, I paid money to see that craptacular cash-in sequel in 2000 (maybe the worst movie I've ever sat in a theater to see), so I'm sure I'll give this one a chance.
Presley OBannons Sword
I was one of the kids who saw the original in the river oaks theater on opening weekend and thought it was real. Scared the **** out of me. Literally couldn't go to sleep that night. Learned the next day after some (early on) internet searching that it wasn't real, and I was both relieved and disappointed.

And as someone somewhat embarrassingly posted up, I too enjoyed the sequel. Yeah it was crummy, but we saw it one drunken night in college at the theater off highway 6, and had fun with it. Havent seen it since then, but I remember it being fun.

And for the love of god, it's YOU'RE next.
TexasAggie_02
AG
quote:
This sounds promising:

quote:

Here's the thing about Blair Witch that's a bit of a spoiler this is your only warning Wingard and Barrett are magicians using sleight of hand to distract the audience. It's pretty clear that the duo know a lot of horror fans were disappointed or underwhelmed by The Blair Witch Project and its finale (no disrespect intended). This film pretends to be that, and while the audience believes more and more that they're watching a quasi-remake of the original, Wingard and Barrett are preparing a third act twist that's as intense as any horror film has ever been.

Blair Witch won't affect seasoned horror fans (as much), but rest assured that it will destroy everyone else. This film will hurt people. It's the emotional experience that transcends traditional narrative storytelling and ascends to a place of Nirvana. What I mean by this is that, whether they can verbalize it or not, moviegoers understand the basic structure to a story. So, while someone watching Blair Witch may think they know what's going to happen next, they don't. The film breaks the mold of traditional horror and pushes the boundaries to the absolute brink.

plot twist: they are killed by Deadpool
AGinHI
AG
quote:
I remember the blair witch frenzy well, i remember seeing it a few times at the River Oaks theater with friends when kids still thought the **** was real. Nostalgic for sure, so I'll be seeing this no doubt.

That's where the wife and I saw it opening night. Awesome experience. I recall adults in line talking about how the story was true.
VanZandt92
Blair Witch was pretty cool.
Sex Panther
AG
My buddy and his mom took a group of us to see it for his bday. We were young, like 12 and that movie had a frenzy about it because everyone thought it was real.

The movie ends and it's deathly quiet in the theater for about 15 seconds... then some guy breaks the silence and yells, "Are you ****ing kidding me?!"

The whole theater burst out laughing... Really the only thing I remember about it, other than being disappointed.
mhayden
Was feeling like this one might have some potential, but started getting a little worried watching a very lackluster preview where you couldn't tell what was actually going on, and having two of the three quotes about how great the movie is being from the same blog (Bloody Disgusting).

RT scores starting to roll in and... yeah... looks like it's nothing we haven't seen before.
Saxsoon
AG
I just got out of a pre-screening.

This is not the second coming that Bloody Disgusting made it out to be, but it is far from the middling RT scores either. My only complaint is that the last third's dialogue is just yelling out their names, but it makes sense in the context of them being separated.

Wingard does some great stuff with the cameras and (mostly) logical reasons for each. Great use of the drone and various cameras they set up, also screwing with audience expectations a few times.

The main guy is actually pretty likable and the best friend has some hilarious dialogue throughout. The girls aren't as well developed, but one of them makes sense since one of them is the the cameraman for about 60% of the film.

Actually I was surprised by the humor, the audience reacted well to it.

The movie did fall back on some old stereotypes so the genre savvy audience groaned a couple of times.

Personally I find the original unwatchable and would personally prefer to watch this new one again rather than the original (but I will definitely be in the minority for that). While I find the original remarkable for what it did at the time, I find no enjoyment in watching it.

The last third gets trippy as hell and goes many steps beyond what the original did, I mean damn. We are talking MC Escher type ***** I personally loved that aspect and I definitely walked out of the theater with my pulse pounding. I definitely had a to take a deep breath when I walked out.

Once again, my only real complaints are the constant yelling of names and some shaking of the camera and loud sounds but don't actually see what is happening. By that I mean, two characters are trying to calm each other down (claustrophobically close) and then loud noise but no context to what is happening around because we are so close to their faces. I think the middling scores are more of a testament to the legacy of BWP and the hyperbolic BloodyDisgusting review.
The Collective
AG
I'm glad it is better than the first, but I'm not shocked to hear it didn't quite meet the hype.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I ****ing hate that site that overhyped it now. Was really looking forward to this.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:
I ****ing hate that site that overhyped it now. Was really looking forward to this.

It is still a good movie, better than a lot of found footage shlock. You should still go see it
dcAg
As Chris Rock said, "They made the Blair Witch project for $60,000. That means there is someone walking around with $59,000 in their pocket."
GiveEmHellBill
AG
Just got out of it.

First things first: I am a fan of the original. I really liked it. Blair Witch II: Book of Shadows? Never heard of it.

That being said, if you liked the original, the odds are good you will also like this. If you didn't like the original, there's nothing in this that will change your mind and why are you even reading this?

Good things were the weird couple that went with them. I thought that was handled well. Inventive use of the drone and other cameras. Being claustrophobic, one scene reaaaalllly had me squirming. It just seemed to go on forever. Good use of sound (again) and the woods were very creepy. The fact that this had a budget was also a nice change. There were some CGI, but for the most part the filmmakers relied on sound and darkness for the scares.

The things I didn't care for were.....it was TOO loud at times. Plus, I could have used about 50% less stupid jump scares of people inexplicably surprising people when they weren't expecting. Seriously, when you go up to someone who isn't facing you, do you come up behind them and stand one foot away and then say "HEY!" when they turn to you? No. No one does that. Filmmakers please...stop doing it. Also, most of the motivations of the characters made sense...until the very end. I think one character started acting a little irrationally in the face of what was happening.

All in all, an enjoyable film that won't win any awards, but is still worth it if you liked the original.
Mr. White
quote:
My buddy and his mom took a group of us to see it for his bday. We were young, like 12 and that movie had a frenzy about it because everyone thought it was real.

The movie ends and it's deathly quiet in the theater for about 15 seconds... then some guy breaks the silence and yells, "Are you ****ing kidding me?!"

The whole theater burst out laughing... Really the only thing I remember about it, other than being disappointed.

K
FtBendTxAg
AG
quote:
quote:

K

Wrong board, bro?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.