Star Trek Spoiler Thread

8,719 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FarmerJohn
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was a bit bored until they break out the crew. Everything from then until the end was a lot of fun.

Better than two, not as good as one.

I was also fairly confused on the villain's motivations even after leaving the theater, but it wasn't enough to kill the movie for me.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I was also fairly confused on the villain's motivations even after leaving the theater, but it wasn't enough to kill the movie for me.
Not that it made a whole lot of sense, but in a sense him and Shinzon from Nemesis had some overlap in their motivation. Both found purpose in conflict. Balthazar also blamed the Federation and Starfleet for abandoning him to die on the planet when his calls for help went unanswered, and after watching Kirk, the Enterprise, and Yorktown was sick with the complacency in peace that they had become to enjoy (that last bit is my perception).
bobinator
AG
A poster earlier in the thread brought up a good point though, didn't he pretty clearly have the ability to leave the planet?
jabberwalkie09
AG
And that changes the abandonment feeling and not having his distress calls answered how?

We don't know if the swarm ships were warp capable, and if they weren't then he'd have to travel near light speed however long to get home with one of them. The other option would have been repairing the Franklin, and getting her back out of the atmosphere into space and there was no good guaranty of her being repaired well enough and which was admittedly for Kirk, Sulu, and co was nice flashy plot contrivance to reach terminal velocity and some how get enough lift to not end up as a pancake on the ground.

Balthazar was a military guy, not an engineer. I'd question his ability to get that ship working without someone pretty knowledgeable of the ship. Scotty being the miracle worker that he is, was basically the encyclopedia for the ship's systems. I'd say a scientist like Spock has a better chance of getting it working again that Balthazar.
israeliag
AG
quote:
A poster earlier in the thread brought up a good point though, didn't he pretty clearly have the ability to leave the planet?
They did also mention that the Franklin did not have the speed to get where it ended up without a wormhole or some similar anomaly. They were, for all intents and purposes, lost. Until, that is, the Yorktown was built and they started probing the nebula that the Franklin, and Edison, were stranded on. Those probes gave Edison access to Yorktown, and only then the knowledge of how to get home... and how to wreak havoc on the Federation.
bobinator
AG
Good point, I forgot how far out there they were and didn't consider the speed of the swarm ships.
chipotle
2 out of 5 mehs
double aught
AG
I really enjoyed it. A fun summer action movie with a great cast.

I'm totally butchering it, but I liked "James T's" line during the final fight that went something like "I'd rather die and save others. That's what I was born into." A reference to his pops.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Decent, but I liked the first two better.

Jaylah was a pretty cool character.
I laughed at every scene Keenser (?) was in

And Zoe Zaldana is one of the sexiest human beings on earf.
West Point Aggie
AG
Loved it...better than the second one...not as good as the first...though I liked all three! Looking forward to the 4th already!!

s/b thumbs up!!
Let’s Go Brandon!
FNG
Krall - Star Trek villain
Krull - cheesy 80's movie and arcade game
Krell - extinct race from Altair IV in "Forbidden Planet"
Krill - tiny crustaceans
Kroll - Comedy Central actor

HTH
Duncan Idaho
With all of the nods to TOS in this one, I was disappointed that Kirk didn't do any Kirk moves in a fight. Stuff like the karate chop or the double fist or the cannonball etc etc
double aught
AG
quote:
With all of the nods to TOS in this one, I was disappointed that Kirk didn't do any Kirk moves in a fight. Stuff like the karate chop or the double fist or the cannonball etc etc

Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Finally got around to seeing this as I had struggled with idea of not seeing a Star Trek movie in the theater for the first time ever. I was entertained, it was a good popcorn flick but I suspect it won't really register for me as time goes on.

My rankings of these movies:

First Contact
The Wrath of Khan
The Search for Spock
The Undiscovered Country
Star Trek - 2009
Generations
Star Trek - 1979
The Voyage Home
Into Darkness
Beyond
The Final Frontier
Nemesis
Insurrection

I thought it was curious that in Into Darkness, they mirrored The Wrath of Khan and both killed and resurrected Kirk in that movie whereas it was Spock biting it in TWOK and not brought back until the next movie. And then in TSFS the Enterprise is destroyed, as in Beyond, but we did not have to wait to the next movie for a new Enterprise as we did with TVH.

I really like this cast and hope that they do another, preferably focusing on Klingons.
Bitter Old Man
AG
RE: Klingons

In this new timeline, if memory serves, didn't "Star Trek" talk about the Klingon Empire getting decimated by Nero and Uhura hearing about it. Are they using that to avoid Klingon movies?

Also, in The Undiscovered Country it talks about Kirk hating the Kilngons for killing his son, which is weird to me since I didn't know he ever had a wife/kid. But, now he obviously wouldn't have that drive since he has no wife/son.
mickeyrig06sq3
AG
quote:
Also, in The Undiscovered Country it talks about Kirk hating the Kilngons for killing his son, which is weird to me since I didn't know he ever had a wife/kid. But, now he obviously wouldn't have that drive since he has no wife/son.

Not sure if they married, but it was Caroline Marcus (Alice Eve). I think they'll bring her back. It may be why she wasn't in the last movie. She could be preggers and will have a surprise in the next movie.
israeliag
AG
quote:

In this new timeline, if memory serves, didn't "Star Trek" talk about the Klingon Empire getting decimated by Nero and Uhura hearing about it. Are they using that to avoid Klingon movies?

We meat his son in The Wrath of Khan (and prob the series - i don't care for the original series), and again in The Search for Spock. TSFS Plot Point: And he dies in TSFS by Klingons
Bitter Old Man
AG
If that's true, it could make a great storyline to have her and Kirk engaged and then she is killed in some confrontation with the Klingons. That would certainly create some inner turmoil for Kirk that would be more interesting than Space Boredom....
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

I don't remember. All I remember is that Admiral Marcus believed that war was all but inevitable with the Klingon Empire. I think they've largely been avoiding it because that's a lot of what TOS era dealt with anyways was the discord between the Klingons and Federation, but hell they brought in Khan in Into Darkness so...

As to your second bit, Carol Marcus was the mother of Kirk's son David Marcus in the prime timeline, which was revealed in The Wrath of Khan. David was subsequently killed by the Klingons on the Genesis planet in The Search for Spock. Carol Marcus was in Into Darkness, but no where to be seen in Beyond and I don't remember any mention of her either. So she might have left the Enterprise in the intervening time while they ship started its journey and Beyond, which is apparently the reasoning that Simon Pegg decided not to include the character in the film. Now Pegg's idea of her starting to research on the Genesis Project to explain her absence I'm not too crazy about, but I could deal with her leaving the crew at some point for other reasons like a different project that isn't a complete rip-off of something we have already seen in the prime universe.

Depending on where they go for the fourth film and amount of time that passes, they're obviously going to have to explain Chekov leaving the Enterprise and replace him with someone. They could explain it as him having been promoted and taking an executive officer on another ship that's not named Reliant.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:

I think Uhura heard about a Klingon fleet getting wiped out, but not the entire empire, so the Klingons and the Federation should be on the same footing after what Nero did to the federation fleet at Vulcan.

There's some deleted footage from the 09 film that shows Nero was somehow captured by the Klingons and working in a slave camp, then his vessel/crew shows up to rescue him when it's time to go intercept Spock.

I'll always be disappointed Into Darkness wasn't about Khan manipulating the Federation and the Klingons into war with each other. That would have been a far better story.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I'll always be disappointed Into Darkness wasn't about Khan manipulating the Federation and the Klingons into war with each other. That would have been a far better story.
That would be essentially trading General Chang from The Undiscovered Country for Khan...
Aggie_Journalist
AG
quote:
quote:
That would be essentially trading General Change from The Undiscovered Country for Khan...

Kind of. But I almost view Khan as more of a Littlefinger in my vision. Someone who is manipulating others to create chaos because they know chaos can create opportunity. In Khan's case, if the federation and Klingons are intent on fighting each other, that could provide cover for him to free his crew and embark on his own machinations, with both the Klingons and that dumb earth admiral thinking Khan was their puppet when really he was playing them both.

Maybe his ultimate plot is to destroy the leadership and/or capital worlds of both factions, or maybe he's trying to get himself put in charge of the federation, so he can use it to destroy the Klingons and rule the Galaxy. Or maybe it's some other plot. Regardless of Khan's game, you get a Klingon-federation war, and Kirk chasing Khan across the galaxy trying to stop him. In the end, khan is defeated (perhaps surviving to fight another day with that consuming hatred of Kirk we love), but the federation-Klingon war has begun.
bearamedic99
AG
I was actually unhappy with the choice of Sabotage. They had hinted at the style and era of music with the earlier Public Enemy but Sabotage seemed to be a lowest common denominator song
TCTTS
AG
It was callback to the '09 movie. Sabotage is what young Kirk plays on the radio after he's stolen his stepdad's car and is being chased by the cop. He's then listening to the Beastie Boys again in Into Darkness while fooling around with a couple of alien twins in bed, when we first meet him again. Basically, Kirk is Beastie Boys fan.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Saw it. Was entirely predictable. That space station was massive, how long had theY been stranded? Because it seems like a space station that massive would take forever to build. But they can crank out a new Enterprise every few years after Kirk wrecks another one.

Also, for the lace of the move, did it all essentially happen in 1 day after they leave Yorktown?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
That space station was massive, how long had theY been stranded? Because it seems like a space station that massive would take forever to build. But they can crank out a new Enterprise every few years after Kirk wrecks another one.
The Yorktown was the same station they visited at the beginning of the movie. The entire movie I think is supposed to occur over two or three days. And this was the first new Enterprise. The one from the 2009 movie was repaired, and was the same one in Into Darkness which was also repaired. This is the first movie in the rebooted timeline where the Enterprise was destroyed.

If you're asking about Krall, then I'm not sure. He'd been on the planet for quite some time though obviously.
GoAgs92
AG
quote:
Hey, let's play some loud music and the indestructible swarm of ships will all destroy each other.

Hey, let's have Spock go save Uhura but have Uhura save him. After he cries.

Hey, let's have Kirk ride around on a motorcycle for 10 mins. Totally rad. Next movie, he can skateboard.

I really liked the first JJ movie. Into Darkness was alright. This one? I left before credits rolled.

Pretty Much this....once that motorcycle showed up...ugh.

and the old, "let me run that tape back 50 times and recognize the bad guy" is pretty tired.

I also didn't understand why the bad buy started looking more like himself once on the big space station.

Thought the plot was a mess.

schmendeler
AG
just caught this yesterday as it popped up on amazon prime. full disclosure, I haven't really loved the first two of this series. they are like "marvel does star trek" rather than feeling like the real thing. I didn't really care for this one, either. I figured out it was the captain of the franklin the first time they showed the video log of the old crew and said pointedly "they must be over a 100 years old by now" or some such. I also wondered why they didn't just beam the bad guy out into space. all in all to me, it felt like everybody was just going through the motions.
double aught
AG
I disagree with that last statement. I really enjoy this cast and think they've been great together in all three films. Even with a weak story (which I don't think this was...average maybe), they would still be fun to watch.
FarmerJohn
AG
Watched it on Prime. It's today's version of the late 90's action movie. There were just too many WTF parts that you can do in a standard summer action movie but don't work in the more "serious" Star Trek world.
-Emotional Spock.
-Where did the Bees came from
-Why did the Bees explode when listening to Beastie Boys
-Why were the people of Yorktown are just walking around with a space battle raging outside. They don't have air raid shelters or something along those lines?
-Why was the Nebula some big obstacle in the beginning but by the end of the move every ship could just waltz on through?
- Not sure what the bad guys end goal was. He was too rational to just be crazy.
-The aforementioned transporter issues, but to be fair that is a common complaint in Star Trek and you just go with it.
- So...the black and white heroine. Seems like she went along with the whole plan without too much issue. "Your crew might as well be dead. It is hopeless." "We have to rescue them, please help us." "Oh, ok."
-Kirk on a motorcycle?

It's like they came up with the outline for the movie but then someone had dinner plans so they had to wrap up the writing early. Mindless fun but at the end I just didn't care too much what was happening.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.