Star Trek Spoiler Thread

8,742 Views | 98 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by FarmerJohn
bobinator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Didn't see this anywhere else so here we go.

SPOILER THREAD IS IN THE TITLE, SO SPOILERS AHEAD, OBVIOUSLY

Really liked the movie, but one thing that's always bothered me is in when movies introduce a technology and then forget they have it.

The whole final sequence could have been a lot less dramatic if they just teleported the bad guy and the weapon out into space. We already saw earlier in the movie that the station itself has teleporter capabilities (which it obviously would, but I'm just saying they literally established this in the movie.)

Am I missing something?
jabberwalkie09
AG
I'm not sure of the jjverse explanation but in the prime timeline transporters locks are established by either a signal lock like a comm badge or life signs.

The Franklin (even though I think they messed up the timeline a bit with when she was launched because it would put it before the NX-01 Enterprise, and then served through the Romulan war so she served for a long time) would have had refits but was less advanced than the transporters on the Enterprise.

I'd suspect that the Yorktown's weren't that much more advanced than the Enterprises's, and we saw in the 09 movie them using life signs to lock on after getting coordinates.

Thete are examples in the prime timeline of them using comm badges for locks on equipment even after TOS era.
Tanya 93
I don't care about spoilers.

My almost 8 year old really, really, really wants to see this.

How bad is the violence?
jabberwalkie09
AG
You see one person disintegrated and the bad guy thanks to a bio weapon. Not especially grizzly, but in the trailer when you see Uhara yelling and hitting the glass I trailer, that's when you see the other crew member bite it.

Lots of fight scenes, lots of people getting shot by phasers.

Bad guy literally sucks the life force out of people as well, which I thought was one of the more interesting things about the character actually.
bobinator
AG
Right, so they should have been able to lock onto his life sign and beam him out into space while he was holding the weapon right? Even if the weapon itself didn't go for some reason, he couldn't activate it anymore.

That seems like a far easier solution than hoping Kirk can defeat him in a zero G fistfight.

bobinator
AG
For the record, this didn't ruin the movie for me, just something fun to talk about. Like I said in the other thread I thought this one was really good.

I thought Justin Lin did a great job basically saying "Look, you know the characters now, let's go" and not trying to tie this back into the old movies or pay too much homage to TOS. There's still some references obviously, but this movie is a lot more than your "OMG IT'S AWESOME BECAUSE I REMEMBER THAT THING FROM THE PAST" remake that a lot of movies have been lately.
Tanya 93
He has seen The Force Awakens, so I bet this will be okay.

I raised a nerd.
Ag Since 83
AG
I thought it was ok. The scenes with the crew were really well done, but I got bored of the generic angry villain and wished they'd gotten to the reveal about who he is and what his motives are earlier. Also some of the action sequences are really hard to follow.
bobinator
AG

quote:
Also some of the action sequences are really hard to follow.

This is a good point. It didn't bother me, but I do recommend sitting as far back in the theater as possible.

I do have one other plot point to discuss, and it's how Jaylah stays hidden inside the Franklin by using the projector shield things.

Wouldn't the crew of the Franklin know exactly where the Franklin is? How have they never been able to find her?
bobinator
AG
Thank you for that valuable input
jabberwalkie09
AG
I got the impression that they didn't really care about the odd survivor else where on the planet. Just needed a fresh group to try and replenish the ones that they were using for Krall.

They had their own ships, and the Franklin was in need of serious repair. Based on the captain's log it sounded like he was the only one left alive after awhile. So the ship was probably of limited value.
bobinator
AG
But when they try to rescue everyone and they see the hologram thing, Krall says "where is she?"

So they're familiar with this girl for some reason. You'd think they'd want to kill her. And if they don't want to, then what difference does it make if the ship is hidden or not?

On the grand scale of things that annoy me about movies that's pretty minor, but again just something to talk about.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Right, so they should have been able to lock onto his life sign and beam him out into space while he was holding the weapon right? Even if the weapon itself didn't go for some reason, he couldn't activate it anymore.

That seems like a far easier solution than hoping Kirk can defeat him in a zero G fistfight.

Well not so sure about that. We didn't actually see the transporters for the station itself. What we saw were site to site transporters that looked like they went to specific points. There didn't appear to be a console there to operate and target different locations or objects. Plus the Enterprise herself was physically docked at the station as well.

As to the Franklin, by that point she was a wreck and apparently operating on very limited power. So I doubt her transporters would have been in operable in that state. It didn't even look like the ship's emergency lighting or power kicked on after acting like a dart board for Krall's ships.

In the prime timeline, the Enterprise and Enterprise A had to operate on battery or auxiliary power and in each instance had limited capabilities.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
But when they try to rescue everyone and they see the hologram thing, Krall says "where is she?"

So they're familiar with this girl for some reason. You'd think they'd want to kill her. And if they don't want to, then what difference does it make if the ship is hidden or not?

On the grand scale of things that annoy me about movies that's pretty minor, but again just something to talk about.

They knew of her for the reasons she said, but even she made it a point to stay the hell away from them. No reason to waste manpower looking for one person of no real value. Krall wanted Kirk because he knew where the artifact was, and was of value.

She hid the ship not only because of them, but because the other stragglers on the planet could use it for the same reason she wanted: get off the damn planet. Plus debris had covered some of the ship over the passage of time since it had crashed on the planet.
bobinator
AG
I'd think she'd want to help other people if possible, but perhaps not. Not like a glaring plot hole.

As for the teleporters:

The Franklin is toast, that's fine. And for sake of conversation let's say the Enterprise-A's transporters are the last thing to be installed so they aren't online yet. (Which, is the Enterprise-A being built at Yorktown? Why?)

I think it's a safe assumption that if the station itself has the ability transport something from a set point, it would also have the ability to "lock on" to people like the Enterprise transporters from the bridge of the station. The Enterprise can do that, and Yorktown is even upgraded from the Enterprise. If nothing else that seems like it would be a safety feature in case a building caught fire on the ground floor or something.

They could have even addressed it with a throw away line about how not all of Yorktown's systems are fully operational yet or the system is down for maintenance, like transporters only have site-to-site capability or something.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
I'd think she'd want to help other people if possible, but perhaps not. Not like a glaring plot hole.

As for the teleporters:

The Franklin is toast, that's fine. And for sake of conversation let's say the Enterprise-A's transporters are the last thing to be installed so they aren't online yet. (Which, is the Enterprise-A being built at Yorktown? Why?)

I think it's a safe assumption that if the station itself has the ability transport something from a set point, it would also have the ability to "lock on" to people like the Enterprise transporters from the bridge of the station. The Enterprise can do that, and Yorktown is even upgraded from the Enterprise. If nothing else that seems like it would be a safety feature in case a building caught fire on the ground floor or something.

They could have even addressed it with a throw away line about how not all of Yorktown's systems are fully operational yet or the system is down for maintenance, like transporters only have site-to-site capability or something.

The people on the planet seemed have gangs, so I think she wanted Scotty's help only because she was of use at first. Though they eventually had common ground in sticking it to Krall. I took it that they were more interested in their own survival than a group's.

Yes the Enterprise A was being built at Yorktown at the time and wasn't yet complete yet. (And why they didn't take the opportunity to give it a refit constitution class type of appearance is something I'd like to ask...) In this new timeline they built ships not only on earth but in space as well, and I guess Utopia Planetia Shipyards don't exist in this timeline.

Yes I think they could have addressed it too, but they didn't for whatever reason. A possible explanation is that one human life sign is fair indistinguishable from another and without having his specific bio sign, unless they had his coordinates that could have been the issue. But once in the chamber, they should have had the ability to lock on and beam him somewhere else unless there was an issue of some sort.
jabberwalkie09
AG
But it was in the chamber with Krall that Kirk finally found his purpose, and led him to pass on the promotion to remain as captain. In a way he came to realize what Kirk prime said to Picard in Generations (which I can't recall the exact quote for off hand).
Cibalo
We enjoyed the movie but I think this one ranks 3rd on the list of best new Star Trek movies. I liked the first two a lot more because they had more depth and character development. Krall was just an angry dude with no motives for such a long time until the end. It was almost like half way through writing the moving they realized then needed a bad guy.

My biggest issue was with the Franklin being hidden on the planet. We know it land/crashed there and the captain is still alive so he should know where it is. They have some prisoners escape and can't find one of them. Then shortly after that the Franklin just disappears from the side of a mountain? Shouldn't that be a clue that someone is there?

Its a good summer action movie with some humor mixed in but that is all it is.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I don't remember character development in Into Darkness like we had in this movie... Do you have a couple of examples?
bobinator
AG
I didn't think "Into Darkness" was as bad a lot of people did, and even I don't think it's even close to as good as this one.

But yeah on the Franklin, if anything, hiding it seems like a bad decision because Krall knows it should be there.
AR_Ag95
AG
Just got back.... Good, not great like the first two...some funny moments with Spock and horse excrement. I did like the jaylah character.

They need to bring back the Admiral's daughter!!!
Grimey
There are hardware and firmware limits built into the transporter. It can't beam people into space or into walls/stone/etc.

It's the same reason they don't beam intruders off the ship/station once site-to-site transport is introduced.
bobinator
AG
Even if that's a limitation, they could still beam him to somewhere less dangerous. Into a cell, into an airlock, etc.

They beamed Kirk and Spock onto the Narada which is functionally like beaming someone into space.
HeadGames
AG
It was a fun popcorn flick, better than I thought. But I didn't enjoy it as much as the other two movies.
bobinator
AG
TIL: people on TexAgs are more fond of "Into Darkness" than the general public
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:

They beamed Kirk and Spock onto the Narada which is functionally like beaming someone into space.

Not the same. They had a general idea of the internal compartments of the Narada.
bobinator
AG
But it's functionally the same. What I mean is nothing on board the Narada had anything to do with the transport. They just teleported them from the platform to a place in space. This place happened to be inside another ship, but it wasn't a Federation ship or a ship they had permission to beam aboard or anything.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
But it's functionally the same. What I mean is nothing on board the Narada had anything to do with the transport. They just teleported them from the platform to a place in space. This place happened to be inside another ship, but it wasn't a Federation ship or a ship they had permission to beam aboard or anything.

No, it's not and yes it did have to do with the Narada.

Space has no air, which would not be allowed to do for a life form via transporter.

The Narada had defined compartments or areas that can support life.

The safety requirements in place would not allow for the former. Transporting ship to ship is not functionally similar as beaming into space.
bobinator
AG
How does the transporter know what's on the other end? And assuming for a second that it does know, you're telling me that's the one safety feature that nobody knows a workaround for?
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
How does the transporter know what's on the other end? And assuming for a second that it does know, you're telling me that's the one safety feature that nobody knows a workaround for?

The ship has sensors and a computer for a (multiple) reason(s). And I'm saying it requires an override for life forms. Not that it can't be done, but that it isn't just programming coordinates or locking on and pushing a button.
The Shank Ag
Just got back

Liked it a lot. Loved Jaylah. Theater actually applauded when she turned on Beastie Boys

Last 15 minutes or so of action was my only dislike. Easy to see coming and nothing of substance
agmrpink
AG
Why did blasting Sabotage cause all the hive ships to explode? I figured the Franklin was simply plowing through them when their signals were supposed to be jammed from the broadcast frequency, but when Matt Parkman turned on the snowglobe's signal, all the baddies just died. Is the correct answer "just roll with it"?
Aggie_Journalist
AG
I thought it was a decently fun summer flick that moved at a good pace, but it didn't feel thematically like a Star Trek movie at all.

This more emotional Spock is kind of weird. He's not Spock anymore if he does illogical thinks because of his feelings for Uhura, and I think that costs you one of the prime themes Star Trek offers: The pure logic of Spock vs the emotional rationalization of Bones serving as guides Kirk has to navigate.

The villain was a bit underwhelming. They never explain why he thinks killing that station will prompt the intergalactic struggle he wants, and even his reason for desiring that struggle is muddled as heck. I figured the villain was the captain of the Franklin after they revealed the Franklin's existence and Krell mentioned using life drain to prolong his life, so the reveal didn't do anything for me and instead I felt like I was dealing with a flat, expendable marvel villain who would have benefitted more from character development instead of the prolonged identity mystery.

The movie was definitely better than it looked in that first trailer, but probably ranks a middle of the pack Star Trek movie that didn't feel like a Star Trek movie.
Ganondorf
AG
I enjoyed the movie and it felt more Star Trek to me than Into Darkness.

For the transporter question, he's probably too fast in his ship to lock on and they likely have problems finding him among the other aliens. Near the core might not be able to compensate for the gravitational forces.

The swarm being destroyed was likely a combination of shooting them and crashing into each other now that their link to help navigate was disputed.

I'm guessing Krall forgot about the Franklin's location. It'd been over a hundred years of stealing life energy and he's probably lost a lot of memories.
Post removed:
by user
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.