Cutting the Cable cord

5,652 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 62strat
mslags97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
BMX Bandit
mslags97
AG
Not sure why it would not let me post on the original, and it would not let me edit either, so here is what I was wanting to ask:

I have searched and read many of the topics on here about Vue, Sling, AppleTV, Roku, etc.... I have gotten some good information, but I am still lost as to what I need and how to start in order to get rid of Grande and cable going forward.

Here is what I know I need: an HD antenna in order to get the local channels. Do I need more than 1 for multiple TV's? We have 3 TV's in the house that need to be watchable. I also read somewhere that you can get a device that will act as a TIVO or DVR with the antenna. What is that device, and again, do you have to have one for each TV?

Will I still need to have a WiFi provider in the house?

We have an Xbox One, but we don't have any other devices like a Roku or PlayStation. Will I need to get one of each of those for a TV? In other words, since we have the Xbox One, do I then need 2 Roku's for the other 2 TV's?

Finally, what do each of you recommend as far as services? We have Amazon Prime. Sports are important, but time only allows me to watch a little TV beyond Sports and the basic channels. Kiddos like Disney/Nick, etc... Would maybe look into a Netflix subscription for movies.

I am trying to wrap my mind around all of these options, but it is overwhelming. I have been trying to take the time to make these decisions, but I have just been intimidated by the learning curve needed to figure this out.
caleblyn
quote:
Not sure why it would not let me post on the original, and it would not let me edit either, so here is what I was wanting to ask:

I have searched and read many of the topics on here about Vue, Sling, AppleTV, Roku, etc.... I have gotten some good information, but I am still lost as to what I need and how to start in order to get rid of Grande and cable going forward.

Here is what I know I need: an HD antenna in order to get the local channels. Do I need more than 1 for multiple TV's? We have 3 TV's in the house that need to be watchable. I also read somewhere that you can get a device that will act as a TIVO or DVR with the antenna. What is that device, and again, do you have to have one for each TV?

Will I still need to have a WiFi provider in the house?

We have an Xbox One, but we don't have any other devices like a Roku or PlayStation. Will I need to get one of each of those for a TV? In other words, since we have the Xbox One, do I then need 2 Roku's for the other 2 TV's?

Finally, what do each of you recommend as far as services? We have Amazon Prime. Sports are important, but time only allows me to watch a little TV beyond Sports and the basic channels. Kiddos like Disney/Nick, etc... Would maybe look into a Netflix subscription for movies.

I am trying to wrap my mind around all of these options, but it is overwhelming. I have been trying to take the time to make these decisions, but I have just been intimidated by the learning curve needed to figure this out.
I would put a separate HD Antenna on Each TV. Some might say to put one and split it, but you will loose some signal each time you split. They are cheap, so go one per TV. I use Roku. I have one R3 and a stick. The R3 is hard wired.

I assume by WiFi Provider, you mean internet provider. Yes, you will need Internet. WiFi might not be necessary if you hardwire everything but it is hard for me to picture it w/o WiFi. I have a 50MB service and do fine.

You will need a piece of harware on every TV, whether it is an Xbox, Roku, etc., you will need it.

Services...
I like both APrime and Netflix, but I am getting them for free via the allowed sharing with family (Thanks Mom and Dad). I would not get Netflix to just watch movies. Unless you are watching a movie every night. I would get it if you were wanting to binge some old show. We are presently watching Downton via AP.

I have SlingTV, but am about to try out Vue which looks to be much better with providing more features. It will be $10 more but I will get some important channels (Dis JR. and all Fox stuff). Plus it has a sort of built in DVR which will be nice. If you watch any soccer, you should really research the channels offered. Disney Jr. will be part of an Extra. For Vue, it will be the second tier (Core???). I will be switching because of the Olympics and the desire to have more Fox choices (Sports and News ~7 channels).

I also have a Tablo. This is a DVR for HD Antennas. We have highly enjoyed it. I can set it up similar to any other DVR you have used and record all my favorite shows that come over the HD Antenna. I am starting to think that Vue and SlingTV will eventually make this go away. Vue is very close right now. However, until that happens, I will continue to use it.
mslags97
AG
Thank you
FtBendTxAg
AG
most people interchange wifi with Isp, assuming you did that, then as stated above, you definitely need wifi. (Because hardwiring hardware sucks)

I lasted just under 2 years without cable. I relied HEAVILY upon Hulu+ And Netflix, with a heavy dose Amazon prime and HBO go. Oh and the watchespn ap saved my life, but you need provider credentials from a subscriber to use it for live events (thanks mom). It was actually sports that pushed me over the edge to get cable again. I couldn't take the buffering, blurriness, unreliability, etc. And it's the easiest way to watch the Stros.
Philo B 93
Seriously - just call your cable company and cancel service. Then figure out what you need by starting from zero. It's a fun process, but don't frustrate yourself by trying to replace your cable watching schedule with all the free/online options from day 1.
caleblyn
quote:
Oh and the watchespn ap saved my life, but you need provider credentials from a subscriber

Both Vue and SlingTV provide access to WatchESPN.
Ferg
Get at least the $35 Package from Vue for SEC Network.

Vue just became available or Roku.

FYI, There is another thread on the subject on the general board.
Ferg
You also want to make sure you have a strong broadband connection(so you will still need Grande), and probably a good router if yours is old.

You might want to make sure you don't have a cap on your broadband if you are going to be streaming tv.
For instance Uverse charges $30 more( i think) for no cap if you just get broadband, but wave the fee if you
get a bundle.

I tried Sling for a few days last year when it just came out and it was lacking. Since then I have replaced my router and bought a second Roku. I still haven't cut because I got a really good deal to renew this year, but by next year this time, I hope to.

I also got rid of my land line and bought an ooma( a lot of folks have our home number). When you do that though, if you have a security system, you have to make sure its set up to send the signal by cell-which if its not the alarm company can take care of. (This is for my fellow older folks,)

mslags97
AG
I saw that someone said 50 Mbps is fine, but would it be worth it to pay $10 extra a month for 200?
mslags97
AG
And how good of a modem should we get?
FtBendTxAg
AG
quote:
I saw that someone said 50 Mbps is fine, but would it be worth it to pay $10 extra a month for 200?

Seems like a steal and almost too good to be true. How much more would the rate jump up for the 200 after the first year?
VanZandt92
Don't know man. I think Directv is worth the cost. It just is.
redd38
AG
quote:

50 is fine unless you'll be streaming on several devices at the same time. But if the 200 has a much higher or unlimited bandwidth limit compared to the 50, as is the case with Suddenlink, then I'd definitely go for the 200.
AggieDave02
AG
We he sling for a while, but switched to vue. It is much better, especially for sports. It is worth the $10 more. We also have Netflix and HBO go.
VanZandt92
I'm likely cutting the cord next month. I'll just have to go to a bar to see the Ags.
jja79
AG
Honest question. Do you factor your bar bill into your TV costs?
VanZandt92
quote:
Honest question. Do you factor your bar bill into your TV costs?

I don't drink. And I won't actually go to a bar. Hell I don't even like hot wings.
Nonregdrummer09
AG
For the record, I switch to PS Vue and it has all the channels I could possibly need for 35/month and works great so far, doesn't eat up data like I thought it would.
gravy97
AG
I tried to cut the cord again, but once i tried to quit and got the bundled package for tv and internet at a rate that was locked in for 2 years, I wasn't going to be able to save enough to justify the hassel. Maybe in 2 more years I'll try it again.
VanZandt92
We're about to move to our new place. The question is, can you have a mancave during the fall and not have live athletics? I have three little kids and they barely watch or let me watch live TV, so there is that.

So it is Directv or Netflix / HBO Now / Amazon and whatever else yall advise I guess. Pretty big decision really.
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
For the record, I switch to PS Vue and it has all the channels I could possibly need for 35/month and works great so far, doesn't eat up data like I thought it would.

How'd you get Vue for $35?
wesag
AG
Which PS Vue plan?
FL_Ag1998
AG
quote:
quote:

That's always been one of the pricing levels for as long as I've known about it. And not even the cheapest level. For that price I believe you get all of your ESPN channels, TBS, TNT, A&E, USA, Disney channels, etc. Its a really good deal. The sort of package that'all run you $80 with a regular cable company.

At least over here in Tampa.
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:

$35 would be the middle package in the non-network cities. It's $30,$35 and $45.

Network cities is $10 more each package.

Edit; if you're unfamiliar with what I'm talking about; select cities have full live networks. It's $10 more for each package. ($40,45,55)
Every other city not on that select list does not have live networks, but it has them on demand. That is the reason for the price break.
Btron
AG
Might a dumb question or already discussed but you can use Vue on a non PlayStation device? Apple TV or Roku?
62strat
AG
quote:
Might a dumb question or already discussed but you can use Vue on a non PlayStation device? Apple TV or Roku?
yes, many devices are supported, but not Apple TV.
Their website spells it out, or wiki. Amazon Fire is going to be my method when I give it a shot when my contract is up in 5 months.
Synopsis
quote:
Get at least the $35 Package from Vue for SEC Network.

Vue just became available or Roku.

FYI, There is another thread on the subject on the general board.

Sling TV offers the SEC Network for $5/month in their sports extra package, which is nine channels, the best of which by far is of course, the SEC Network.

https://www.sling.com/service
Cyprian
AG
I'm cutting the cable cord and doing sling plus Netflix and Amazon in about a week from today
Javelina
AG
We just dropped SlingTV for PS Vue since it finally released a Roku app.

- More channels
- Local stations (no switching to the antenna)
- DVR
- Simultaneous streams standard
- Discovery Channel

I don't like the interface as much, but I imagine it will improve over time. The wife and kids are much happier with the selection and now nobody gets bumped when somebody decides to watch from another room.

SlingTV will have to step up their game or they are going to lose a lot of customers.
Synopsis
I was never a big fan of Amazon, mainly because they used to have only a web interface for smart tvs. No app. And Vue sounds great, but it's quite expensive. With Sling TV offering the SEC network and eight other channels for five bucks is an added bonus. I do agree that Vue brings a lot to the table.
Synopsis
quote:
I'm likely cutting the cord next month. I'll just have to go to a bar to see the Ags.
Get sling tv for $20/month and the SEC network is only $5 a month more.
62strat
AG
quote:
We just dropped SlingTV for PS Vue since it finally released a Roku app.

- More channels
- Local stations (no switching to the antenna)
- DVR
- Simultaneous streams standard
- Discovery Channel

I don't like the interface as much, but I imagine it will improve over time. The wife and kids are much happier with the selection and now nobody gets bumped when somebody decides to watch from another room.

SlingTV will have to step up their game or they are going to lose a lot of customers.

This. I don't see why a new customer would choose sling over vue other than just not knowing about it.

Vue's capabilities makes it a no brainier. Not having dvr is totally regressing.
62strat
AG
quote:
I was never a big fan of Amazon, mainly because they used to have only a web interface for smart tvs. No app. And Vue sounds great, but it's quite expensive. With Sling TV offering the SEC network and eight other channels for five bucks is an added bonus. I do agree that Vue brings a lot to the table.
vue with sec is $35.. Not sure how that qualifies as quite expensive.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.