New top gear (British version)

4,243 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by tamusc
Icecream_Ag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
S
Holy mother of God they have managed to take a great show and make it worse than top gear America.
who?mikejones
AG
Yep. It's turrible
Icecream_Ag
S
ok so the after show is now the best top gear show in the rotation. Can we scrap the Top Gear guys and get these guys to host the main show.

The Grand Tour cant get here fast enough.
who?mikejones
AG
The after show sucks too. Already seems like the BBC is attempting to make up for Clarksons non pc ways and general disdained for govt and BBC regs (and ideology )
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
The after show sucks too. Already seems like the BBC is attempting to make up for Clarksons non pc ways and general disdained for govt and BBC regs (and ideology )
thats kinda my point. the after show sucks and is still better than Top Gear UK and Top Gear USA

Can we just have Top Gear Australia for the next 9 episodes
who?mikejones
AG
In love how they run out a best of top gear immediately following the new show. Are they trying to wash that terrible taste out or maybe confuse new viewers of what might be coming?

Mathguy64
AG
What the BBC is about to learn the hard way that Top Gear was really all about Clarkson, Hammond and May first and cars second.
MW03
AG
Top Gear America is better all the time.
Icecream_Ag
S
Just saw two different headlines that last night was the lowest rated top gear UK in over 10 years.

I'd say BBC won the battle but will lose the war in brutal fashion
BigRobSA
It made no sense to cast Matt LeBlanc. He's not known as a car guy, in any fashion.

I have no idea who "Chris Evans" is, other than the name of the guy playing the current Captain America...and he's into bikes, anyway.

Top Gear was probably one of the best all-around TV shows ever created. Even if you weren't that into cars, the show could still win you over with its amazing scenery, the hilarity of the chemistry between the 3 hosts, and the stupid crap they did to one another on a weekly (on the show) basis.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
It made no sense to cast Matt LeBlanc. He's not known as a car guy, in any fashion.

I have no idea who "Chris Evans" is, other than the name of the guy playing the current Captain America...and he's into bikes, anyway.

Top Gear was probably one of the best all-around TV shows ever created. Even if you weren't that into cars, the show could still win you over with its amazing scenery, the hilarity of the chemistry between the 3 hosts, and the stupid crap they did to one another on a weekly (on the show) basis.
as they said on the best of show. Top Gear made learning the technical aspects of what they are doing fun.
MW03
AG
I think LeBlanc held the Reasonably Priced Car record.
Bismarck
AG
LeBlanc already has a popular show over there and I think they are capitalizing on his notoriety. He had some decent bits. The bit with the mayor of Blackpool and the strong man were amusing.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Top Gear has been dead to me since Clarkson, May, and Hammond left.

This effort might as well be called Fifth Gear. Except Tiff was what made that show bearable.
Really???
quote:

I don't know anything about cars. I don't care to know anything about cars. And I watched it regularly.

That being said they didn't have much of a choice to fire him. But they should have just killed the show. This is like casting Dax Shepard as James Bond.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
quote:

I don't know anything about cars. I don't care to know anything about cars. And I watched it regularly.

That's because it wasn't about the cars since it was the trio (I forget who the original third host was) but rather the entertainment that the cars used provided.

Would you rather watch crazy antics with cars or "Chris Harris on Cars" for the full program? I think Chris Harris does some great reviews, but I think the public at large would rather see them do some crazy stuff.
'03ag
Garbage.

LeBlanc wasn't as bad as I expected. He's way out of his element but I could see him growing into the role. Even being an ok replacement for the Hamster.

Chris Evans is absolutely terrible. I'm not going to listen to him scream at me for an hour.
heddleston
AG
Bummed its bombing, I knew it would never top the original guys, but hoped it would still be fun. I love Evans' TFI Friday show,its a blast
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Garbage.

LeBlanc wasn't as bad as I expected. He's way out of his element but I could see him growing into the role. Even being an ok replacement for the Hamster.

Chris Evans is absolutely terrible. I'm not going to listen to him scream at me for an hour.
I thought LeBlanc could grow into a good combo of the Hamster and Captain Slow.

Chris Evans was a damn near word for word rip off of the Orangutan other than his closing statement and lots more yelling.

Maybe pair LeBlanc with the after show guys and turn it into more of a car show and less of a "we dont need you" show.
RiverDog
Bismarck
AG
quote:
Evans was terrible, but at least he was less terrible than that buffoon Clarkson, whose schtick got tiresome years ago. This show wasn't good but it showed enough hints of promise that I'll watch another episode to see where it goes from here.

who?mikejones
AG
Anyone watch the second episode? I didn't but wonder if it was any better.
ja86
AG
quote:
Anyone watch the second episode? I didn't but wonder if it was any better.
i didn't see it, but some reviewers pegged it as just as bad...
RangerRick9211
AG
quote:
Just saw two different headlines that last night was the lowest rated top gear UK in over 10 years.

I'd say BBC won the battle but will lose the war in brutal fashion
Everything is tip-top according to Evans' 'FACTS'.

RangerRick9211
AG
Watching Clarskon try to construct a box on May's Unemployment YouTube channel was better than ep. 2: Link.
Icecream_Ag
S
ratings in the uk dropped by nearly half (4.8 million viewers to 2.8 million) for episode 2 and US numbers are looking even worse.
Icecream_Ag
S
so in 4 episodes Top Gear has gone from one of the highest rated shows on the BBC networks to rumors of being axed.

Oh at Matt LeBlanc has called for Chris Evans head or he will quit the show because Evans is apparently a bigger ***** that Clarkson.
Madman
AG
I don't want somebody I associate with chick shows in a car show.
RangerRick9211
AG
Kampfers
AG
Anyone replacing Clarkson, Hammond, and May was going to have a hell of a time.

Matt LeBlanc is okay and I could easily see him growing into the role and doing a decent job.

Evans was just beyond terrible. I can't help but think someone got the list of potential castings and saw his name and went "we could sign Captain America?!!! Sign him up!!!" I've never listened to his programs but he's supposedly a respectable radio host. He just has no visual presence. His actions on camera always look so awkward or forced. Half the time it's like he doesn't realize the camera is on him, even though he's looking right at it.

Great example:
http://m.imgur.com/Q03rUXd?r
jabberwalkie09
AG
There may be more to the story for why Chris Evans stepped down.
Icecream_Ag
S
quote:
Matt LeBlanc is okay and I could easily see him growing into the role and doing a decent job.

Evans was just beyond terrible
my understanding was Matt was supposed to be the "car guy" while Evans was the joker. What the producers failed to understand was for all of Clarkson's buffoonery he still knew cars.
tamusc
AG
quote:

FACT
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.