*****X-MEN:APOCALYPSE SPOILER THREAD*****

8,981 Views | 76 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by AliasMan02
TajMaballer
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
As I said in the other thread, liked it, but didn't love it. Jean hit it on the head when she said the third one is always the worst.
AggieLitigator
Yeah but that comment was to take a shot at X-Men three which I don't believe singer did.

When apocalypse says at the end all is revealed just as Jean destroys him I think that somehow he got inside her head and is now sleeping or dormant there. I don't know how exactly but the earlier call man of all will be revealed really stuck with me
Aggie_3
I really didn't like this version of Storm and it's not because she's not hallie berry I just don't know something about her I didn't like.

Overall thought the film was great it was a little slow building but still really well done
AggieLitigator
My two friends hated it. I actually enjoyed it. Very predictable but enjoyable. It was slow in the middle but that's because it was about 20 mins too long. I knew he wasn't but I was hoping Wolverine would play a bigger role
Ambres
AG
Spoiler.... so don't read if you don't want to know

Positive:
-Wolverine rescue .. very close to the comic book
- Psylocke .. the look.. she looked like the character yet she had very little to do
- Sasha Stark was a good Jean Grey
- The Final fight worked..

Negative
- It has been 20 years since First Class.. nobody aged.. hell at this point Magneto is 50 years old
- Lack of content for Arch Angel.. and the fact they killed him off.. he is an original X-men .. he should have joined just like Storm.. oh and ArchAngel has a healing factor
- Why do they hint Essex .. Mr. Sinster should have been in a movie before.. don't understand why Mr. Sinster would show up afterwords.. since his big thing is creating Nathan Summer

R0GUE
AG
I actually liked it better than DOFP, it had tons of great action. I loved seeing Jean and Scott really let loose. And getting to see a proper Weapon X scene, with Logan going complete ape**** on those guards, was a big bonus.

I'd give it about an 83%
BigRobSA
When Apokalypse (or however you spell his name in the comic world) was using his "make stuff decompose" sort of power, I saw a lot of what Jean's Phoenix powers looked like in the original #3.

Being a non-comic reader myself, and only watching the cartoon series in the past, etc., is her power and Apokalypse's related? They both seem to be almost godlike, more so than other mutants with a single, albeit powerful, ability.
Really???
No relation. He's more or less omnipotent, a trait far too many characters have.
The Kraken
AG
Quicksilver being a huge Rush fan FTW!
R0GUE
AG
In the comics his power is described as being "manipulation of matter on a molecular level". Now if you think about that it really is just telekenesis but on the most precise level. So technically, any telekinetic, like Jean, could do what Apocalypse does if they could get enough power to see/feel and control molecules. So in a way they are related, but just in the sense they happen to share the same power. Telekenesis is one of the most common mutant powers.
rhutton125
AG
It was ok. I have many thoughts but I'll need time to compile them.

I think my main point is this... way too many characters having way too little to do. Why not kill Angel - he had 3 lines. Beast did nothing. Storm didn't talk for 90 minutes straight. Etc.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Loved it. Thought it was better than Civil War.

Once again, quicksilver scene was absolute greatness.
nickstro66
AG
I really enjoyed it! The Wolverine scene was great as well.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
$65M opening weekend, $80M including Monday.

Not bad. Obviously it was never gonna do CW numbers, but still a decent weekend. A bit down from DOFP though.
bdenby
AG
Appropriate for a 8 year old?????
rhutton125
AG
Hmm, perhaps. Depends on your particular concerns. There's one sex joke I can think of but it isn't remotely graphic (it's on the trailer - Quicksilver about to explain about how his mom and dad made him and someone interrupts him). There is some surprisingly violent stuff - someone crushed, someone pretty much disintegrated down to their skeleton which crumbles away too. Some brutal stabbings but not like dismembering or gore. One F bomb I can think of.

More violent than Civil War, so if you had any concerns with that one, I'd say be careful with this one. But then, I saw The Rock when I was 8 so I saw faces melt pretty early on.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Well, I enjoyed it but I think what held it back were that there were just too many new characters in this to introduce. I'm hoping that wasn't the last we see of Psylocke. Olivia Munn was easy on the eyes and I found the character interesting even though she barely spoke. I'm tired of Mystique being the one that seems to drive the story. Nicholas Hoult, McAvoy, and Fasbender were great.

With that said I think it's time to push things to the newer generation. I thought Sophie Turner was pretty great and Tye Sheridan wasn't bad either. Though I could take or leave the guy that played Kurt. Jubilee was underused and there just to appease comic readers IMO.

Other than a disdain for normal humans, I didn't really get why the bad guy wanted to take over the world.

Also, Magneto was basically shown to be able to destroy the world which makes him now the most op character. Which if he can do that, why doesn't he just wipe the floor with his opponents from here on out? Oh that's right: because plot.

I'd say this is about as good as DOFP, and the second movie that the franchise doesn't depend on Jackman.
AliasMan02
AG
I thought it was okay. Third in the new era. This film suffered from "too many mutants" syndrome, as did several others in the series. DOFP didn't really have that problem, so I was disappointed to see that return.

In particular, this film had characters that didn't advance the story at all. Psylocke and Angel were the worst offenders. And really why does Apocalypse even need followers in this incarnation?

Wolverine's scene was epic, though honestly it didn't do anything story-wise, either.

We finally got an awesome Phoenix, but they just jumped right in there, huh? No lead-up to get to know Jean and her struggles for a while? I can see giving her an outburst of power when needed most, but to go full Phoenix seemed premature.

I did think the new cast was great. Anchored by Sophie Turner, I'm looking forward to the adventures of Jean, Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver, and Storm. Though Quicksilver is still a "break the story" type of power. I hope they let Xavier become more a support character and focus on the next generation.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I feel much the same way about the film.

They alluded to Jean's abilities, but mostly they just beat around the bush about it. I think that's probably one of the examples that reflected that there were just too many mutants and characters in the film, and the characters that should have had some more development suffered for it.

And yeah the Weapon X sequence and Stryker did nothing for the story since this story dealt largely with mutants fighting mutants to protect not only themselves but also non-mutants.

Regarding the post credit scene, can someone explain the significance of that?
AggieLitigator
To set up the next Wolverine film.
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
To set up the next Wolverine film.

Nope. They're doing Old Man Logan. It will follow on from The Wolverine and the end of DOFP. Not sure how far in the future, but it will be many many years after DOFP.
AliasMan02
AG
Am I the only one that though Munn's outfit was less than flattering in the lower half?
Cromagnum
AG
quote:
I feel much the same way about the film.

They alluded to Jean's abilities, but mostly they just beat around the bush about it. I think that's probably one of the examples that reflected that there were just too many mutants and characters in the film, and the characters that should have had some more development suffered for it.

And yeah the Weapon X sequence and Stryker did nothing for the story since this story dealt largely with mutants fighting mutants to protect not only themselves but also non-mutants.

Regarding the post credit scene, can someone explain the significance of that?

It is a setup for Mr Sinister, and presumably Cable (Nathan Summers). This makes sense because Deadpool said that Cable was gonna be in his next movie. What does not make sense is that Apocalypse was defeated, but he is the one responsible for converting Nathaniel Essex into Mr Sinister. Not sure how they are going to tie that storyline together coherently unless they retcon it.

Also, I wonder who you would cast here...
AliasMan02
AG
As much as we all talk about DC/WB not having a plan, Fox has really been just as aimless, though they've had way more success. When they sit down to write the next X-Men flick, I'm sure they'll regret a lot of choices they've made, not just with XM:A, but in general.

If you think about it, they've pretty much denied a real arc to perhaps their most intriguing character in Magneto. The bromance that started in First Class has never really bloomed into the great rivalry we saw epitomized in X1 and 2. Magneto dipped his toes into good before going evil in First Class, helped the good guys but then went evil in DOFP, then again was temporarily good before being evil again in XM:A. Those have all had some good moments, leveraged by probably the best actor in the cast, but if they had plotted a course from the beginning, I think they would have made some different choices.
rhutton125
AG
I think Magneto is actually one of the least "egregious" faults, if you want to call them that. These movies tend to over-mutant, using fan-favorites as nothing more than cameos and CGI mechanisms. Here are a few examples:

- Colossus as a cameo in X2, bit part in X3, bit part in DoFP. It wasn't until Deadpool that the dude (reimagined, at that) got more than 3 lines.
- Angel as a bit part in X3, then an even more inconsequential part in Apocalypse. As a disclaimer, he's my favorite mutant. Now he's dead, when a nameless horseman could have filled the same role just as well without locking out a character until there's another time-reset.
- Psylocke as another horseman with 3 lines. She could return, but will she? What point would she serve in the eventual 90s sequel?
- Any of the future mutants in DoFP (most of them were obscure on purpose)

The time-reset cleared a lot of wasted appearances, such as Beast, Angel, Gambit, Deadpool, and so on. But already you have Angel, Banshee, Emma Frost and Havok as characters that could have been a whole lot more than they were.

Most may not care. But I have to think of how people would react if, say, an MCU film introduced The Vision and he died after 4 lines.

All that to say... I'm pretty good with how Xavier and Magneto have turned out when other great characters have been given the shaft. Id include Cyclops in X1-3 to that list - thankfully he has another shot.

Edit: wrong emoji
Simplebay
AG
really enjoyed it, thought it was better than DOFP.

Quicksilver...perfect. Jean Grey....perfect, give her more screen time next time. Uuse of mutant powers....perfect, need more.

thought Nightcrawler was a miss for me, but after the opening scene of X2 who can blame me.

really glad Magneto had more to play in this one. I thought Apocalypse was underused, wanted him to do more, but the gf explained it was a parallel to the Egyptians and the horseman did the bidding. still....meh. kinda boring.

macavoy....I think I'm done with him as Professor X. he's not really enduring anymore, and he's wildly all over the place during these 3 movies.

also, get Jennifer Lawrence outta there. time for a new Mystique and I think they are catering to Lawrence too much by having her walk around human to not put her in makeup, and cheesy one liners and closeupsychological (YOU'RE XMEN....PANEM, WE FIGHT, WE DARE...)

overall, needs a badass Gambit and needs a flying super strong rogue. whittle it down to the team dynamic, and breaking them. and give us some government stuff and missions and danger room.
space_treadmill
AG
loved how scott could blast his way through a 6 inch steel door but was no match for a high school bathroom stall door.
R0GUE
AG
I'd have to rewatch that scene but his powers were just coming online weren't they?
atag
AG
quote:
loved how scott could blast his way through a 6 inch steel door but was no match for a high school bathroom stall door.

That was also the first time that his powers came to be. I figured that it wasn't at full capacity yet.
Cromagnum
AG
quote:

Wow, your taste is very misplaced. DOFP was the best XMEN movie, or at least tied with X2.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
quote:

Wow, your taste is very misplaced. DOFP was the best XMEN movie, or at least tied with X2.

I agree with simplebay. It's better than DOFP, though I have First Class as the best of the McAvoy timeline.
Simplebay
AG
i agree with this too. First Class was my favorite, thought DOFP was pretty overrated actually. Wasn't too keen on the story, and the old/new seemed a little hamfisted to undo Ratner's genius work.

Maybe it deserves another watch, but i found myself enjoying this one more.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
First Class is still my favorite, followed by Apocalypse.
fightinags2013
AG
Thought it was a fun popcorn flick... But the themes felt old and the bad guy team's motivations weren't all that clear.

Didn't think it was close to DOFP
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Thought it was a fun popcorn flick... But the themes felt old and the bad guy team's motivations weren't all that clear.

Didn't think it was close to DOFP

His motivations were crystal, he had a god complex and wanted the professor's powers to mind control everyone.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.