Rock and Roll Hall of Fame 2016

1,879 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by digging tunnels
Hey Nav
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
So I'm late to the game.

Chicago is finally being inducted?

Know Your Enemy
AG
It already happened. HBO is showing the ceremony tonight.
Hey Nav
AG
I'm so out of the loop.

Thanks.
Know Your Enemy
AG
"If you think Chicago is your mom's band then I wanna party with your mom." Rob Thomas
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Wow. They just ended the 2016 show by doing a little tribute to Prince showing his induction speech from 2004 and then the jam cover from that year of While my guitar gently weeps with prince just shredding the guitar solo.

Damn.
Hey Nav
AG
Can't search it, but someone on TexAgs brought Steve Miller to a game at Kyle Field within the last couple of years.
Proc92
Overall a crappy show this year.
One Louder
AG
Chicago was the best performance by a large margin. They still sound fantastic.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
IMHO they've been playing catch up for many years since it started kinda late relative to the beginning of rocknroll.

I'm of the opinion they are starting to get where they don't need 5 or 6 inductees per year. Not that any are unworthy necessarily. But reducing it to 2 or 3 maybe per year would make it exclusive again and also let them spend more time on each inductee and the performances.

There were a number of overlooked artists for many years. But since Rush and SRV for me most of the inductees have been kinda borderline. I can't necessarily say any don't belong but I'm not offended that any of them were not in previously.

Over 370 inductees are now in. The current list of big names not in are Pat benatar, bon jovi, journey, the cars, chic, the cure, Whitney, Duran Duran, ELO, eurythmics, iron maiden, Janet Jackson, guess who, Judas Priest, Ben e. King, moody blues, new order, nine inch nails, new york dolls, roxy music, sonic youth, soundgarden, the smiths, the pixies, warren Zevon, zombies, t. rex

I'm really not worked up about any of those. May be time for Pat Benatar. New York dolls and guess who would be next for me based on them being 60s and 70s era. That would be enough for the next class for me. Maybe judas priest for a 4th and to broaden the genres included.
Stive
AG
I don't mind admitting that I'm really surprised Journey isn't in yet.

And along with Benatar, I think Bon Jovi is worthy.
Proc92
Need dire straits in there.
95_Aggie
AG
I can't believe Chicago played Saturday in the Park ... their cheesiest song ever.

They made up for it though with 25 or 6 to 4.

Wonder why Peter Cetera was a no show? I would have expected him before Danny Seraphine.
Know Your Enemy
AG
quote:
I can't believe Chicago played Saturday in the Park ... their cheesiest song ever.
Not even close.
95_Aggie
AG
OK ... their cheesiest song from their first VII albums. I stopped listening after that.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
I don't mind admitting that I'm really surprised Journey isn't in yet.

And along with Benatar, I think Bon Jovi is worthy.

I love journey too. They will get in. Not so worried about primarily 80s bands currently. Some 70s still need to be in first imho. I know journey started in late 70s but heyday was 80s.

Same with bon jovi as 80s band. Benatar was something else though. Female pure rock stars just are rare.
safety guy
AG
Big Journey fan. Problem with their induction would be who do you induct. Outside of Neil Schon, they have had multiple everything else. Take the Escape era band plus Greg Rollie would be my choice. That is the group that made them great. Can't imagine Steve perry taking the stage again. But it would be great.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Big Journey fan. Problem with their induction would be who do you induct. Outside of Neil Schon, they have had multiple everything else. Take the Escape era band plus Greg Rollie would be my choice. That is the group that made them great. Can't imagine Steve perry taking the stage again. But it would be great.

thats been true of many many bands.....heck this year there were mulltiple lineups of Chicago or course and Deep Purple too. and there is often a lot of drama about who will play - even cheap trick this year put aside past lawsuits and reunited with Bun E. Carlos who they had sued and vice versa.

very few bands have had stable static lineups.

sometimes it actually serves as an impetus to get them talking again and perhaps reunite longterm.

steve perry only recently started performing again at all. maybe a HOF induction would get him back in the fold for one last tour,

as in the case of deep purple this year they don't have to stick to just one lineup either. they included three different DP lineups in the induction:

1. the original lineup of singer Rod Evans, guitarist Ritchie Blackmore, the late keyboardist Jon Lord and drummer Ian Paice
2. the most famous lineup of Blackmore, Lord, Paice, singer Ian Gillan and bassist Roger Glover.
3. the lesser known lineup of Blackmore, Lord, Paice, singer David Coverdale and bassist/singer Glenn Hughes

So for Journey you could easily have all of:
Schonn, Rolie, Perry, Valory, Smith and/ or Dunsbar, Cain and possibly Castronovo?
Stive
AG
Yeah you're probably right. The following are groups that I consider primarily 80's or later groups/artists that are already in:

Springsteen
Green day
Hall and Oates
Nirvana
NWA
Public Enemy
Beastie Boys
Guns and Roses
Red Hot Chili Peppers
Genesis
Metallica
Run DMC
Madonna
John Mellencamp
REM
Van Halen
U2
Prince
Police
Michael Jackson

There are some on that list that I'd consider Bon Jovi and Journey ahead of, but most I'd think were bigger or more influential than them. I'd expect both to be in sometime in the next 5 years.

What other 80's artists would you guys think are due?
Know Your Enemy
AG
Bands/artists I think should be in:

Scorpions
Motorhead
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Judas Priest
Soundgarden
Alice In Chains
Motley Crue
Ronnie James Dio
Ozzy Osbourne solo
Sammy Hagar solo

I'll add to this list as I remember more.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
Bands/artists I think should be in:

Scorpions
Motorhead
Iron Maiden
Slayer
Judas Priest
Soundgarden
Alice In Chains
Motley Crue
Ronnie James Dio
Ozzy Osbourne solo
Sammy Hagar solo

I'll add to this list as I remember more.
Junkhead should be on the selection committee.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
I can't believe Chicago played Saturday in the Park ... their cheesiest song ever..
digging tunnels
AG
Fantastic list Junk!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.