Favorite Movie that is an adaptation of a book?

5,322 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Sasappis
Citizen Reign
How long do you want to ignore this user?
The Silence of the Lambs
One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
Blade Runner

Citizen Reign
Adaptation
Orlando Ayala Cant Read
AG
GF
Deputy Travis Junior
quote:
quote:
A River Runs Through It took a mediocre book and made it outstanding. It had all the emotion and weight the book was looking for.

The book had no plot. It was a collection of beautifully-told memories. I have to disagree with you Deputy that it was mediocre.

The filmmakers added a narrative and managed to get an outstanding movie out of this very ethereal story, one of my favorite films. I agree with you Deputy that it had all the emotion that the book did.

"In our family there was no clear line between religion and fly-fishing."

Huh. Maybe I need to reread it.
TajMaballer
AG
Ed Brubaker's Winter Soldier and the film adaptations are nothing alike, but both f***ing awesome! Highly recommend both to anybody! Comicbook fan or not.
MW03
AG
Cinderella Man

Excellent book by Jeremy Schaap; excellent movie by Ron Howard.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
The Hobbit.
I know that the OP asked about YOUR favorite adaptation, but I could not disagree more with this one. The adaptation was awful. It took a short, simple book and stretched it to three movies for no reason other than box office dollars.
AggieHank86
AG
quote:
Terrible book, great movie: Jaws
Great book, terrible movie: Sphere

That would be an interesting thread on its own.
I actually like both the Jaws book and Jaws movie, but it WOULD make an interesting thread. I would add The Hobbit to "good book, bad movie."
AggieHank86
AG
I would add Cloud Atlas as a good book-based movie based upon a very good book. It makes lots of changes (especially in the narrative style) in order to adapt to a different medium, but it does so quite effectively. The use of the same actors in different roles through history was also a very nice touch. It really expanded the concept from the book ... again quite effectively.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Jaws was a good but forgettable novel. If not for the movie, I think people would have forgotten it ever existed.
W.C. Griffin '09
AG
Slumdog Millionaire
The Count of Monte Cristo - I really liked the 2002 movie
Old Jock 1997
AG
I think it's much better -- as is the movie -- if you appreciate it through a 1970s lens instead of present-day.
Dro07
AG
Deadpool
Hey Nav
AG
The Great Santini
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.