Girl on the Train

4,449 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by GoAgs92
ccruz280
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've never heard of the book and initially thought it was another adaptation of Stieg Larsson's Millennium series. This has the looks and general feel of a 2nd Gone Girl. Overall very interested in it.

Tobias Funke
AG
Decent book but I remember thinking as I read it "this would never translate well on the screen". Guess we will see
AgHawkeye
AG
It was an OK book but I just found myself almost hating the main character for at least the first 3/4 of the book. I know a lot of people liked it though.
ccruz280
Off track but really dig the username.
jeffk
AG
quote:
Off track but really dig the username.

He's a blowhard.
The Milkman
AG
Loved the book... As did millions others around the country as it was a bestseller. I love mystery thriller types though. Curious as to how it would translate on the screen.

Another good read in the same genre is a new one called Pretty Girls
Citizen Reign
That acting came across really flat. Looks pretty bad
The Milkman
AG
The 1:27 mark made me think that needed to be a VERY red band trailer for a sec...
bagger05
AG
Tried to listen to it and it was really, really depressing. I get that people are flawed and that's part of what makes interesting characters, but I felt like so much of it was "here's a look at the total effing trainwreck that is this person's life" and it was just really hard for me to keep pushing through.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Just got out of the theater for this, anyone else see it?
TajMaballer
AG
I really did not like this one at all. The acting was fine, but I just despised all the characters. The writing was also cliched ("You were always tired" got an audible groan from our audience) and the reveal was also unsatisfying. One of my least favorites of the year so far.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Yea there was potential there for a lot more.

The buildup was not done well. I think this one might've been better left in the book form.
Aggies76
AG
This was a "girl power" movie at the end. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)
ATM9000
AG
Aggies76 said:

This was a "girl power" movie at the end. (Not that there's anything wrong with that!)

Uhh like the entire movie was basically a playbook for how weak women act in trying times. I wouldn't call anything about the movie including the end 'girl power'.
65532ag
ATM9000 said:

Aggies76 said:

Uhh like the entire movie was basically a playbook for how weak women act in trying times. I wouldn't call anything about the movie including the end 'girl power'.

It wasn't necessarily a girl power movie. At the end they certainly made it a point to make the guy responsible for all their problems. More of a man-hater movie. Good movie and definitely in the gone girl type feel.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thought gone girl was much better
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Thought gone girl was much better

Well each to their own.

I'm 100% the other way. Hated Gone Girl. So many stupid contrived ridiculous plot holes.

This was at least fairly solid on the plot. A few weak links but nothing glaring. My entire group agreed. My wife read both books and agreed. She liked this movie better than the book too.

Nothing great but decent movie. Watchable.
ATM9000
AG
65532ag said:

ATM9000 said:

Aggies76 said:

It wasn't necessarily a girl power movie. At the end they certainly made it a point to make the guy responsible for all their problems. More of a man-hater movie. Good movie and definitely in the gone girl type feel.

Sooo... because the antagonist got his comeuppens like 90% of fictional stories it was a man-hater movie?
Goldie Wilson
Watched this movie tonight, but didn't really know anything about it beforehand. Spent most of the movie going back and forth on whether that was Jennifer Lawrence and Phil Dunphy. Otherwise a fairly entertaining flick.
AgFB
AG
I was convinced it was the ex husband about an hour in. No cheating husband lets a sloot live two houses down without getting a piece of that.

Was entertained anyway.
ClickClack
AG
I enjoyed it, although I did think they could have executed the ending a little better. It felt like they built up to it and then just kind of spit out all the answers then the end.
91_Aggie
AG
Dan 07 said:

Watched this movie tonight, but didn't really know anything about it beforehand. Spent most of the movie going back and forth on whether that was Jennifer Lawrence and Phil Dunphy. Otherwise a fairly entertaining flick.

Heh. Had it in my mind that it was definitely Jennifer Lawrence, but was wondering why they would give the lead to Emily blunt over here. Wasn't until it was over when my wife told me it wasn't her.
abram97
AG
hated movie w a passion.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nashvilleaggie11
I could've skipped this one....go watch Gone Girl or even better, Secret In Their Eyes instead.
KidDoc
AG
I thought this was a decent flick but all of the men in it were just scumbugs with just about no redeeming qualities.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
GoAgs92
AG
Knew zero about the movie and watched it due to a free HBO weekend, I thought it was pretty good...probably due to no expectations whatsoever

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.