EVERYBODY WANTS SOME!!

17,097 Views | 108 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Blanco Jimenez
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've posted too many glowing reviews here to know how this goes down - I rave about a movie, others then see it as a opportunity to b*tch about how it wasn't the greatest thing known to man - but whatever. I just got out of an opening night Q&A screening of Everybody Wants Some!! with Richard Linklater and the cast and, holy crap, I loved this movie so, so, so much. Like, guaranteed top ten of the year for me.

Linklater calls it a "spiritual sequel" to Dazed & Confused, and that could not be more accurate. It's as if that movie cut to black, and then this picked up immediately after, only with a different cast, in college. Sprinkled in with a bit of Bull Durham and The Hangover. Seriously, I wanted to hang out with these guys forever. If anything, as a Texan living in California, it made me miss home so damn bad, but in the best way. It just oozes Texas authenticity, and it's absolutely Linklater through and through, 'til the very end.

Granted, again, this was a sold out opening night screening. Linklater and the cast did a Q&A after. Reps from the production company, Annapurna Pictures, were there and hooting and hollering throughout. And I was saying just the other day in the BvS thread how screenings like this can absolutely sway initial impressions. That said, A) it was beyond apparent that the audience genuinely LOVED the movie, and B) it's Richard Linklater. The guy can do no wrong at this point, as far as I'm concerned.

So, yeah. I cannot wait for you guys to see this one. It's out in NY and LA today, expands to "select cities" on Friday, and then I imagine will start expanding wide soon after (I can't find a rollout schedule anywhere just yet).

Oh, and also, mark my words, Glen Powell is going to be a huge star. Seriously, get ready for this guy.

MrPlow2010
BennyBlancoFromTheBright
AG
alright, alright, alright

Though, how would you say it compares to some other highly anticipated, screened films, like . . . say . . . 'Phantoms'?
Gen. Cornrow Wallace
Interestingly enough, this movie is based on Linklater's experiences as a Sam Houston State baseball player and my dad was teammates with Linklater at Sam. Both of my parents went to SHSU and both knew and still kind of know Linklater. In fact, Linklater invited his former SHSU teammates and their spouses, including my parents, to Austin to watch the shooting of some of this movie, and hang out with the cast to share stories.

Several weeks ago, my parents, along with the rest of the old Bearkat team, went to the premiere in Austin and they confirmed that much of what is depicted in the movie actually happened, or, as they say, "may have happened." From the baseball team living together in two houses (those houses still exist in Huntsville) to some of the pranks pulled, there is a lot of truth in the movie. Even some of the characters' names or nicknames are true to the actual players and Linklater was granted permission to use them in the film.

Needless to say, I'm looking forward to seeing this movie, as I have heard many of these stories throughout my life; however, I am a little nervous that I will never look at my parents the same again.
FancyKetchup14
investorAg83
AG
Forgot about this one...looking forward to it.
Tobias Funke
AG
Glad to hear. The trailers haven't interested me at all
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Linklater
Duncan Idaho
Movies like this remind me that between the aids scare and it's impact on American promiscuity in the late 8os and early 90s, I picked the wrong time to go to college
Professor Frick
AG
Interesting to hear it was good. There's something about the look of the movie from the trailer that felt very "direct to video, American Pie Presents The Naked Mile" about it.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Unrelated, but I realized the other day that if Freaks and Geeks were made today, it would take place in 1997. D&C would take place in 1999.

Has there been any 90's-nostalgia movies or shows made? That's a decade that hasn't really been covered by this kind of movie.
Post removed:
by user
sanitariex
AG
How weird and scary to think about would that be? "David Linklater brings you, the 90's"
Sex Panther
AG
Glen Powell is from Round Rock. My good friend knows him from high school and says he's a great guy.

Have alse heard he was the best thing about Scream Queens
Sex Panther
AG
I have a ton of connections to Richard Linklater, played baseball in college and have a lot of friends who played at Sam. Needless to say, I cannot wait to see this movie.

Seeing this weekend at the Alamo and definitely ordering a few of these:

Bunk Moreland
oh yeah. This one is gonna be great.
boboguitar
SbisaVictim95
AG
Yeah I will definitely check this out at the Alamo.
TCTTS
AG
That's awesome to hear. And yeah, Linklater mentioned a bit of that in the Q&A. Talked about how his baseball team lived in two houses, just like in the movie, and went to a lot of the same types of bars/parties. Said it's very autobiographical.
TCTTS
AG
Oh, nice! Powell being from Texas just solidifies it then. Really, I think he's going to blow up after this. It won't be immediate, but in time, for sure.

And yeah, with all your Linklater/baseball connections, I knew you'd be all over this. Can't wait to hear your thoughts!
TCTTS
AG
I will say that, overall, Dazed & Confused is the better movie. Or, rather, it's obviously more of a classic than this will be, if only because it's just a bit more accessible. This one really is almost exclusively about this specific team of guys. It doesn't have that rounded out feel, where it's bouncing between all the different cliques and what not. Women are basically side dressing, save for the main girl, but even she doesn't have a ton of screen time. That said, it's absolutely the same vibe and feel of D&C, where you're just hanging out with a cast of characters for a small window, with no real plot. D&C was one day/night, this is one weekend, but what a fun weekend it is.
Philo B 93
I've been looking forward to this movie for months. I'm glad to see the good review from a good source. I like the time between wanting to see a good movie and actually seeing it. The anticipation is relaxing and helps when things get stressful in normal life.

I am one of the weird people that has a deep connection with Dazed and Confused. I feel like I lived out a lot of that movie. The last scene where they were sitting in the middle of the football field was like.... holy crap, I did that! The football stadium, water tower, antenna, etc. were sacred places at night time in small town Texas in the 70s and 80s. Linklater gets that.

quote:
Has there been any 90's-nostalgia movies or shows made? That's a decade that hasn't really been covered by this kind of movie.

The 90s had the American Pie series, Can't Hardly Wait, and Dancer, TX. Those were done well enough that a nostalgic view of the 90s would just look like a rip-off of those movies. Also, 80s culture was universal, fun, bright, poppy, and full of hope, big hair, make-up, and muscles. The 90s started with grunge, darkness, depression, dirty straight hair, and a hero who committed suicide before the decade was up. A nostalgic movie has to reflect the culture, and the 90s just don't seem like they were as much fun as the 80s, even though that may not be true on an individual level.
dfphotos
does mcconaughey make a cameo?
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
No way man, he is still cruising for high schools chicks.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
No way man, he is still cruising for high schools chicks.
They haven't aged a year.
Btron
AG
quote:
I've been looking forward to this movie for months. I'm glad to see the good review from a good source. I like the time between wanting to see a good movie and actually seeing it. The anticipation is relaxing and helps when things get stressful in normal life.

I am one of the weird people that has a deep connection with Dazed and Confused. I feel like I lived out a lot of that movie. The last scene where they were sitting in the middle of the football field was like.... holy crap, I did that! The football stadium, water tower, antenna, etc. were sacred places at night time in small town Texas in the 70s and 80s. Linklater gets that.

quote:

The 90s had the American Pie series, Can't Hardly Wait, and Dancer, TX. Those were done well enough that a nostalgic view of the 90s would just look like a rip-off of those movies. Also, 80s culture was universal, fun, bright, poppy, and full of hope, big hair, make-up, and muscles. The 90s started with grunge, darkness, depression, dirty straight hair, and a hero who committed suicide before the decade was up. A nostalgic movie has to reflect the culture, and the 90s just don't seem like they were as much fun as the 80s, even though that may not be true on an individual level.
Don't forget Varsity Blues

This looks like a fun movie to go to, I will do my best to catch it in the theater.
All of Linklater's movies seem highly relatable. Maybe because I'm born and raised Austin and most of D&C was filmed in my neighborhood (Mitch's house was on my block, filming for a few nights straight), and the upbringing of Boyhood was similar to mine. This one should be good, I mean you're not a Texan if you haven't been tubing on a river drinking beer...
boboguitar
AG
quote:

quote:

The director already did a 90's and 2000's movie wrapped in one. It was called boyhood.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
does mcconaughey make a cameo?

would be a great cameo...just have him hanging outside some club...same damn car...and he scams on the chicks as they walk by....and they call him a creep.

Zombie Jon Snow
AG

by the way if you want a great 80's throwback series in the meantime.....

"Red Oaks" on Amazon Prime.

Haven't really seen it discussed on here. Took place at a country club with the various kids working as valet, tennis assistant, aerobics instructor, etc....lots of funny bits. Somewhat Caddyshack-esque meets Long Hot Summer or something like that.

really looking forward to season 2 later this year.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Good call. Technically 00s though.
Philo B 93
quote:
The director already did a 90's and 2000's movie wrapped in one. It was called boyhood.

Boyhood makes no references to the 90s. It's a different type of movie from "Slacker", "Dazed and Confused", and "Everybody Wants Some" in that it doesn't cover a moment in time of day or two, but 12 long years over two decades - the '00s and '10s.
boboguitar
AG
For some reason I thought it started in the late 90s but it was 2002. Well, we got a 00s film then, we just need a 90s film from him to complete it.
boboguitar
AG
quote:
quote:

Boyhood makes no references to the 90s. It's a different type of movie from "Slacker", "Dazed and Confused", and "Everybody Wants Some" in that it doesn't cover a moment in time of day or two, but 12 long years over two decades - the '00s and '10s.

I'm well aware boyhood does not take place of the course of 1-2 days.
Philo B 93
quote:
I'm well aware boyhood does not take place of the course of 1-2 days.

Its actually closer to 12 years with filming going from 2002 to 2012. They used the same actors through the process.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
I would love to see a 90s movie from Linklater. Not sure what the plot would be, where it would take place, but I'm sure I would love it.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.