War Dogs

4,418 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Objective Aggie
Definitely Not A Cop
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like a fun, cheesy movie. Love Jonah Hill and Miles Teller.

jabberwalkie09
AG
Not sure if this is 23 Jump Street but with Channing Tatum looking like Miles Teller or a Lord of War comedy.
Sex Panther
AG
I don't think it looks like a very good movie, but after seeing the trailer yesterday I read up on the real story and it is absolutely fascinating.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
yeah not sure about the movie either....but here is the true back story. fascinating.

http://www.rollingstone.com/politics/news/the-stoner-arms-dealers-20110316?page=9
AliasMan02
AG
Just got back and couldn't wait to get online and tell you guys about it. This movie is ****ing awesome. Easily the most fun I've had at the movies this summer.

It's Lord of War meets Wolf of Wall Street if you cut the boring and insanely long middle parts out of both of those movies. It clocks in at less than two hours and doesn't get all soulful and introspective or try and force some romantic angle. Both leads were great. Really funny.

If there's a criticism, it might join the ranks of movies like Office Space where the whole movie is good, but the first half is much funnier. Still doesn't detract.

Highly, highly recommended. This is one that will be a stopdown to watch when it comes on TV.
Ag97
AG
Saw it tonight and thought it was pretty dang good. Jonah Hills character is over the top obnoxious and he plays it well. It made up for the disaster that was Suicide Squad I had to sit through last week.

Tellers girlfriend was also prefect. Absolutely gorgeous and they didn't waste a lot of time on a useless love story.
agmag90
saw it and liked it. Agree with the Wolf of wall street meets lord of war comparison, although both of those movies are better than this imo. Parts of this also reminded me of pain and gain, probably b/c a lot was shot in miami. Kinda wish we saw more of bradley coopers character
TCTTS
AG
I'll probably be in the minority on this one, but I kind of hated War Dogs.

Never mind the bland, unending voice over from Miles Teller's character that was nothing but mind numbing exposition, or the half dozen ridiculously cliched music queues (seriously, it rivaled Suicide Squad in that department), or the fact that it felt like a JV, wanna-be hybrid of Lord of War meets Goodfellas meets The Wolf of Wall Street meets The Social Network, only not as good as a single one of those... it was just a flat out ugly, mean-spirited movie with ugly, despicable characters.

I don't need likable characters, and I don't even necessarily need someone to root for, but if neither of those things exists, I at least need the filmmaker to be the moral compass in that regard.

I saw this tweet a couple days ago, and it rings even truer after having seen the movie...

The difference between something like Goodfellas or The Wolf of Wall Street and this is that, despite all the glitz and glamor, it's clear that Scorsese knows his characters are reprehensible, and in the end, doesn't "reward" them for being so. I didn't get the sense that director Todd Philips necessarily believes that about his characters. Sure, one of the characters finally has his come-to-Jesus moment, but he never really does anything right. He just finally gets caught doing something wrong, has no choice but to bail, and is still literally rewarded in the end. There's no sense that Philips believes what these guys were doing was wrong on any level, or that they weren't complete ******s at every turn. It's bro-cinema all the way, and I just couldn't get past that.

I don't know, maybe I'm overreacting, but a perfect, minor example of what rubbed me the wrong way is when Jonah Hill's character offhandedly calls one of the Jordanians "Aladdin." Sure, it's a funny line, but it needs to be apparent that a character like Hill's saying that isn't kosher. We should be laughing at the absurdity of him saying that, but instead, it's obvious that Philips thinks the slur itself is hilarious (and again, it kind of is, and I don't mean to go all PC, but a filmmaker's job isn't to be a giggling, 13-year-old audience member).

But, whatever. I didn't hate everything - there were some decently fun and funny scenes - I just felt like I'd seen every sequence and dynamic before. There was absolutely nothing new here, and if you really want to see this movie, I'd at least wait until you can stream it.
AliasMan02
AG
That's a lot of digging into a comedy. Very different in regards to the examples you gave, which (excluding the Social Network which I haven't seen) are films that are good to meh movies that have some really good parts.

Mostly the movie didn't fall into a lot of the traps that we talk a lot about here. The movie made sense. There were no weird motivations or inconsistent character choices. Jonah calling the guy Aladdin didn't raise an eyebrow because he absolutely would call that guy Aladdin. We got exposition because it moved things along instead of, like Wolf, just bogging down and getting totally uninteresting. Worked fine given that it was a comedy, I thought.
TCTTS
AG
So the bar is so low now that if a movie simply makes sense, there are no weird motivations or inconsistent character choices, it can't be bad? Don't get me wrong, it's great that it doesn't have any of those things, and I agree, but come on... that can't be your argument. And just because it's a comedy doesn't mean it should be held to lower standards. Never mind that I don't even know if I'd consider it an outright comedy.

And I'm going to have to completely disagree on the exposition. If you have to rely on it to "move things along" you're doing it wrong. That's just screenwriting 101.
AliasMan02
AG
I'm all for high standards, but just saying that the fact that it's a comedy (which it is... I mean it's not Dumb and Dumber but still...) kinda makes the issue of the film not considering the leads to be "bad enough" moot. More than that, it's part of the joke that the guys are doing this horrible stuff without any real comsideration for what they're really doing. Plus the absurdity of the whole system to begin with.

Talking about the story making sense and everything, that's a comparison to a lot of the "pure fun" movies, which this is. Many movies like that often make no sense, but are just supposed to be a fun ride. This is the fun ride but doesn't ask you to abandon basic logic. It's like the Hangover in that way, which was similarly very well thought out despite the absurd adventure.
BassCowboy33
It was a solid film. Not as intense or mentally demanding as Lord of War or as raunchy and wild-ass as Wolf of Wall Street. Not as good as the other wide release this week, Hell or High Water, but still worth your time. Jonah Hill will probably get another Oscar Nom out of this.
redsquirrelAG
AG
quote:
It was a solid film. Not as intense or mentally demanding as Lord of War or as raunchy and wild-ass as Wolf of Wall Street. Not as good as the other wide release this week, Hell or High Water, but still worth your time. Jonah Hill will probably get another Oscar Nom out of this.

Pretty spot on. Wife enjoyed it. Wasn't too long. Was several scenes I laughed pretty hard. Enjoyable movie for sure.
ce1994
AG
My son and I enjoyed it. It did not take itself too seriously and showed the hypocrisy of Bush haters. Bush made those guys enormous amount of money.
Southlake
TCTTS. It was a funny summer movie that moved along and kept all of us entertained. Loved it.

I think you've been reading too many critical reviews.
TCTTS
AG
I saw it Thursday night, before I read a single review. Saw maybe half a dozen Twitter reactions before then, though. Not saying it's not fun or funny - I said I thought it was both of those things at times - I just hated how ugly and unredeeming the characters were, and the terrible VO/exposition took me out of the movie far too much. Those are valid complaints. But if everyone else had fun, more power to you.
JCRiley09
AG
This movie was fun, made me laugh out loud, and worth every dime of the ticket price. Don't listen to the haters.
watty
AG
I absolutely loved it. Might even see it again. I love TCTTS's contributions but disagree wholeheartedly on this one. That's ok, we're allowed to disagree. One of the most fun movies ive watched in a long time.
AggieLitigator
Thought the characters were awesome. I had one huge problem with it. It was way too slow and way too long of a movie. Like 40 minutes too long...
Ag Since 83
AG
Thought the voiceovers were at times overused but it wasn't off-putting. Overall, it was an entertaining comedy that is much better than most of the crap that has come out this summer.

The Don't Fear the Reaper scene...I got the sense half the theater knew the song and the other half was wondering what the hell we were laughing at.
astros4545
AG
Wow

His wife was an absolute smoke show
HollywoodBQ
AG
quote:
This movie was fun, made me laugh out loud, and worth every dime of the ticket price. Don't listen to the haters.
Exactly. I watched it on a long flight. Had no idea what I was getting into but it turned out to have some really hilarious parts. It's worth watching one time for sure.
if nothing else, at least for the hot girlfriend and the Iraq smuggling scene
Objective Aggie
AG
HollywoodBQ said:

Quote:

Exactly. I watched it on a long flight. Had no idea what I was getting into but it turned out to have some really hilarious parts. It's worth watching one time for sure.
if nothing else, at least for the hot girlfriend and the Iraq smuggling scene
now on HBO. Good diversionary movie.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.