**Daredevil S2, Eps 10-13***

7,998 Views | 82 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by Definitely Not A Cop
jabberwalkie09
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Preemptive posting for the block.
SeattleAgJr
Yeah I binged all night. I am a loser. I admit it.

Overall, I liked it!

It ended perfectly in such a way that there had damn well better be a third season.

Working Fisk in was a surprise to me (I was unaware he would be in this season), and at least was true to his character if not a little over the top from a story p.o.v., tying it to getting Frank out again.

Loved DD getting his billy club.

Loved Sticks last scenes.

Electra's ending was expected. Will be curious to see if they follow the comic for any season 3 (or 4).

Wonder how DD justifies allowing Frank to continue to be free. 3X+ deaths are a bit much to allow a vigilante to run free. But it was a "good" ending, and I REALLY want a Punisher series now.

My biggest problem was the editing of several of the fights. The audio of hits/smacks did not always match up, and there were several fights were you get obviously tell the actors/stuntmen were pulling their hits and it just looked... fake.

The season and storyline were great, but I put this one under Jessica Jones, only because that one was such a surprise re: tone, storyline, outcome.
nickstro66
AG
I binged it all as well and I can say I really enjoyed it. I feel like it was a lot better when Punisher was around. Glad we got another Jessica Jones connection during episode 13.
Texas Ag 15
AG
Great season overall. This one had those moments that were just incredible. Overall I think it was equivalent to this first season. I think for me the first season was so unexpected I didn't know it could be that good. With the expectations going in for this season it definitely held up. Stick and punisher made the season
Rocag
AG
I haven't watched season 1 since it came out, but my first impression after finishing season 2 is that I liked this one better. Really enjoyed it.
R0GUE
AG
Somehow it was even better than Season 1. Just amazing work.
SeattleAgJr
So my bet is they will continue the Elecktra storyline into the Defenders series.

It makes sense, since it will include the Hand which is a big enough bad guy (group) and also supernatural elements (tying to Iron Fist/martial arts) to bring everyone together.

jabberwalkie09
AG
Finally got through the season. Damn, what a ride. Just when you thought that after episode 4 that things would settle down, it just kicks it up a notch in each episode. I have to say that when the Hand finally showed up in the series I was like "**** YES!!!!!! IT'S THE HAND!!!!!"

They ratcheted up the violence and gore this season, and I don't have an issue with it.

Bernthal as The Punisher was nails. I hope that they give him his own series. I liked how he, much like Matt did in the first season with the suit, finally got around to wearing the iconic skull on his armor.

Elodie Yung as Elektra was great as well. First few episodes she was in, I thought she was definitely nuts. Her end was predicatable, and I doubt that is the last we will see of her. I can't see them, with the ending we had, not bringing her back for a longer Hand storyline with the Netflix series.

I am interested where they are going to take Dawson's character Clare, and how that will tie into the larger part of the Netflix series.

I guess the question at this point is, will they have Luke introduce Matt to Jessica, and at what point will that happen?
swimmerbabe11
Loved the way they ended it. Catch wait for more.

I realllllly want Karen and Frank to continue a relationship...and maybe even a romantic one (I KNOW I KNOW)
but their chemistry was really fun.
Really???
I didn't like this as much. D'onofrio was such a commanding presence in the first season I didn't feel any of the cast really lived up to that.

I liked getting to see him actually being a lawyer. Wish that would have been drawn out a little more than it was.

I still enjoyed it, but the first season imo is the BEST the MCU has offered us so far so I had high expectations.
swimmerbabe11
Since Daredevil and Jessica Jones live in the same world, here is a fun hypothetical...

Thinking on the theme of this season...

If Jessica had taken the offer to be introduced to Daredevil, would he have gone along with Jessica's plan to murder killgrave? Or, would he try to stop her/figure out a way to imprison Killgrave?

Seems like there are 2 options with him: 1) murder him 2) cut his vocal chords...dangerous and tricky...do written commands work?

Wait? If written commands work, what happens if he paints billboards?

I should go to bed.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
Since Daredevil and Jessica Jones live in the same world, here is a fun hypothetical...

Thinking on the theme of this season...

If Jessica had taken the offer to be introduced to Daredevil, would he have gone along with Jessica's plan to murder killgrave? Or, would he try to stop her/figure out a way to imprison Killgrave?

Seems like there are 2 options with him: 1) murder him 2) cut his vocal chords...dangerous and tricky...do written commands work?

Wait? If written commands work, what happens if he paints billboards?

I should go to bed.
Depends on who is writing his character, but as presented in the Daredevil TV series, I would be willing to bet he would go with the whole severing the vocal chords action item.
redline248
AG
I'm not 100% sure, but I think I liked this season a little more than season 1. Elektra and Punisher were both awesome. The Hand was pretty cool, although I'm still not completely sure what happened to those kids. I assume they'll be coming back to life?

How does Murdock go from "I'm only ever free with you, Elektra," to trying to pick up the pieces with Karen, who we know now loves him, and probably loves him more since she knows.

Speaking of Karen, her story is going to come out more next season, right? Whatever happened to her family, the truth about Wesley...
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Speaking of Karen, her story is going to come out more next season, right? Whatever happened to her family, the truth about Wesley...
I can only imagine that what happened to Wesley is going to come back to bite her in the ass in some way. At this point she just took up Urich's mantle for the truth. Much of this season was spent on her finding that the truth matters to her by her investigation into Frank's family, mostly because she was the only one who actually gave a **** enough to go do the research.
rhutton125
AG
Liked this season. Didn't really want him back but I thought Fisk's inclusion was excellent and he even managed to make the character better and more intimidating than before. Punisher was nails. I liked good-Elektra. Fights were mostly excellent.

I'm sure there are plenty of things I could poke holes in if I wanted to but I enjoyed this season a lot.
91_Aggie
AG
quote:
Liked this season. Didn't really want him back but I thought Fisk's inclusion was excellent and he even managed to make the character better and more intimidating than before.
well, they got him to say his name "I'm the Kingpin of this prison"
scubasteve304
AG
Finished S2 last night. Overall more good than bad. Not quite as high on it as some of yall but it was worth watching, and I'll be back next season. Compared to last season I felt like this season had higher highs (mostly due to Punisher) but lower lows cause of things that annoyed me. Started off well but I had problems with the contrived writing especially in the back end. If anyone wants to go full Simpsons comic book guy with me...

Cons:
-IMO Matt and Karen as presented have little romantic chemistry so them getting together and the kissing in the rain felt forced and telegraphed. Came off as bad sitcom writing where Rachel and Joey have to get together for plot reasons.

-Foggy is excruciating to me. Save for the hospital scene and some court stuff I strongly dislike him and his cringy jokes and mannerisms. I understand that's probably part of his character but I don't care for him. I kept thinking is the actor someone's cousin or something? But more than that Foggy is constantly either whiny, holier than thou or awkward. He runs up to Matt's apartment to go off on him for all the things going wrong at the trial (fair) and thinks the firm should take a break but then gets butthurt when Matt agrees. I literally cheered when Matt tells him I'm done apologizing for who I am.

-My buddy kept telling me to get to episode 9. I guess he loves D'onofrio's Fisk portrayal. I felt it was a necessity that was occasionally remarkable last year and there were elements I liked from the white painting to his penchant for sudden violence. I get that he's THE arch nemesis but as a whole, I needed more time away from Fisk. Popping up is fine, setting up a Punisher relationship is fine but devoting half the episode to catching up on Fisk and dealing with offshore accounts and how he got his gang protection broke the rhythm the show had been building IMO. And ultimately I just do not dig D'onofrio's Asperger's marble mouthed huffy petulant panicky child emotionally unstable Fisk.

-Karen's arc is so ham-fisted. Besides that she's a straight up murderer from last year with no mention/remorse or repercussions, the writers throw in a secret brother and dark past outta nowhere but the worst is the whole she hangs out at the Bulletin for like 3 weeks and by the end is basically a reporter and the Editor is all of a sudden a trusted father figure. So contrived and forced where oops we killed Ben last year and need a reporter so she's now a reporter.

-The Blacksmith who is a supposedly menacing major player isn't even mentioned sloppily until episode 10. And of course he turns out to be the commanding officer and of course Karen finds a way to be a plot device and in harm's way.

Pros:
-Everything Bernthal/Punisher. He absolutely nailed this role as Frank Castle. From the rooftop dialogue to the cemetery to the diner scene he was absolutely incredible. I had to take a GoT Blackwater breather after the cemetery monologue because it was that damn good. The way he calls DD Red, the way he describes his daughter's lifeless body, one batch two batch, you're one bad day from being me, i hit em they stay down, etc. All of it was great.

-Enjoyed Elektra. She had great chemistry with Matt and I liked the way she pushed his darkness. She's also smokin hot obviously.

-The really upped the intensity on the bloodiness and action scenes and it was fantastic (although a few might've gone on a bit long, I think another poster said it reminded them of a Family Guy chicken fight and I agree). They did a great job with fight choreography and appears to be a staple of the show along with the occasional single shot, likely a reaction to the love for the hallway fight last year.

-I love the sound of DD's baton when it cracks a bad guy in the head and really love that he has his billy club now.

- The Hand was used well. After seeing the previews I was worried that ninjas would be wasted like they were in The Wolverine but was glad to see they weren't.

redline248
AG

quote:
-Karen's arc is so ham-fisted. Besides that she's a straight up murderer from last year with no mention/remorse or repercussions, the writers throw in a secret brother and dark past outta nowhere but the worst is the whole she hangs out at the Bulletin for like 3 weeks and by the end is basically a reporter and the Editor is all of a sudden a trusted father figure. So contrived and forced where oops we killed Ben last year and need a reporter so she's now a reporter.
I seem to remember the show hinting at her having a dark secret in season 1, but I could be wrong. Her character having a knack for ending up in the wrong place/wrong time is nothing new. It's how the entire show started. And b/c of that, she has always been a digger. She dug up stuff about Fisk's companies, found his mom, etc. The Bulletin editor didn't just go "hey we need a reporter." He used the info that Ben respected her, and the evidence she exhibited on being able to find info that no one else finds. I don't think it was contrived at all. She's had some throw-away lines that at the least hint to her darker past. Last season and this one.

quote:
-The Blacksmith who is a supposedly menacing major player isn't even mentioned sloppily until episode 10. And of course he turns out to be the commanding officer and of course Karen finds a way to be a plot device and in harm's way.
You want the show to unveil the whole reason Frank's family was targeted right away? Hell, when he killed the Colonel, it was implied the entire story still isn't out. Maybe it was mentioned and resolved in too short a span, but I thought the build up of the whole carousel incident driving Frank was paced well.
scubasteve304
AG
Don't disagree with what you're saying. Season1 was a while ago so you're probably right her past has been hinted. And She definitely has a knack of being in the wrong place wrong time. It just happens over and over to a point where I felt she was more of a plot device than a character but that's me. I'll give you that the Editor respects Ben's judgement so is quickly accepting of her and willing to help but going from the lady digging around in the archives to moving into Ben's office, i need your story to run in Sunday's paper and please take this police detail because I care about you in a few weeks is more than I can suspend my disbelief.

Not what I'm saying at all. I actually agree that Frank's story was very well paced throughout the show. What I'm saying is like last season where even though you don't see Fisk but his name is whispered and hinted at for the first third of the season, they would've been better served doing the same. Just a cutaway of 'the Blacksmith' on a file would've been fine. To introduce some major player puppet master as the season is winding down (as you say in too short of a span) looks like scrambling to me. But I will readily admit that I am wrong if it was meant to be a thread that expands next season or in some other series.
West Texan
AG
I really loved this season up until the last episode. Which, I still very much enjoy it, but I'm also extremely frustrated with some things.

As was mentioned, Karen basically becoming a reporter ticks me off to no end. They need that reporter character for future story lines, but they've already killed of Ben Urich. So why make Karen that character? I'm really not a fan of it and I wish they'd have kept Urich alive.

I also don't like that they had the Hand kill Elektra. In the comics they do attempt to resurrect her, but it's after the iconic fight between her and Bullseye, which was orchestrated by Fisk. The death of Elektra was a huge moment in Daredevil comics, and they've completely changed it.
RedbeardAG
AG
Wait...I must have missed the Jessica Jones tie in to Episode 13.

Also...to many times when just got pissed at Matt for being such a *****. You don't think a few of those guys you cracked over the head with a piece of steel end up dying? Get off your high horse. When your facing 100 undead ninjas with swords wtf cares if a few get stabbed.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Wait...I must have missed the Jessica Jones tie in to Episode 13.

It was Hogarth offering Foggy a job. Pretty sure that happens near the beginning of the episode.
redline248
AG
Speaking of Hogarth, shouldn't she be sporting some fresh scars on her face?
nickstro66
AG
You can see the scars on her face and shoulders
jabberwalkie09
AG
Maybe she has a good plastic surgeon? Then again, I honestly wasn't looking that close....
redline248
AG
Hmm, I missed them..
nickstro66
AG
I was curious so I paused it and I could see a couple
Sentinel
AG
Just finished the season. Didn't read the comics so I don't really care how they went down.

That ending fight! Daredevil fighting with assistance from The Punisher and then Stick! Holy. Crap.
Whos Juan
AG
quote:
Just finished the season. Didn't read the comics so I don't really care how they went down.

That ending fight! Daredevil fighting with assistance from The Punisher and then Stick! Holy. Crap.
When the Punisher got involved with the fight scene at the end, all I could think of was Steve Buscemi's last scene from Billy Madison
rhutton125
AG
My only beef with that final scene is I wish there had been more ninjas so that Punisher could have an even more impactful assist.
Scotty Flamingo
Just finished it. ****ing amazing.

This is the first thread I've looked at on this season of daredevil.....but I juse wanted to say...the stairwell scene at the beginning of the season was one of thr greatest things I've ever seen. Is this getting much praise?
FL_Ag1998
AG
Yes, the stairwell scene has (deservedly) been talked about by the majority of posters as the best fight sequence of both seasons.

And IMO, this season tops last season. I binge watched episodes 7-13 yesterday, so maybe I'm still on the high of just finishing it, but I can't think of any major complaints I had. Beranthal was perfect as the Punisher and I'd love to get a Punisher series. Glenn was perfect as Stick and absolutely killed it in every scene he was in. Yung was fantastic as Elektra, and Donofrio really becoming Kingpin this season was awesome.

This season absolutely blows away both the first season and Jessica Jones, and I really liked both. Can't wait for Luke Cage, I really liked him in Jessica Jones....they're absolutely killing it in casting these Marvel tv show roles.
The Debt
So Foggy gets a job with Carrie Ann moss who sub contracts Jessica Jones who sleeps with Luke cage who rivals in competition to Josie's Bar where Matt Murdock drinks.
swimmerbabe11
I really like Foggy and it upsets me that anyone might not.
SeattleAgJr
I was sad there was no Black Widow cameo in Season Two like there was in Season One.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.