****AMC’s “Preacher” Discussion****

11,560 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by israeliag
Counterpoint
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
I feel like a bozo. There is a lot of the show I just don't get, and I don't think of myself as a dullard either.

Also, they explained the part about all the mascots hanging themselves on the aftershow, if that was something you didn't understand. (I didn't understand that until then!)
evan_aggie
AG
quote:
quote:
I feel like a bozo. There is a lot of the show I just don't get, and I don't think of myself as a dullard either.

What don't you get? (Not being an ass - genuinely want to know and have a discussion about it.)

So the whole town gets nuked? What did the power plant dude have to do with the hooker? Why was he dead? Or was he passed out?

Why did that boss have a meat baby? What was the deal with the dude who double crossed him looking beaten to crap? Who beat him up? He just comes waddling around all jacked up.

schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

What don't you get? (Not being an ass - genuinely want to know and have a discussion about it.)

So the whole town gets nuked? What did the power plant dude have to do with the hooker? Why was he dead? Or was he passed out?

Why did that boss have a meat baby? What was the deal with the dude who double crossed him looking beaten to crap? Who beat him up? He just comes waddling around all jacked up.

how many quaaludes on average do you take before watching this show?
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

The whole town was powered by that methane plant. It exploded because the worker didn't do his job (he was busy with the hooker). He was passed out because of either hooker sex or drugs.

Everyone in the town was going crazy (killing and hurting each other) because they found out the God that they had been worshiping and praying to all their lives wasn't actually there.

The boss went crazy when his family died in the ski lift accident.
evan_aggie
AG
I feel like Tom Hanks in Big: "I don't get it."

I like a lot of shows and what I think is a big variety, but I find this one to require too much reading in between the lines.

I like Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, TURN, Modern Family, New Girl, Game of Thrones, Silicon Valley,...a varied mix of content. This one just leaves me a little confused after every episode.
israeliag
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

The whole town was powered by that methane plant. It exploded because the worker didn't do his job (he was busy with the hooker). He was passed out because of either hooker sex or drugs.

Everyone in the town was going crazy (killing and hurting each other) because they found out the God that they had been worshiping and praying to all their lives wasn't actually there.

The boss went crazy when his family died in the ski lift accident.
I don't think the power plant worker was passed out, he just stopped giving a **** (his eyes were open).

Also - there was that one episode where the boss was pointing out that he couldn't tell the difference between cow meat, and his baby.

Who was the double crossed dude?
schmendeler
AG
their former partner in crime. they beat the **** out of him.
israeliag
AG
quote:
quote:

Also, they explained the part about all the mascots hanging themselves on the aftershow, if that was something you didn't understand. (I didn't understand that until then!)
What was the explanation? I didn't get that there was something to understand - they gave up on life after hearing that god had gone missing on the universe. Also - irony in the native american mascot hanging from the same tree that was used to hang injuns back in the day.
israeliag
AG
quote:
their former partner in crime. they beat the **** out of him.
Ohh yeah, that felt like bad editing. I was expecting Preacher to send the dude to hell when they were giving him all those weapons and saying it still wasn't going to be fair. So Preacher and Tulip just beat him up?
evan_aggie
AG
I recall that episode. The entrails were everywhere. I just don't get the point of the show I guess. I didn't really care about the characters or what was going on anymore. Perhaps that is why they were all blown to bits.
La Fours
AG
The explanation is that the indian mascot was mad because he was being replaced with the gopher mascot. Plus they were in love. The comparison used in Talking Preacher was that their relationship was kind of like Romeo and Juliet. That's why the gopher hung itself after indian dude hung himself.
israeliag
AG
Well it's fiction, so the point is what you want it to be. For me, it's just goofy and fun, and tangentially a lens for which to examine faith, religion, and morality. And also **** that wouldn't happen in our world with a bunch of nutball characters.

I just read that the point the season ended is where the comic book series starts, so we've essentially seen a prequel to the series as season 1. (I haven't read the comic book)
israeliag
AG
quote:
The explanation is that the indian mascot was mad because he was being replaced with the gopher mascot. Plus they were in love. The comparison used in Talking Preacher was that their relationship was kind of like Romeo and Juliet. That's why the gopher hung itself after indian dude hung himself.
Haha, that's perfect. Did I miss the implications that they were in love?
Counterpoint
AG
quote:
quote:
I totally missed it. They said it was very vague (even for Seth Rogen, the producer) on Talking Preacher.
p_bubel
I believe Cassidy was talking to the the mascot about the gopher in the jail cell at the beginning.

Caught that on the second go-round.

Later:
Goat Man
AG
I can definitely understand people not liking the show. I still don't know that I am crazy about it but it certainly has my interest. I am looking forward to next season to see what mischief the threesome gets into. The primary characters have been flushed out some. My favorite is the vampire. He somehow seems to be the most moral character on the whole damn show.
schmendeler
AG
quote:
I can definitely understand people not liking the show. I still don't know that I am crazy about it but it certainly has my interest. I am looking forward to next season to see what mischief the threesome gets into. The primary characters have been flushed out some. My favorite is the vampire. He somehow seems to be the most moral character on the whole damn show.

I had thought that Cassidy was the only actual "good" person on the show.
La Fours
AG
quote:
quote:

Did you see the scene where the Indian was walking down the sidewalk with a rose before the Sunday service? I think after the Indian turned the corner was when we saw Carlos stumbling down the street after he got his ass kicked.
israeliag
AG
I guess I don't have as keen an eye to gay love as the rest of y'all - heyooooo!
La Fours
AG
quote:
I guess I don't have as keen an eye to gay love as the rest of y'all - heyooooo!

Who says the gopher is a guy?
israeliag
AG
June 25

I'm so excited for this - feels like a guilty pleasure.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.