****AMC’s “Preacher” Discussion****

11,552 Views | 89 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by israeliag
M.C. Swag
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was kinda shocked that no one had created a topic for this yet.

For those who are unaware:
quote:
Preacher is an upcoming American television series developed by Evan Goldberg, Seth Rogen and Sam Catlin for AMC starring Dominic Cooper. It is an adaptation of the comic book series created by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon, and published by DC Comics' Vertigo imprint. The series was officially picked up on September 9, 2015, with a ten-episode order and is scheduled to premiere on May 22, 2016.

Premise
Jesse Custer is a conflicted preacher in a small Texas town. He is inhabited by a mysterious entity that allows him to develop a highly unconventional power. Along with his ex-girlfriend Tulip and an Irish vampire named Cassidy, Custer embarks on a journey to literally find God.
I never read the comic (it's supposedly pretty hit or miss amongst fans) but the trailer looks VERY intriguing to me:

The pilot has supposedly been shown to people at SXSW and it's getting GREAT reviews. You can see what everyone is saying here.

Anyways, I thought I would create this thread for the upcoming premiere next week and maybe get some takes from fans of the comic. Anyone else excited for this?!
salvatore_ditmars
probably because the air date is over 2 months away.
M.C. Swag
AG
Ahh damnit I thought it said March 22...dyslexia strikes again.
jabberwalkie09
AG
I thought about posting it last night when I saw the trailer for it on Youtube. Looks like Howard Stark goes bad!
M.C. Swag
AG
Bump for the premiere this Sunday! The first 4 minutes have been released:
Clavell
AG
Given that is AMC rather than Syfy, I'll give it a shot.
M.C. Swag
AG
http://io9.gizmodo.com/weve-seen-the-first-four-episodes-of-preacher-and-theyr-1775313714

quote:
We've Seen the First Four Episodes of Preacher and They're Damned Good

The best thing about the first four episodes of AMC's new show Preacher is how badly you want more episodes of Preacher when they're over. We've got a spoiler-free review of them, along with our first impressions of AMC's upcoming series, based on the comic book by Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon. Long story short? Get excited.
There's alot more in that article that has me pretty excited.
toucan82
Liked the comic the first time I read it so I'll check this out. It's not like I don't have time.
p_bubel
Bump.
Teslag
AG
Interesting premiere. Jumps around a bit but kept me interested the whole time. Particularly the part with "Arseface."
Really???
I know we're in the DVR era but opening against that episode of GoT has to really suck. The internet is on fire talking about another show.

I wasn't a fan of the comics but liked the pilot. He style is really cool so far
Clavell
AG
Good enough, especially last half, to keep me watching.
TheDoctor
AG
Gonna give this a watch tonight along with catching up on Night Manager.

TWD lost me a while back and I'm looking for AMC to win me back.
BigRobSA
Didn't really like it, it jumped around way too much. I'll give it another episode or two before I completely nix it from my list, but it better get better...and fast. I'm hoping the pilot was as bad (to me) simply due to trying to cram a bunch of storyline/character buildup in one fell swoop.
toucan82
what BigRob said
et98
AG
I'm going to give it a couple more episodes because I've heard they're great...but after 1 full episode, I still have no idea what the hell this show is about. I thought it was going to be about a preacher with a mysterious, criminal, bad-ass past. But it looks like they're all vampires or people with superhuman abilities or something. If so...I'm gonna have to bail.
M.C. Swag
AG
Did you read my OP? The show is based on a comic book and didn't hide the fact it was based in the world of the supernatural.
Sex Panther
AG
Thought it was pretty terrible and I've read the comic
M.C. Swag
AG
My thoughts:
I thought it was ok as far as pilots go. It kept me intrigued. The jumping around didn't bother me because each scene served a distinct purpose:

- Each time they jumped to a new country/continent - they showed preachers of all faiths being 'exploded.' The theorist in me thinks the spirit was looking for someone to inhabit who possessed inate qualities. (Maybe good? Maybe bad?) Either way, it clearly didn't prejudice against any sect. (Scientology, christianity, devil worship...) I'm certainly intrigued as to what that "spirit" was and why it chose Jesse.

Also, 2 of the jumps were essential to setting up Tulip and Cassidy's back story. Now that they've made their way to the same location, there should be less jarring setting changes.

- The fight choreography was pretty slick. For cable TV, I'm not sure it gets better. (Hell, I thought it was better than alot of premium shows.)

- The west Texas accents are going to get tiresome, but I found the Irish vampire guy pretty entertaining.

- I haven't read the comics, so I have no idea how deep in the religious/demonic/monster world hole this story goes. It's a fine line to be Constatine or a True Blood. (I hope it's closer to the former)
Teddy Perkins
AG
Finally got around to watching this last night. It was definitely sporadic throughout and I had to double check to make sure I hadn't changed the channel unintentionally during the vampire airplane scene. Once the ground work is laid I hope it takes a clear direction. I'll keep watching just to see how Rogen and Goldberg handle a sci-fi TV show.
La Fours
AG
I watched it yesterday. Looks promising.
gomerschlep
AG
Finally got around to watching this. The DVR last night. I liked it. ThinkI'll stick with this one.
Post removed:
by user
Goat Man
AG
I enjoyed it as well. I thought all the moving around from place to place made the show more interesting.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
Watched tonight. I'll probably check it out again next week. Jumps around a lot and I had no idea what was going on for some of it, but there was enough action to keep my attention. I want to fly on that airplane, at least until the whole murder thing.
Ghost91
Finally watched this off the DVR last night. My initial reaction is like just about everyone else on this thread - "sure jumps around a lot", "might be a bit too 'out there' for me", etc.

Among the many random things in the pilot, I was especially baffled by the kid with the puckered up mouth. Was there any reference to him or what his deal was either before or after the scene where Preacher visits him in his bedroom? I could sorta piece together the other wackos in the show based on other developments, but that one character seemed completely out of the blue in terms of there being any context for him anywhere else in the show.

Also, have other episodes after the pilot aired yet? I found it strange that it's been on my DVR for a few weeks now and no subsequent episodes have aired (unless my DVR didn't grab them for some reason).
schmendeler
AG
honestly thought it was just ok. no problems keeping up with it, but wasn't impressed with the acting. preacher's accent is pretty bad.

i'll give it another try.
La Fours
AG
From what was mentioned in the episode, my guess is he did something that was considered sinful and the result of his actions left him in the condition he's in now.
AggieDarlin
AG
"Did jesus take your wheel?"
Birddog
AG
Already taken out of my que to record. Just not my kind of show I guess.
Ganondorf
AG
Watched both episodes this weekend. It's weird but I'll stick around until the plot make sense.
toucan82
I'm sticking with it out of my love for the comic and nothing else
La Fours
AG
This episode was good. Wasn't as intriguing as the first. But was still good. I would like for them to reveal a little more than they have. But I'll keep watching.
PatriotAg02
AG
King Llane Wrynn!

Probably check this out due to having Dominic Cooper in it.
aggiegrad01
AG
quote:
... I was especially baffled by the kid with the puckered up mouth...
Mentioned something about a shotgun to try and kill himself.

Show looks weird but will to stick it out and see where it goes.

You can hear the preachers real English accent when trying to sound like he's from "west Texas"
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.