Silicon Valley - Season 3

101,705 Views | 632 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by PooDoo
Objective Aggie
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
quote:
Loved the subtle bit where Gavin says one in five employees could be let go, they then show the 5th guy on the board meeting say "huh?", then the next scene he's gone.

Ha, I didn't even notice he wasn't in the next meeting.

Same.
Citizen Reign
quote:
quote:
quote:
Raviga CEO still terrible.
I thought they did better with her. I wasn't as annoyed.

Nope. Still horribad.
I'm pretty sure she is there to annoy and be horrid. I love how unbearable she is.
El Mero Guero
Loved Urlich's Judas/Jesus line. And Jared clearing the bong was amazing.
MW03
AG
quote:
Loved Urlich's Judas/Jesus line. And Jared clearing the bong was amazing.
"At least Judas had the decency to kill himself after betraying Jesus, the CEO of the world!" You know him?"
cone
AG

quote:
Thank you all for coming on such short notice.

I have a difficult announcement to make.

We, in the tech business, often refer to failure as a good thing. Failure is growth. Failure is learning.

But sometimes failure is just failure.

I think... I'm sorry... I didn't think it would be this hard. But goodbyes are always hard, especially when I am the one saying goodbye.

Today, effective immediately, I, Gavin Belson, founder and CEO of Hooli, am forced to officially say goodbye to the entire Nucleus division. All Nucleus personnel will be given proper notice and terminated.

But make no mistake.

Though they're the ones leaving, it is I who must remain and bear the heavy burden of their failure. It is my fault. I trusted them to get the job done.

But that is the price of leadership.

Thank you.
man, that sounds familiar.
InternetFan02
AG
Wow, such a courageous speech. Inspiring.
Centerpole90
AG
https://instagr.am/p/BEtyWFvSvfy
Skitch05
AG
I worked in Silicon Valley for 3 years, and was part of a facility that was shut down and almost everyone was let go. This show hits closer to home than you might expect, but that Gavin Belson Nucleus shutdown announcement was like deja vu. Very similar to our CEO's speech at the time.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
His mom is probably dead.
Sentinel
AG
Freaking Jian Yang.
NoHo Hank
AG
Soooo that just happened.
Sentinel
AG
Things I thought I'd never see on TV.
Sentinel
AG
Perfect song choice at the end.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Loved the way the engineer solved the middling out problem.

And I lose it every time Erlich drops another "Mother ****!" On us.
InternetFan02
AG
"My ****'s pivoted"
"Yes the **** has pivoted"

New phrase for the week at work
Hickory High
AG
Wow. This sucks for Richard. Looks like they're continuing with the "Lucy pulling the football on Charlie Brown" thing.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great episode.
jtmoney03
AG
Dinesh as the foreigner.
mazag08
AG
Jareds "trick"
bkag9824
AG
Loved all the sales people repeating their name.

They call me Jan the Man.

Jin Yang was brilliant.

The CEO reminds me of an "exec" I worked with for a short while. Always not around, doing stuff that nobody would have gotten away with, and just generally being a know it all ******.
Muy
AG
Sometimes I pretend that my skeleton is my body and my skin is my house. So, I'm always home.
Al Bula
AG
The show has gotten a lot more interesting with the new CEO in two episodes. Love the struggle between the technology and the sales team. Jack is right: The product is the stock.
Red Five
AG
Of course you would throw rock. That's all you know in Pakistan. Do you guys call it "Rock, Rock, Rock"?
R0GUE
AG
"Am, am I the product?"

"What! No! Oh hell no!"
Muy
AG
Erlich taking credit for "making all of this happen", then grabbing cases of coconut water is what makes this show so great.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
This episode was nails.

I've been in 2 tech startups in engineering management. Before during and post bubble. The ceo lines and sales ideas were spot on. I've heard the exact same type of logic and indifference several times. Makes your head swim and completely counter intuitive.

One company I used to work at we would know something was up and try to guess what the CEO or execs would do. It always seemed to be an A or B type decision and we would say is A is bad And B is worse....this company will choose C something unpredictable completely out of left field and illogical. Happened a lot. We never were successful at predicting C it was something no engineering mind could even imagine.

None of this surprises me and its really pretty well written. Gotta have a lot of inside stuff giving judge sources and material. This stuff is closer to real than you would ever imagine unless you've been through it.
et98
AG
quote:
"Am, am I the product?"

"What! No! Oh hell no!"

That joke is what makes this show great.

As the CEO set that punchline up with "Our product isn't the platform..." I was terrified that he'd say "You Richard, you are the product" like some cheesy network show. Every show on network TV has ridiculously bad & cheesy dialogue like that and it makes me cringe every time...and I was terrified that Silicon Valley was going to do the same. Thank goodness they turned that dialogue on its head. I totally took the bait...and it was fantastic.
Duncan Idaho
I would do Jan the man.
et98
AG
I loved the Conjoined Triangles of Success. Every company has something similar. They're all the same, and they mean absolutely nothing.
InternetFan02
AG
Could be the new jump to conclusions mat

:large
InternetFan02
AG

http://www.bustle.com/articles/157415-are-the-conjoined-triangles-of-success-real-silicon-valley-mocks-a-famous-business-model
quote:
In an interview with Entertainment Weekly, writers Mike Judge and Alec Berg said that the Conjoined Triangles of Success are fictional, but have a very real basis. They were inspired by the many visual aids that businesses use to better communicate their methodologies. Judge and Berg directly compare the Conjoined Triangles to the well-known Pyramid of Success.

The Pyramid of Success was invented in 1948 at UCLA by basketball coach John Wooden, according to the UCLA Bruins website. The Pyramid features segments like "Competitive Greatness," "Alertness," and "Loyalty." Berg calls the Pyramid "the least graphically pleasing help aid you've ever seen" and said to EW, "There's just too many words in each box." Judge added, "It's confusing. There's no reason it needs to be a pyramid."

Judge and Berg aren't the first comedy writers to poke fun at the Pyramid of Success, as Parks and Recreation fans will recognize the similarities between the Pyramid of Success and Ron Swanson's Pyramid of Greatness.
Muy
AG
quote:
I loved the Conjoined Triangles of Success. Every company has something similar. They're all the same, and they mean absolutely nothing.

No doubt. His speech about this being taught at Stanford Business School had a very The Office feel to it.
jh0400
AG
I found the scenes with the salespeople to be disturbingly accurate, so much so that they almost weren't funny.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
The paradox of "give them something easy to sell or they will just go somewhere else" vs. "these are the best sales people in the world" is just perfect.

To an engineer if they are the best they should be able to sell anything. But the fact that they won't even try and have to have something easy to sell just screams hypocrisy and is counter intuitive.
InternetFan02
AG
Still laughing at the name Jan the Man...so sexist...yet so true. Damn I love the racism and sexism satire

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.