Harry Potter Theory Question

3,373 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by agracer
atm0812
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I came up with this question recently, so I'll apologize in advance if it was covered here somewhere, but no one else who has read Harry Potter was able to answer it for me.

Why didn't Lily and James apparate away from their house with Harry when Voldemort came to kill them?

Theories include:
-The Fideleous Charm hiding them doesn't allow you to apparate out. Although I don't remember that being a rule. I know you can't apparate in.

- Dumbledore guessed Harry could stop Voldemort but only if Lily and James died first trying to protect them. The Potters then agreed to sacrifice themselves for the betterment of the wizarding world.

-It's just a plot hole Rowling didn't think through.

-Other theories?

Thanks in advance for helpful and non-helpful responses.
wangus12
AG
Just a plot hole.
powerbelly
AG
I don't think it is easy (or even possible) to apparate with a baby.
wangus12
AG
In the 7th book, they don't apparrate by themselves. They hold hands and one of them does it. You take what you're holding
powerbelly
AG
Puts on nerd glasses:

I know its possible, but don't know how a baby would react (splinching).

I also always assumed that it wasn't possible to apparate in or out of their house.

Professor Frick
AG
Yup, splinching.
bobinator
AG
Also maybe it was like a "we're tired of hiding, it's going to happen eventually, let's go out heads high, we must protect this house" type thing? Though I'm not sure why you wouldn't send out the baby? Unless they thought if they couldn't protect him there they couldn't protect him anywhere?
atm0812
AG
I've heard that theory also. But you already mentioned that they'd try to hide Harry somewhere else if they're truly making a last stand.
RebAg13
KALALL
AG
Nobody ever apparated out of number 12 Grimmauld Place, they had to go to the stoop. Well Kreacher could but house elf magic is different. Also, Lilly didn't have a wand with her when Voldemort showed up.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
neither of them has their wand with them when he shows up because they think they're safe. Voldemort sees James through the window toss his wand on the couch and is like "YGBFKM", then is very scornful of him again when he tells Lily "Take Harry and go, I'll hold him off!"

No wands, no spells.
The Shank Ag
My thoughts exactly, they knew it was kill him or its over for their world as they know it kind of thing. Wonder if Dumbledore had any idea about the horcruxes at that point. Don't remember if it ever addressed when he started forming that theory. Harry and Snape were the only ones to learn about it from albus but maybe because he thought the idea was crazy at first and he key piling up more and more evidence unt Harry got the memory from Slughorn.
redd38
AG
Smells like muggle in here
AgLiving06
If I remember right, James didn't have his wand on him when Voldemort arrived.

When we see that scene from Voldemort's perspective, I think he comments on how silly it was that James thought he could stop him without his wand.

I don't think it was specifically mentioned on Lily, but maybe by the time she got to Harry, there wasn't time to apparate out or she also didn't have her wand.
TJaggie14
AG
JK Rowling is meh. She quit writing books after Goblet of Fire & started writing mediocre screen plays.
Madmarttigan
AG
That's just.... like... your opinion man.

I'm going to go with the fact that they didn't have their wands with them, a little hard to imagine but still.
Really???
Because the books are just pretend and none of it makes a lick of logical sense if you attempt to critically analyze the mechanics of the wizard world.
Joan Wilder
AG
I also think after James was killed, Lily realized her best option was simply to protect and save her son the best she could in the panic of the moment. Apparating with the baby would only delay the inevitable - the Fidelius curse hiding her whereabouts was lifted and Voldemort would have chased her down.
texasaggie04
AG
quote:
Nobody ever apparated out of number 12 Grimmauld Place, they had to go to the stoop. Well Kreacher could but house elf magic is different.

This is a good point. It's very possible that both houses had enchantments to prevent this.
Really???
AgLiving06
quote:
JK Rowling is meh. She quit writing books after Goblet of Fire & started writing mediocre screen plays.

Half blood Prince is probably the best book in the series?
AgLiving06
quote:
Nobody ever apparated out of number 12 Grimmauld Place, they had to go to the stoop. Well Kreacher could but house elf magic is different. Also, Lilly didn't have a wand with her when Voldemort showed up.

Don't the 3 of them apparate to the Ministry in the 7th book from there?
Joan Wilder
AG
They had to put the invisibility cloak on and apparate from the front step.
The Dog Lord
AG
Not having their wands is the correct answer.

In response to the when did Dumbledore know about the horcruxes question: I believe Dumbledore may have suspected something the night Voldemort tried to kill Harry. Voldemort and Dumbledore had conversations prior to that night where Voldemort made comments about going further down the path to immortality than anyone before. Tom Riddle's diary in book 2 gave him some physical proof basically, and then the memory from Slughorn in book 6 confirmed it for him once and for all.
Saxsoon
AG
quote:

Andthereitis.gif
agracer
AG
quote:
Neither did James.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.