What was Brody's Scar? Jaws

21,471 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Bruce Almighty
Cancelled
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
When Brody, Hooper and Quint are in the cabin, Hooper and Quiny are comparing scars...

Brody pulls up his shirt and looks at a scar on his belly and says nothing. What do you think it was from?

I think since he was a NYC cop, it was probably a gun shot. Thoughts?
Bruce Almighty
AG
appendectomy
SeattleAgJr
and it was actually Roy Schneider's scar, not makeup.
Cancelled
AG
Please. I think it was more than that.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Please. I think it was more than that.
actually, that's what it really was from.
Cancelled
AG
Scheider's or Brody's? I don't recall him saying anything about appendectomy in the movie.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Schneider
Cancelled
AG
Well sure. I was wondering about the character's scar.
Yoda
AG
It is definitely an appendectomy scar. That's the joke. The other two dudes have awesome war wounds dished out by sharks. Brody realizes the only story he would be able to share is about the time that surgeon stole his appendix.
Cancelled
AG
I kind of thought he wanted to be quiet about it, but that's (gun shot) what drove him from NYC to the island. It was just a thought.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
It is definitely an appendectomy scar. That's the joke. The other two dudes have awesome war wounds dished out by sharks. Brody realizes the only story he would be able to share is about the time that surgeon stole his appendix.
While its never really referenced, this is definitely possible. He's just embarrassed that he doesn't have anything to really compare to. Its possible that its from a gun shot as the other two share pride and laughter in their scars where his could be a painful memory that he doesn't want to talk about or dampen the mood with. There's a reason he left New York. Who knows, its pretty much believe what you want to believe.
Yoda
AG
I believe Spielberg's intent is clear. Always fun to imagine a different interpretation, though.

Found a really neat article about that scene I suspect you'd both like.
http://coachfinstock.blogspot.com/2012/05/classic-scenes-jaws.html?m=1

"Brody's isolation is symbolized when the scar scene begins, as he standing away from the table where the other two are sitting. Like the audience, he is a third party observer as the scene unfolds. His unwillingness to participate is further emphasized when he lifts his shirt to reveal what is obviously an appendicitis scar. He believes his injury is not significant enough to share with the others, so he lowers his shirt and returns to his role as the observer. Quint and Hooper laugh as they compare scars received from various adventures. The conversation takes a dark turn when Brody questions a scar on Quint's arm. Quint admits he received it from his days in the war."

mhayden
One of the greatest scenes in movie history
MSFC Aggie
AG
quote:
Agreed. Quint's description about being on the Indianapolis is one of the most gripping monologues in movie history.
gigemags-99
AG
quote:
quote:
Agreed. Quint's description about being on the Indianapolis is one of the most gripping monologues in movie history.

"...Lifeless eyes, black eyes, like a doll's eyes..."

Still gives me the shivers.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Comic book character Sebastian Shaw (Kevin Bacon's character in X-Men First Class) was modeled after Robert Shaw, the actor that played Quint.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.