*****New Music 2016 Q1 Thread*****

17,189 Views | 148 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by MW03
Bunk Moreland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Apologies to MW03 if you already started one but I searched and couldn't find.

These threads always help grow my music pallet and library, so what is everyone listening to that is new in 2016, or excited about coming up?

Currently listening to Lissie's new album "My Wild West" due out on the 12th. First listen at the link below:

http://blogs.wsj.com/speakeasy/2016/02/08/lissie-my-wild-west-stream/

Really looking forward to the Cave Singers - Banshee in a week or so.

TajMaballer
AG
Kanye is going to release his new album this week. I loved Real Friends and No More Parties in LA, so I can't wait to see what this album is going to be like.
Sex Panther
AG
He should rename the album #WizWearsCoolPants
FancyKetchup14
AG
or #fingersinthebootyass*****
mjfrog
AG
Soundchecked latest albums by The Cult and Ty Segall, both disappointing, especially after a great Manipulator album by Segall.
TheDino
AG
O'Brother is releasing their 3rd full length album on March 25th, titled Endless Light. Here is Deconstruct from the new album:

Deconstruct by O'Brother

Dustin Kensrue of Thrice is releasing a live acoustic covers album on March 18th, titled Thoughts That Float On A Different Blood. Here is his cover of Tom Waits' Down There By The Train from the new album:

Down There By The Train by Dustin Kensrue

Really looking forward to both of these. Also, Thrice has finished recording their new album. It will come out at some point this year. So pumped.

MSFC Aggie
AG
The Saint Johns

MW03
AG
I'm glad you started it, man. We're expecting our first very shortly, so things have been hectic.
New diiv
Sex Panther
AG
quote:
I'm glad you started it, man. We're expecting our first very shortly, so things have been hectic.

Congrats!

And I rarely have anything to contribute to these threads anymore unfortunately, but I'm always checking them out and listening to what's being mentioned. I definitely appreciate it.
TheDino
AG
And holy **** but how could I forget about this one..... a new album from Jeff Buckley will be released on March 11th. It is titled You and I and it contains mostly covers plus a couple of originals. I'm not exactly sure when these recordings took place. But, apparently, they are complete studio recordings. This will be fantastic.

Everyday People from Jeff Buckley (Sly & The Family Stone cover)
Bunk Moreland
Album releases today that I'm interested in:

Animal Collective - Painting With

Nigel Hall - Ladies & Genltemen... Nigel Hall

Mavis Staples - Livin' On a High Note

Wolfmother - Victorious

The Cave Singers - Banshee ---was really looking forward to this and it just didn't do much for me when I listened all the way through earlier this week. Will give it another chance

The little I've heard of Nigel Hall's album so far has been fantastic, so I'm trying to find a first listen online for that today.
DG-Ag
AG
I'm so old. The only one on this thread I've even heard of is Kanye - and that's only because he keeps popping up in the news. Haven't heard of any of the others.
Bunk Moreland

flintdragon
AG
I know no one cares but Dream Theater released their latest epic 3 weeks ago _The_Astonishing_.

Their first concert was last night. Review here.
TajMaballer
AG
I noticed towards the end of last year that albums started coming out on Fridays instead of Tuesdays. When did that happen?

I also appreciate music threads on here because I generally only listen to hip hop and miss some Indie bands (I didn't give Arcade Fire a chance until TA voted it best album of 2013. Now they are one of my favorite bands! Also shout out to Win Butler for winning the MVP of the celeb game at All-Star weekend!)

Will definitely check out that Animal Collective joint
Big Cat `93
AG
quote:
I know no one cares but Dream Theater released their latest epic 3 weeks ago _The_Astonishing_.

This one cares.
flintdragon
AG
quote:
quote:

This one cares.
After reading that review, I'm tempted to fly to Denver (I think it is closest) to see the show. Wish they were coming to TX.
Sex Panther
AG
I just recently started listening to Jeff Buckley. Amazing artist... Grace is a fantastic album and of course he has (in my opinion) one of the greatest recordings ever made with his rendition of Hallelujah.

Sad to think what could have been had he not passed away...
MW03
AG
Thanks, bud. Here's a new Purity Ring remix in return for the congrats.

https://soundcloud.com/iamlione/purity-ring-bodyache-lione-remix
zgood10
AG
quote:
quote:

This one cares.
And this guy
mazag08
AG
I really don't care about anything else except the Thrice album.

As creative as those guys are, after taking three years off to be with their families, pursue other things, Dustin getting deeper with his faith, I think this album is going to be their best yet.
MW03
AG
Every time I'm ready to swear off Weezer, they release a song like this. Between the last album and the tracks off the new one, I suppose I'm stoked for it.

MW03
AG
More good good. This time from Ray LaMontagne, who records what sounds like a lost track off Dark Side of the Moon.

MW03
AG
MW03
AG
RJD2 has been releasing some awesome stuff on his soundcloud page in preparation for his album release on 3/25

https://soundcloud.com/officialrjd2/06-we-come-alivefeaturing-son-little

https://soundcloud.com/officialrjd2/04-the-sheboygan-left-1
mjfrog
AG
from last year but didn't see this posted in the past:

Jacuzzi Boys
mjfrog
AG
Another from last half of last year. Sounds like (perhaps too much like) old skool Stone Roses...

mjfrog
AG
FWIW, Night Beats is advertised as a big part of the Mr. Fest (free shows) line-up in San Marcos next month.
MW03
AG
From 2015, but I missed it. Another jam of high order.

PatAg
AG
new last shadow puppets is pretty great
Birdwatcher
AG
Doctor Doctor by the Australian band Oh Pep! is a hit
MW03
AG
I don't know if it's already been mentioned, but the new Weezer White album (out 4/1) is pretty excellent. Say what you will, but when Weezer is good, they are really really good. This album isn't on top, but it's in the tier with Pinkerton, Maladroit, and Green. Note: Blue is royalty and can't be touched.

Anyway, the lyrics are cheesy and about California and girls and whatever, but that's Weezer. It's kind of geeky and angsty and snarky, but in appropriate amounts.

Check it out.
MW03
AG
Man, I went incommunicado there for a while and missed a lot. Not only the new Weezer, but also the new EXPLOSIONS IN THE SKY album THE WILDERNESS.

ccruz280
Really really like this band. Their newest album js really good. This is their lead single off of it.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.