Actor Robert Loggia Dies at 85

5,635 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by PatriotAg02
Rapier108
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Robert Loggia, a durable and versatile tough guy actor in movies and TV shows including Brian De Palma's 1983 drama "Scarface" and "Big," died Friday at his home in Los Angeles, his widow Audrey confirmed to Variety. He was 85.

Loggia had been battling Alzheimer's Disease for the past five years, according to his widow. They had been married for 33 years.

He was nominated for a supporting actor Academy Award for "Jagged Edge" in 1986 for his portrayal of blunt private detective Sam Ransom.

Loggia's most notable film credits included "An Officer and a Gentleman," "Prizzi's Honor," "Independence Day," David Lynch's "Lost Highway" and "Big," in which he played a toy company owner and performed a memorable duet on a giant foot-operated piano with Tom Hanks. He played Miami drug lord Frank Lopez in "Scarface."

Loggia was nominated for an Emmy in 1989 for his portrayal of FBI agent Nick Mancuso in the series "Mancuso FBI" which has a spin-off of the character he created in the "Favorite Son" miniseries starring Harry Hamlin and again in 2000 for his guest star role in "Malcolm in the Middle."

Loggia was a versatile supporting actor, assembling credits on three different episodes of "The Rockford Files" as three different characters. He also appeared in three different "Pink Panther" movies with three different character names.

Loggia played Anwar Sadat in the 1982 TV movie "A Woman Called Golda" opposite Ingrid Bergman. He also portrayed fearsome mobster-bakery owner Feech La Manna on several episodes of "The Sopranos."

Loggia was a native of Staten Island, born to Italian immigrants. He received a football scholarship to Wagner College and transferred to the University of Missouri. After serving two years in the U.S. Army, he began classes with Stella Adler and at the Actors Studio.

"He loved being an actor," his widow told Variety. "He used to say that he never had to work. He never had to wait tables."

http://variety.com/2015/film/news/robert-loggia-scarface-dies-dead-1201654545/
chipotle
DannyDuberstein
AG
Thought his short run on the Sopranos was awesome.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Piano scene from Big

Still amazing scene

Rip
jr15aggie
AG
How about a picture in the OP of these threads... Would really help with these lesser known actors (but I know who he is).
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
I hope he gets mentioned in the Independence Day sequel credits. He's by far my favorite part of the first movie.

"Get on the wire and inform the squadron around the world. Tell them how to bring those sons of *****es down!"

double aught
AG
quote:
I hope he gets mentioned in the Independence Day sequel credits. He's by far my favorite part of the first movie.

"Get on the wire and inform the squadron around the world. Tell them how to bring those sons of *****es down!"

"They're preparing to fire their primary weapon!"
JuliusCaesarAggie
Coach Wally Rig
-----------------------------------------------------------
Dan Scott
AG
InternetFan02
AG
InternetFan02
AG
Great 80s actor. I remember him most as the bad guy in Over the Top

dcaggie04
AG
Goodbye Coach Rig

[Halftime of final game]

Coach Rig: Now, let's analyze what's been working for us.

[Long pause]

Coach Rig: NOT A *********THING'S been working for us. Like this ******* suit doesn't work for me... and this stinking tie... and this *******ed shirt. IT DOESN'T WORK FOR ME. YOU KNOW HOW TO PLAY WINNING HARD-NOSED FOOTBALL? YOU PLAY FOOTBALL LIKE ED GENERRO PLAYED FOOTBALL. A guy who gave his life for this football team. He was a 140-pound halfback, and HE PLAYED LIKE A ******* WILDMAN! NO! LIKE A ******* RAMPAGING BEAST! And that's the way you got to do it! YOU GO OUT THERE! YOU TEAR THEIR ****ING HEADS OFF, AND YOU **** DOWN THEIR NECKS! Let us pray.
chipotle

quote:
"They're preparing to fire their primary weapon!"
OCEN99
AG
bigjag19
AG
quote:
Goodbye Coach Rig

[Halftime of final game]

Coach Rig: Now, let's analyze what's been working for us.

[Long pause]

Coach Rig: NOT A *********THING'S been working for us. Like this ******* suit doesn't work for me... and this stinking tie... and this *******ed shirt. IT DOESN'T WORK FOR ME. YOU KNOW HOW TO PLAY WINNING HARD-NOSED FOOTBALL? YOU PLAY FOOTBALL LIKE ED GENERRO PLAYED FOOTBALL. A guy who gave his life for this football team. He was a 140-pound halfback, and HE PLAYED LIKE A ******* WILDMAN! NO! LIKE A ******* RAMPAGING BEAST! And that's the way you got to do it! YOU GO OUT THERE! YOU TEAR THEIR ****ING HEADS OFF, AND YOU **** DOWN THEIR NECKS! Let us pray.

One of the greatest movie locker room speeches ever.
Hatchet Harry
AG
Loved him in Hot Pursuit w/ John Cusack.
chipotle
Our infant child just made a Robert loggia growl. Now I don't know if it was done in his honor but it seemed appropriate.
Mr. Nobody

Now let's pray.
Whachutalnbout Willys
AG

Was also the bad guy in the pilot episode of Magnum PI
Yoda
AG
Coach Rig: "I don't wanna put any undue pressure on you guys, but Coach Gennero's last words were, win or I'll die."
Southlake
Muck - I posted that same pic and nearly the same caption on my FB page!
PatriotAg02
AG
Love him in Necessary Roughness.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.