Netflix sucks

5,024 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Ragoo
Ryan the Temp
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not one single movie I have wanted to watch is available on Netflix. WTF is the point other than to take my money every month?
mid90
AG
quote:
Not one single movie I have wanted to watch is available on Netflix. WTF is the point other than to take my money every month?

If you don't like Top Gun, you can't be helped.
BMX Bandit
Yes, the point of Netflix is for it to make money. You have no choice but to pay b

What a Whiney thread.
rhutton125
AG
I've found that if you have a specific movie in mind, Netflix probably won't have it. But if you're willing to compile a list (or mental list) of movies they offer that you're interested in, you'll probably have dozens to choose from.
mm98
AG
I use it for binge watching TV series.

jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
Because Netflix has more than just movies? I mean, between Netflix and Amazon Prime there was (I don't have Prime anymore) some overlap on what the offered for streaming for some time. Personally I find Netflix to be worth it for binge watching TV shows. Netflix has been somewhat behind on movies for me, but then again I have caught most of what I wanted to see in theaters.
redd38
AG
I just use netflix for the free shipping.
amercer
AG
Netflix isn't a movie company anymore. It's all about the shows.
Quinn
AG
Netflix's list of movies does pretty much suck, but its list of TV shows is great.
Ragoo
AG
The unbreakable kimmy Schmidt duh. OP is Titus andromenon.

Ragoo
AG
Professor Frick
AG
MASAXET
AG
I actually agree pretty much with OP. Outside of TV shows and documentaries, Netflix doesn't offer much for me. However, those 2 things are enough for me
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
I'm not much of a TV watcher to begin with. I'd rather watch good movies if I'm going to sit around and do nothing. There are a couple of shows I watch regularly, but overall I just don't watch much television.
Btron
AG
I was wondering in regards to Netflix, how do movies make it to the streaming service? Do they pay to have their movie on there? Does Netflix pay? Is there profit sharing? How does it work? I would think movies that may have been passed over or not huge successes at the box office because of limited theaters caring the movie or time of year, would benefit from being on Netflix and expanding their audience. Mostly indie films, or cult action movies etc.
anyone know how it works or what in talking about?
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
I was wondering in regards to Netflix, how do movies make it to the streaming service? Do they pay to have their movie on there? Does Netflix pay? Is there profit sharing? How does it work? I would think movies that may have been passed over or not huge successes at the box office because of limited theaters caring the movie or time of year, would benefit from being on Netflix and expanding their audience. Mostly indie films, or cult action movies etc.
anyone know how it works or what in talking about?
This is the real source of my frustration with Netflix. I've gone looking for recent popular movies to no avail. I also looked for popular classics like the Indiana Jones anthology. Some of the movies I was looking for showed up as DVD only, but I don't have a DVD player.
AtlAg05
AG
Recent movies are available if you have the disc plan with them. As well as many other options.

Sex Panther
AG
Do you expect brand new releases to be available on Netflix the day they come out?

They still want to make money on DVD/Blu Ray sales.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
Do you expect brand new releases to be available on Netflix the day they come out?

No. When I say recent, I mean the last year or two.
Texags is garbage
I primarily use it for shows, but it seems like they love to put the sequel of a movie without being able to see the 1st installment. Makes sense if they want people to rent and/or buy the other movies I guess.
Sex Panther
AG
Here's something to help you out, if you watch on your computer.

Download a VPN. You can do a free one like Hola although most people would suggest you pay for one. They are very cheap. Here is a Reddit link with info on some.

Use a site like this one or this one to browse and see which movies are available in different countries.

Business Insider article on it for further reading pleasure
schmendeler
AG
quote:
quote:
I'm not much of a TV watcher to begin with. I'd rather watch good movies if I'm going to sit around and do nothing. There are a couple of shows I watch regularly, but overall I just don't watch much television.

Think of them as really good 13 hour moves with intermissions every hour.
Redstone
AG
We have Netflix streaming, Prime, a lot of DVDs, and cable streaming access, including HBO and Showtime. We use a wii and mobile devices for streaming, and a player for DVDs (with a PS2 also a possibility).
UnderoosAg
AG
quote:
quote:

Home Improvement
This Old House
Extreme Makeover: Start the F over completely edition
The Never Ending Story 2: Tales of the Water Heater
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Home Improvement
This Old House
Extreme Makeover: Start the F over completely edition
The Never Ending Story 2: Tales of the Water Heater

That water heater works like a boss.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
I miss walking into a Blockbuster at 10:30 PM.
AgGrad99
AG
quote:

Question about this......

Back in the good ole days, about 8 years ago.....we'd go to a rental store (Blockbuster/Hollywood/local mom & pops place) and rent the movie the day it came out. They got a percentage of the rentals...and of course, $$ for DVD sales. Not only that, but we could choose from nearly every movie you could think of, old or new.

So why did everything change? It's frustrating to find what you're looking for now. Netflix has this, Amazon has that, you have to wait for this, but not for that....it seems like the post-theater market has become extremely fragmented.

Why did everything change, when the way we rented the movie changes? A rental is a rental...why does the delivery method matter?
Squirrel Master
AG
quote:
So why did everything change? It's frustrating to find what you're looking for now. Netflix has this, Amazon has that, you have to wait for this, but not for that....it seems like the post-theater market has become extremely fragmented.

Why did everything change, when the way we rented the movie changes? A rental is a rental...why does the delivery method matter?
It's not fragmented at all. There are atleast two sources where you can see any 'new release' when it comes out, or extremely soon after - NetflixDVD and OnDemand. Now, if you're wanting to stream strictly from a subscription source like NetflixStream or Amazon, then yeah, much more limited availability.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
quote:

It's not fragmented at all. There are atleast two sources where you can see any 'new release' when it comes out, or extremely soon after - NetflixDVD and OnDemand. Now, if you're wanting to stream strictly from a subscription source like NetflixStream or Amazon, then yeah, much more limited availability.
I most often use Google play to Chromecast newer releases. Either rent it for a few bucks or buy it if I want to re-watch it.

Pretty easy just not free.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
AgGrad99
AG
quote:
Now, if you're wanting to stream strictly from a subscription source like NetflixStream or Amazon, then yeah, much more limited availability.
Right....so why is that?

Why does the method in which I receive the rental change things?
Squirrel Master
AG
quote:
quote:
Now, if you're wanting to stream strictly from a subscription source like NetflixStream or Amazon, then yeah, much more limited availability.
Right....so why is that?

Why does the method in which I receive the rental change things?
Because NetflixStream and Amazon aren't comparable to rental services.

OnDemand is the streaming equivalent of what Blockbuster was 10-20 years ago. The subscription services are different, because while still awesome, cost structure requires them to be more limited.
mavsfan4ever
AG
Basically, a company such as Netflix could give you what you are wanting (a subscription to download/watch all movies, like an online/streaming version of the old blockbuster stores), but it would cost you much more than the $9 per month you are currently paying for Netflix. I guess Netflix just doesn't think there would be enough demand for that type of produce when you factor in what it would cost.
israeliag
AG
So we're in agreement then? Netflix does not suck.
MaroonStain
AG
Netflix is fine for what is for me. Amazon Prime was badass now they charge for shows that they were free (Amy Schumer, etc). Redbox is fine. Google Play is cheaper than Amazon Prime for new releas movies. I really just watch DVDs as background monochrome noise and read.
txagman1998
AG
http://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/2015/08/31/epix-headed-hulu-netflix-deal-ending-september/71473212/

A couple of months ago, Epix (Lionsgate/MGM/Paramount/Viacom) took their movie catalog from Netflix to Hulu. Probably explains your frustration with not being able to find the films you want on Netflix.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.