Saw Creed

8,453 Views | 71 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by M.C. Swag
Philip J Fry
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just got out of the theater. I don't think it's fair to compare this with the original Rocky series, but it is a solid movie. One of the better movies I've seen this year for that matter. Michael B. Johnson carries the legacy of Creed well and despite the age timeline, I completely accepted the idea that he could be Apollo's illegitimate son. Stallone seems to fall effortlessly into his Rocky persona and it was no different this time around.

That being said, having grown up with my Rocky collection, it's safe to say that this one misses the mark when it comes to the charm of the originals, the anticipation of the fight during training montages, and the excitement of the fights themselves. All of it just felt very scripted. I enjoyed this more than Balboa, so if I had to rank this in the Rocky universe:

1: Rocky I
2: Rocky II
3: Rocky III/Rocky IV
4: Creed
5: Balboa

I do not consider V to exist in my world, so it cannot be ranked.
AGSPORTSFAN07
AG
Dang. I was really hoping this would at least be a 2.
wheelsoff
I havent seen Creed, but how can you put Balboa last? Great story. I give you in reality Rocky is knocked out in the first 30 seconds at the end..but the rest of the movie is on par with the 1st two films...
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
I havent seen Creed, but how can you put Balboa last? Great story. I give you in reality Rocky is knocked out in the first 30 seconds at the end..but the rest of the movie is on par with the 1st two films...

Because it's last in my book? If both are playing on tv at the same time, I'm going to watch the original 4 before I watch Balboa. I'm not suggesting that it's a bad movie, it just isn't my favorite.
La Bamba
AG
I agree I'd put the first 4 movies there first then Creed, then Balboa and then 5. I was waiting for some of the original music to hit and we finally got it in the 12th round. The highs weren't as high as the first Rocky but it was a solid movie.
Philip J Fry
AG
I had the exact reaction. I wonder if I would have ranked it higher if they had s better supporting soundtrack.
Yoda
AG
Saw it yesterday with my sons, age 9 & 12. We all really enjoyed it. I think I'd describe it more as a great film rather than just a great movie, if that makes sense. Rocky is a great film. The Godfather is a great film. Rocky III & IV are great movies which I can watch any day and have a ball.

I thought both Stallone and Michael B. Jordan were outstanding. If you've ever cared about the Rocky series, you owe it to yourself to see this one.
wangus12
AG
I really enjoyed it. Agreed that is just a straight up good film
Human
AG
It was good. Rotten Tomatoes gave it a 90.

I would have ranked it 80.

The boxing scenes were spectacular.
Aggie
AG
I saw it with my son on Wednesday.

It was a good movie but as even the movie producers have said " it's not Rocky 7.

If they wanted to go that route I think they easily could of , with more of a connection to the past, and it would of been a great film.
The way Creed sets itself up as the " next Rocky Franchise" and they can move ahead in that series without the Rocky Balboa character, which they set themselves up to do so in Creed.
All in all it was a good movie however and I'm glad we went to see it... But it's not the same as the other Rocky movies.. Except Rocky 5 which was terrible.
Bullpen Chias
AG
I'm a Rocky snob. Didn't bother seeing Balboa because I felt they had already flown the plane into the ground. Saw the first 3 with my Dad at the theaters and 4 with my buddies. In high school. Took my 10yo son to see it today. It is a "must see" for Rocky fans, and while I agree with some of the other comments about missing some of the peaks of the previous movies, it was a solid film and better than most of what I've seen in the theater in recent years. My son enjoyed it - money well spent and I will see the next one if they make another.
AgPediRPh
AG
SPOILERS
C-
It was Rocky 1.2

Rocky/Adrian wanted to prove they weren't losers; Adonis wanted to prove he wasn't a bstard. Champ picks a unknown guy with a good sounding name for an exhibition fight. It even had the split decision loss at the end. I was really hoping for Rocky to throw in the towel so he wouldn't fail Adonis the way he failed Apollo. Instead it was the same "go give it your all, tiger"!

But it's worth watching just for the training scenes.
Bobcat06
AG
The first fight with Leo was filmed in a continuous long shot (a la Gravity, Birdman, etc), but the bruise make up looked like it was applied after each punch. Any idea how this was done? Hidden cuts? CGI?
investorAg83
AG
I liked it a lot. A lot of great quotes throughout the movie and it was shot very, very well. Worth seeing in the theater.
Post removed:
by user
Yoda
AG
Um, Sheriff...

Tony "Bomber" Bellew is so-called because of his aggressive power punching. Born in Liverpool, the Merseyside boxer enjoyed a 40 - 7 amateur career before turning professional in October 2007. Tony Bellew is an English professional boxer and a former three time ABA Heavyweight Champion. He trains out of the Rotunda gym in Liverpool and is promoted by Eddie Hearn's Matchroom Sport. He is a former Commonwealth light heavyweight champion. He also held the WBC intercontinental belt after stopping Colombian Edison Miranda in the ninth round at London's Alexandra Palace. Holds a professional record of 24 wins 15 by KO/TKO, losses 2 and 1 draw

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm6905689/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm
HeadGames
AG
Wow, some die hard Rocky fans in here. Now I feel bad for really liking it. I would put it my 3rd fav rocky movie.
Post removed:
by user
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Wow, some die hard Rocky fans in here. Now I feel bad for really liking it. I would put it my 3rd fav rocky movie.
I agree. I would put it third behind the original and Rocky IV.
dfphotos
so glad this was not about Scott Stapp
Post removed:
by user
AggieOO
i'm surprised it took that long for the band reference to come in play. When i saw this title, it was the first thing I thought of.
Bobcat06
AG
http://www.rollingstone.com/sports/videos/watch-a-confused-scott-stapp-review-creed-20151123
Diggity
AG
that's not how rotten tomatoes works.
easttexasaggie04
AG
Saw Creed in 2001. Afterwards I got to touch boobs in the parking lot.
R0GUE
AG
The fact that that guy obviously knows his band is a joke has made me suddenly start to like him.

"There were no epic guitar solos on mountain tops! Or shots of me singing alone on a cliffside! That's what Creed does best!"

COOL LASER FALCON
quote:
The first fight with Leo was filmed in a continuous long shot (a la Gravity, Birdman, etc), but the bruise make up looked like it was applied after each punch. Any idea how this was done? Hidden cuts? CGI?
I don't really know how they do this, but I just wanted to throw in that this was my favorite scene in the movie. The sound was really cool too where you could hear Rocky from his corner.

I didn't think the final match was as cool, but something about it really drew you in. Very audible gasps in my theatre.
watty
AG
This movie was AWESOME. Stallone as Rocky had one of the best acting performances I've seen in ages. The writing and acting in the locker room when Rocky says what he wishes he hadn't was incredible. So well done.

I loved everything about it.
Stive
AG
Everyone I know that saw Balboa thinks it was a REALLY GOOD movie. It's not better than the first one, not as "exciting" as 4, but overall story, depth of some of the characters....it's good. I don't think you'd regret seeing it.
Removed:09182020
AG
As far as movies go, this to me was the best made Rocky movie. Incredible cinematography, well acted, and pulls on your heart strings. That said, you can't have Creed without the original Rocky franchise. Here's how I rank:

1. Rocky
2. Creed
3. Rocky 2
3b. Rocky IV - As an aside, this as a move is as terrible as Rocky V. Horribly cheesy, no real character development. Just Hollywood using the Cold War antics and recycled training montages to print money. And yet, IT WORKS. Damnit if I'm not rooting for the USA's plucky fighter from Philly lifting logs and old school training to beat "I vill break you" USSR. I know exactly what cheap jingoism the filmmakers are exploiting, and I fall for it and love it every time.
4. Rocky 3
5. Rocky Balboa
6. Rocky 5
Bruce Almighty
AG
1. Rocky
2. Rocky IV - the rocky I grew up with
3. Creed
4. Rocky Balboa
5. Rocky II
6. Rocky III
7. Rocky V
Ronnie
AG
1. Rocky
6. Rocky III
3. Creed (did not see)
4. Rocky Balboa (did not see)
5. Rocky II
7. Rocky V
Stive
AG
quote:
1. Rocky
3. Creed
4. Rocky Balboa
5. Rocky II
6. Rocky III
7. Rocky V

This ranking probably works for me (though I haven't seen Creed). That's how I'd rank the Rockys, and if Creed is like everyone describes it, then this would make sense in my world.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
1. IV
2. I
3. Balboa
4. Creed
5. III
6. II
7. There is no V
evan_aggie
AG
I saw it a few hours ago at Alamo draft house. The before-movie-footage included bikes and 4 wheelers doing stunts on the street. I kept thinking. ..wtf. then i saw the movie and realized why.

It was a bit out of place imo.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.