Corollary...greatest musical genius since 1900

3,221 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Big Cat `93
GasPasser97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I say Hendrix

Again...he's not on my regular rotation...like Johhny Bush, et al....just sayin

I'm sure the Beatles and Brian Wilson are in the conversation. Maybe Jim Morrrison. Maybe the sum parts of the Stones or Zep.

But for my money...as a pure musical/spiritual conduit...it's gotta be Hendrix....at least if you're gonna put it on one guy.
Duncan Idaho
I will just end this thread right now and say prince.

aTmAg
AG
Ennio Morricone, John Williams, or Hans Zimmer.

Top 40 music will go down as nothing more than folk music of our day. Nobody will give it a 2nd notice in 100 years.
Professor Frick
AG
But movie scores will be exalted as high art for centuries to come?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Shakespeare and ****ens was considered dumbed down literature made for the masses. Trying to predict what will stand the test of time is impossible.
salvatore_ditmars
1900 is a weird choice for a cut off point.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Texags filters Charles D i c k e n s!!!
R0GUE
AG
quote:
1900 is a weird choice for a cut off point.
Yes it is, and are we talking about the artist's birth-date or the period during which they were active? If you go back to the 1890's and you are talking about years active you'd HAVE to say Scott Joplin, and I don't think you'd get any argument from music historians.

Instead I'll go with Aaron Copland.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If we're talking pure musical genius, then it isn't going to be anyone in rock. My vote goes to Dizzy Gillespie.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Frank Zappa.
aTmAg
AG
quote:
Absolutely. They can usually stand on their own just like Mozart and Beethoven is listened to on ipods today.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
If we're talking pure musical genius, then it isn't going to be anyone in rock. My vote goes to Dizzy Gillespie.

I agree. To me, rock by its very nature is not really geared toward virtuosity or 'genius'. The true musical geniuses of the 20th century are going to be found in jazz and classical.
Professor Frick
AG
quote:
quote:
Absolutely. They can usually stand on their own just like Mozart and Beethoven is listened to on ipods today.

To be clear, I think those film composers are exetremeley talented, and maybe they should be considered as peers among your typical classical composers, I just don't think it's going to happen. I think they will always be considered something 'lesser' because they make 'popular' music for movies.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Nickleback.

Made millions and millions of dollars without any talent.
aTmAg
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

To be clear, I think those film composers are exetremeley talented, and maybe they should be considered as peers among your typical classical composers, I just don't think it's going to happen. I think they will always be considered something 'lesser' because they make 'popular' music for movies.
And Shakespeare merely wrote plays. In this day and age, movie scores are where the top classical talent go. It's where the big money is. In Mozart and Beethoven's day, there were kings and wealthy benefactors who would often bankroll them, but if they were alive today, they'd be doing movies too. In the future, it might be video games. These are all mere forms of entertainment. Do the rock musicians of today somehow cheapen their work because they replicate it in concerts? No. That's part of the entertainment business.
G Martin 87
AG
Greatest musical genius since 1900? Sergei Prokofiev. I don't think it's remotely close.
Bottlehead90
AG
The term genius for musicians can be used too liberally, but I do think Jimi was a genius. I don't know that I would say THE genius since 1900, but he should be in the discussion.

However, I would argue that Muddy Waters was the most influential since 1900. But that is another thread.
Bruce Almighty
AG
And I'd argue that Louis Armstrong is the most influential. I think he's the starting point for modern music.
R0GUE
AG
quote:
Greatest musical genius since 1900? Sergei Prokofiev. I don't think it's remotely close.
For some reason I thought we were restricting ourselves to Americans, but the OP didn't really specify.
BigJim49 AustinNowDallas
AG
Isn't Pro- buried in the USA ?
salvatore_ditmars
quote:
Isn't Pro- buried in the USA ?
not according to wiki

quote:
Prokofiev died at the age of 61 on 5 March 1953, the same day as Joseph Stalin. He had lived near Red Square, and for three days the throngs gathered to mourn Stalin, making it impossible to carry Prokofiev's body out for the funeral service at the headquarters of the Soviet Composer's Union. He is buried in the Novodevichy Cemetery in Moscow
MW03
AG

NSFW language, obviously
Ulrich
Many of those composers back in the day were doing what was considered lightweight entertainment for the masses. I don't think it's crazy at all to believe that a John Williams/Horner/Zimmer will be looked back upon as geniuses for the power and emotion of their scores.
The Collective
AG
quote:
Texags filters Charles D i c k e n s!!!

Chuck Cockens
Clavell
AG
Andrew Lloyd Webber
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Andrew Lloyd Webber
LegettHall
Go back to 1970 and the answer I give is Jeff Lynne.

Plug him into Wikipedia and see what he has done. A lot.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
Yani
Rex Racer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Wasn't much of "classical" music popular in its day?
Aust Ag
AG
I think the definition of Genius in this case is someone who did something nobody was coming close to doing at the time....(and it's actually good). Most names above don't qualify. As for the last 50 years, which is all I really feel qualified to discuss, I guess you could throw Hendrix in there. Actually put EVH in there too. Maybe Page but possibly more for his production work, which looking back really was what set Zep apart (figured out a way to make all 4 members phenoms).

I know, I know, nobody here from the last 25 years or so..... Oh, how do you discount what Waters did with Floyd? Easy to make a case for his stuff lasting far after his death.

This whole argument can drive people crazy.....genius talk.
Duncan Idaho
This guy sums up the prince argument fairly well but I think he still doesn't hit how brilliant the guy is.

The night I saw him, he played 5 uckng instruments as well or better than I ever heard any else play.

The sheer volume of his work is remarkable for the songs he has written for other to the stuff he has written for himself.

https://www.quora.com/Is-prince-is-the-greatest-musical-genius-ever
GCRanger
AG
Not sure about genius but certainly influential for Hip Hop, Synth, Disco, dance music, etc.

Dr. Robert Moog

The guys at Roland who engineered the TR-808, TR-606, TR-909, TR-707, TB-303, etc.

Giorgio Moroder

Kraftwerk
Big Cat `93
AG
Aaron Copland and/or the Gershwins.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.