Game changers....music

3,379 Views | 55 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Elmo Lincoln
Head Ninja In Charge
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Wu-Tang Clan - 36 Chambers.

Changed a lot of things in rap. Changed what got rapped about, what a group consisted of, changed image, changed the way contracts were structured, everything. The album that kept the East Coast rap from drowning during Death Row's hey day.
double aught
AG
quote:
For me, personally, in the early 2000s, i was in the post-grunge funk. The biggest rock acts were 3 Doors Down, Staind, and freaking Nickelback. Bleh. Then one night I was flipping channels and happened to check this gem:

I've been a huge White Stripes, and Jack White in general, fan ever since. Dude is a genius.
Well said. I loved that early/mid 2000s garage sound. White Stripes, Strokes, etc. I really thought it would have more longevity.
Bunk Moreland
Fast Fred and HNIC have probably the 2 best contributions to the thread so far as far as "game changer."

But that's not surprising coming from either of them on a music thread
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Personally, The Postal Service's Give Up was an album that really got me away from what I normally listened to in high school. The first non-rap "indie" album I bought. It was the soundtrack to my first year or so at A&M. Good times.
Potcake
AG
How about Bob Marley? He wasn't the first reggae star but became the face of it.

Also add Sinatra to the list.
Gene1938
Radiohead
ORAggieFan
My memorable lifetime:
Nirvana
Dr. Dre
Dave Matthews Band
Of Monsters and Men

Post removed:
by user
Funky Winkerbean
AG
quadrophenea-opened up quadrophonic stereo
Human
AG
Some of y'all have turned this into your favorite bands thread, not the "game changers"

Radio head
Tool
White Stripes

Lol
Ol Jock 99
AG
That's why I included the word personally. Otherwise this would be a very boring thread. Buddy Holly, Chuck Berry, the Beatles, Led Zeppelin, nirvana on the rock side. The end.
Bruce Almighty
AG
quote:
Some of y'all have turned this into your favorite bands thread, not the "game changers"

Radio head
Tool
White Stripes

Lol
You need to read the OP more carefully. The percentage of people that post on this board that were around to see The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix and Led Zeppelin come on the scene are incredibly small.
Big Cat `93
AG
I'd have to include King's X, too. They influenced a ton of bands who went on to become way more famous. Plus, all the down-tuned guitars in the 90s were a (much, much less creative) product of Ty Tabor doing so in the late 80s.
Texaggie7nine
I'm making this a little more personal.

Parents Just don't Understand - DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince was what got me into rap as a kid.

Smells like Teen Spirit was the first song to make me at least appreciate Grunge even though I wasn't a big fan.

Dr Dre - Nuthin but a G Thang changed me to a gangster rap fan.

The one song, but more so the one performance that made me the huge EDM fan I am was the live performance shown via satellite on the MTV music awards from some festival in the UK. After seeing this I went and immediately bought all the Prodigy Albums I could and never stopped obsessing over EDM since.

7nine
Quad Dog
AG
I feel like Adelle is a game changer compared to the pop princesses out there now, but it's probably more accurate to call her a throwback.
Human
AG
quote:
I'm making this a little more personal.

Parents Just don't Understand - DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince was what got me into rap as a kid.

Smells like Teen Spirit was the first song to make me at least appreciate Grunge even though I wasn't a big fan.

Dr Dre - Nuthin but a G Thang changed me to a gangster rap fan.

The one song, but more so the one performance that made me the huge EDM fan I am was the live performance shown via satellite on the MTV music awards from some festival in the UK. After seeing this I went and immediately bought all the Prodigy Albums I could and never stopped obsessing over EDM since.

I think I'm very open to new sounds and willing to try different music. You'd be surprised what's on my playlist, but with all due respect that video is fuchin terrible.

Try some Ministry.
Texaggie7nine
Well that was in 97 and it was a live performance via satellite. But as a teen I had never experienced anything like that. I had been to rap and rock concerts. Seeing that performance blew my mind. Sure there was better performances to see like Crystal Method and Chemical brothers but that was my first exposure to it because it broke into the mainstream on MTV video awards. Fat of the Land album by Prodigy blew up after that in the US or at least in my social circles.
Though Music for a Jilted Generation which was their previous album was even better and a true groundbreaking album in the genre.

Ministry I really do not like in the slightest. I know, I have friends who are metalheads.
7nine
LHIOB
AG
I have always thought that Outkast really changed rap. While it wasn't their first album, Stankonia really had a different feel to it.
Garrelli 5000
AG
Forgot Run-DMC - that was my introduction to rap! The cassette case had TWO different liner covers.
petey88

Hank Williams
FtBendTxAg
AG
misunderstood the thread at first so.. Edit.

Definitely modest mouse for me.

They completely changed the way I looked at music.

Before that, prob Pixies
Elmo Lincoln
AG
Uncle Tupelo

I suppose the Jayhawks preceded Uncle Tupelo in establishing the alt country genre, but Tupelo was the game changer in my mind.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.