Mockingjay Part 2

3,631 Views | 32 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by AliasMan02
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Spoilers ahead.

Anybody else disappointed? That felt anticlimactic as all hell to me. Everything was great until the bombs dropped in the crowds. Firstly, the sister was on the front lines with no explanation. Then, Katniss comes to and the Capitol has already been taken? Really?

You spent the whole series building up to the revolution and then we don't get to see the most crucial part of the battle?

And then to pull the rug out in the last act and have Katniss kill Coin was just weird. Again, three movies of buildup to Snow's death and then she doesn't even kill him. I hate when they introduce new bad guys at the very end of a movie and the "big bad" doesn't even get a proper death scene.

Then again, as I understand it the movie was exactly like the book, so it's on the author really.

And then never seeing Panem actually prosper and be free was frustrating. Katniss returns to District 12 and apparently lives in the ruins with Peeta all alone. That's what they fought for?

And I'm not really clear on if Gale had anything to do with Coin's plan or if he just designed those bombs?

Anyway, that's my thoughts. What did everyone else think?
wangus12
AG
Haven't seen the movie and don't really plan to, but yeah that sounds exactly like the book
AgMarauder04
AG
In the book, that's what's implied...that Gale designed the plan.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
To bomb the Capitol children? That's ****ed.

And sorry Philip, missed your thread.
hurleyag
AG
Haven't seen the movie yet, but from the book the theme I picked up was that even when you "win" the revolution you don't really win. That explains why the districts are still in disarray and Katniss realized she overthrew one bad dictator for another bad dictator so she took out that bad apple too.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
The ending of the book was an absolute handjob. I was kind of hoping that they would change the ending for the movies. Sounds like they didn't.
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
To bomb the Capitol children? That's ****ed.

And sorry Philip, missed your thread.

I think the basic premise of the plan was kill Snow. I don't think they planned on the children being there. I especially don't think the sister being there was anticipated either. Just the grim of war that innocents are often caught up in it all.
wangus12
AG
I thought it was implied to have the first bombing on the children, let the medics come in (Prim included), then bomb the medics. All of this from a hovercraft to make it look like the Capitol did it on purpose and to sway people from Snow to the Rebellion
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, Snow said Coin's intent was to kill children to sway people to the rebellion. If that was the plan and Gale knew about it, that's pretty messed up. Then again maybe Snow was manipulating Katniss until the very end.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
If I recall correctly, the Capitol was going to surrender, but Coin didn't want that, she wanted total annihilation, so she bombed the kids to make sure her troops gave no quarter to the Capitol Forces.

That ending seemed very very rushed in the book, but it's hard to tale that complex a plot when you're going first person.

Upon reflection after a few years - and I probably won't see the movie until it's on cable - I really like the ending. Katniss isn't the great hero of District 13. She doesn't even know it exists until the end of the second book. And Coin is aptly named, she's the other side of the coin of Snow, just a little nicer to look at it because she's trying to take him down. Ultimately she's just as power hungry as he was, and Katniss has no interest in politics or anything else, she just wants to hold onto what's left of her family and go home.
JCRiley09
AG
Saw it last night. I thought they really underplayed Prim's death. It was really quick and my wife and I both agreed after the flick that we didn't know she died until someone mentioned it later.

Everything started because she saved her sister from participating in the games. And then if you blink, you completely miss Prim's death.

Agreed - rushed ending
jabberwalkie09
AG
I stand corrected, I guess I had forgotten that but yeah that sounds correct.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That bothered me too. No funeral, no mourning period (except yelling at the cat I guess?), nothing.

And this is the person she's supposed to care about the most?

I guess I can see the ending they were trying to go for, that there is never victory in war, that more often than not dictators are replaced by dictators, and that sort of thing. Maybe I'll appreciate it more after reflecting on it a bit more, but my immediate reaction was that it was a big let down.

I mean, essentially Katniss did nothing in the last movie to affect the outcome of the war. I think that is what's most disappointing. From the time their mission started in the Capitol, to the moment it was bombed, it doesn't really feel like she or her team made any difference. The strategy with the bombs was probably in place already and it would've gone down exactly the same had they not been there. It's not like Katniss' supposed "death" rallied the troops so to speak, the attack was already in motion.
AgMarauder04
AG
quote:
That bothered me too. No funeral, no mourning period (except yelling at the cat I guess?), nothing.

And this is the person she's supposed to care about the most?

I guess I can see the ending they were trying to go for, that there is never victory in war, that more often than not dictators are replaced by dictators, and that sort of thing. Maybe I'll appreciate it more after reflecting on it a bit more, but my immediate reaction was that it was a big let down.

I mean, essentially Katniss did nothing in the last movie to affect the outcome of the war. I think that is what's most disappointing. From the time their mission started in the Capitol, to the moment it was bombed, it doesn't really feel like she or her team made any difference. The strategy with the bombs was probably in place already and it would've gone down exactly the same had they not been there. It's not like Katniss' supposed "death" rallied the troops so to speak, the attack was already in motion.
I haven't seen the movie, but in the book, she pretty much goes crazy when Prim dies.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Ah. They definitely did a bad job of showing it in the movie, then.
wangus12
AG
Yeah definitely insane by the end and Peeta basically has is caring for a mental patient
Knife_Party
quote:
The ending of the book was an absolute handjob. I was kind of hoping that they would change the ending for the movies. Sounds like they didn't.

Maybe I should read these after all.
Fat Bib Fortuna
AG
Katniss has exactly 28 days left to be relevant; after that, the odds will no longer be in her favor.

Brian Earl Spilner
AG
The force is not with her.
chipotle
Previews went kind of apes**t reminding us who Prim was since most who are just watching the movies forgot about her completely. So it was pretty clear they were going to stick with the books and knock her off.
aglaohfour
AG
quote:
Yeah, Snow said Coin's intent was to kill children to sway people to the rebellion. If that was the plan and Gale knew about it, that's pretty messed up. Then again maybe Snow was manipulating Katniss until the very end.

I believe that in the book (it's been a long time since I've read it), Katniss really struggles with if she should believe Snow or not. Then Gale basically confirms that the purpose of the bombing was to sway the remaining loyalists to the rebel side. When Coin proposes another Hunger Games, that seals her fate in Katniss' heart because there is nothing she hates more than the Hunger Games. She knew that Snow would die either way, but it was her best chance to kill Coin.

I agree that it was a little anticlimactic by skipping over the actual final battle/taking of the captiol. But k think that was glossed over in the book too because after Katniss sees Prim die, she basically loses her mind (maybe she blacks out in the book too?). I felt like it was true to the book except that the book does sort of explain how Prim and the other medics came to be in the square to begin with. I could see how just a movie-watcher would think, "what the hell??"
Philip J Fry
AG
That's how the book was too though. I had to defeat that passage several times because I thought I'd missed something. That whole scene is why I largely hate the last one. I thought she mailed it in.
Joan Wilder
AG
That book was really written poorly - you could tell the author felt under tremendous pressure to deliver something "big" and it felt labored. I remember feeling there were multiple times Katniss was knocked out and woke up and something major had happened while she was out.
Ragoo
AG
Read the first two books. Wife was underwhelmed by the third so I didn't read it.

The whole teen revolt, teen leaders of the new world concept is over played. Hunger games, divergent, maze runner.
FilmGuy
A wrote a long thing about it, but to some it up I was extremely disappointed in this final part. A bunch of characters die that are either not important or completely forgotten about later. Hilariously ridiculous traps, eye rolling plot conveniences, and about 3 different endings that crawled at a snail's pace.
AgShaun00
AG
Coin always wanted her dead. She was more important dead than alive. I agree the ending kind of seemed rushed.
jr15aggie
AG
Having read the books here is my insight on a few things:

1. Movies followed the books VERY closely. Well done in that regard. Seeing the comments about how the ending felt "rushed"... now imagine if Mockingjay were 1 movie! The 3rd book was one blow after another... it's brutal the 1st time through and it would have failed big time as one movie. I'm glad they broke it up.

2. Gale did not conceive the plan to kill children, but he was clever from a military standpoint. It was his idea how to disable "the nut" and he did help design some cool weapons / tactics to fight the capital. But he had no idea what his creations would ultimately be used for.

3. Katniss did indeed see the evil she was about to put into power, so she changed her target. In the book Snow laughs so hard he chokes on his own blood and dies. He starts to do this in the movie and is also torn apart by the mob... as fitting and public a death as you can hope for.

4. I'm a fan of how the group ends up at the end, despite the crap they went through in their life. It's hard to swallow given all the crap that just happened (when I read the book Finnick's death hit me right in the gut... and then Prim very shortly after). It's not all rainbows and sunshine, but it's nice.

Overall I'm a big fan of the series. I really enjoyed the books (enough to read them twice) and the movies were spot on. And big kudos to the group who put this cast together. Woody Harrelson as Haymitch was one of many perfect choices!
jeffk
AG
Saw it last night and really liked it... but I also really liked the third book. Darker, more gritty, no perfect ending for the characters, they're all damaged goods by the end. Thought casting was the most solid part of this series (minus shrimpy Hutcherson for Peeta, but he did a good job anyway).

Anyone else think they made Coin a Hillary Clinton clone for this? Mannerisms, dress, speech all reminded me of Hilldawg.
jeffk
AG
So many missed opportunities to use the ghost of Cinna though.

Katniss running from the mutts? I WANNA GET AWAY! I WANNA FLY AWWWWWWAAAAY!

Gale dismissing Katniss on the hovercraft? AMERICAN WOMAN!! GET AWAY FROM MEEEEEE!!
Satellite of Love
quote:
Firstly, the sister was on the front lines with no explanation. Then, Katniss comes to and the Capitol has already been taken? Really?

The Capitol wasn't taken when she arrived. That was the final assualt. Her elite team was to stay back for propaganda shorts.

Her sis was a medic. Are medic not suppose to be up with the front line battle?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
There was absolutely no mention of the sister, a young girl, being sent to the field, much less the Capitol during the final assault.

And the Capitol was taken while Katniss was unconscious, was it not?
SwigAg11
AG
In the books, I know Prim is getting training to eventually become a doctor. I can't remember though if she ever really received combat medic training though.
aTmLoKi
AG
Saw it last night. As it has been mentioned, the movie followed the book pretty spot on - which is unfortunate. I too was hoping they would rewrite the final act, as the final 1/5 of the book is a big pile of steamy poo.

Regarding Prim, there were two moments early on that foreshadowed her being sent to the front:
1. The first is when she visited Peeta as the nurse/medic with the M armband on her arm
2. Right before Katniss, Gale and Company depart their base (after meeting up with Boggs and Jackson?) there was mention that the medics would be sent to the frontline to aid those in need.

After seeing that second part, I thought - this is how they're going to justify Prim's presence in the bombing. Still, for being such a "major character" that was so closely tied to Katniss (and her whole involvement in the Hunger Games) it really was treated as an afterthought and almost seemed like filler for shock purposes.

Like the books, the first two were really good - with the third one being rushed and discombobulated.
AliasMan02
AG
Just got out. Thought it was overall pretty good, but the third act was a mess.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.