Sirius XM worth the money?

7,068 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DustysLineup
easttexasaggie04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ba Ba Boooooooey!!

Ta Ta tooooothy!!!
WestAustinAg
AG
quote:
I enjoy the free subscription in a new car, but when it's up, I just use Pandora. It's free.

Pandora uses cell phone data...
WestAustinAg
AG
I listen to12 different stations. Some are repetitive and some play new interesting tracks. Some stations are created for a few weeks around a theme then go away. Then there are all major college football games (190-201) and ESPN and national and international news stations.
I can't handle the sound quality

And don't spend much time in a car

of course I'm still a customer
DustysLineup
AG
Totally depends how much time you spend in the car. Not worth it to me now with short drives, especially after they cancelled a couple of my favorite stations.
lakehighlandsag
AG
Totally worth it for me. I drive 30k miles a year in my outside sales job. Could not get by without Stern, Alt Nation, college sports, etc. worth every penny.
Garrelli 5000
AG
We had it in my wife's car for several years but finally cancelled. We realized that we listen to cd/mp3 for most of our music, and the Ticket for sports, ESPN if we want more sports and less guy talk than the ticket.

It's great if you don't like your local radio, but we spent more time outside of sirius/xm then an it so it just wasn't worth the cost.

Neither of us drive long distances for work.
Aust Ag
AG
I have it solely for Stern. Deep Tracks is interesting sometimes, depending on the DJ. Some of them just want to play stuff from the early 70s, which is a bit too early for me. Did hear Bonzo's Montreax the other day though....never heard that on the radio before. Son was in car with me, had to deal with the Master with volume set to 11, windows rattling.
aggiebonzo
AG
Late 60's early 70's was the best rock
mhayden
I think the head unit you have in your car also plays a role. I know a lot of the cars that came with it pre-installed have/had a very standard radio head unit that is fine for regular radio but can be very cumbersome for browsing satellite radio content.

If you're having to turn a dial then wait to see what a tiny readout says in regards to what channel you are on, what the artist is, what the song is, etc... then you are more likely to just leave it one or two stations that you know and will likely not see the value in it because you hear a lot of the same stuff (because you're sitting on a station that plays one genre).

If you have a good head unit with a large display and steering wheel controls you can easily browse through all of the channels to find what you want. With a button on my steering wheel I can quickly browse through Springsteen/60s/70s/80s/90s/HairNation/DeepTracks/etc/etc... and I'll find a "oooh I haven't heard this song in a while" track very quickly. Also gives alerts when my favorite band (or song) is playing on any station, also has a pop-up alert when the Aggie or Rangers game starts, has a scoring play, etc...

With Sirius, a good head unit and paying < $10 a month there is simply not a product out there that compares.
62strat
AG
Yeh he new fords have a nice big 10" screen and Sirius works eonderfully on it. Plus you have 3 banks of 6 favorites. Can do one bank for your regulars, one bank for finding new stuff, one for talk/sports/comedy, etc.
Ferg
I've been toying with going back to it. Right now they have a free preview through Dec 2. I think its mainly music, but they have college sports nation(channel 84) included which I really like. I keep hearing the sound quality isn't as good, and it isn't quite a full as FM, but they also have a lot of news stations like Fox and CNBC. If I do go back to it. I will probably pay the extra $5 a month to get Internet also, so I can listen while out walking or over the Roku. More in total, but I think there is a bit more value if you have both. .
62strat
AG
I got the free preview advert in the mail and it said deal of $20 for 5 months. That's pretty damn cheap.
SemperGigEm
AG
If you can get it cheap, might be worth it. A lot depends on what you're looking for... My two cents:

Pros:
Quite a few channels, pretty easy to find the genre you're looking for.
Fairly inexpensive.
Minimal interruptions to music.
Quite a bit of non-music - sports, talk, news, comedy, etc.

Cons:
Sound quality is pretty terrible. I'm no audiophile, but the low bitrate is remarkably irritating to me.
Remarkably repetitive. You'll hear the same songs and bands again and again...
If you cancel, customer service will never stop calling you.

If you go with it, even when your promotional rate expires, try to cancel. They'll give you another promotional rate that just happens to be going on.
LegettHall
JCRiley09,

It is any of your business that I still burn CDs because? Why?

Because you know are know nada about me or my situation. Right? Or you are psychic?

BMX Bandit
someone is a little sensitive on the CD issue.

It okay. I just learned about over the air HD TV recently.
JCRiley09
AG
quote:
JCRiley09,

It is any of your business that I still burn CDs because? Why?

Because you know are know nada about me or my situation. Right? Or you are psychic?

FtBendTxAg
AG
When I had a job traveling to galveston from houston almost every day, it was absolutely worth it. When my round trip became 8 miles, I had no use for it and cancelled it and used spotify for the 5 minutes I was in my car each way.
DustysLineup
AG
BTW, not sure if it's still going on or for how long, but I found I had the free sample Thursday night during my drive.
If you have the equipment but don't subscribe, scroll past the preview to see if you've got free music.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.