Sirius XM worth the money?

7,081 Views | 52 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Jugstore Cowboy
Philo B 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I've bought a few new (used) cars over the last few years. Each time I get a few months free trial of SiriusXM. I really enjoy the stations and the variety of music and talk. But I have a goal of eliminating all of the little $8-20 monthly charges that eat away cash flow. Gym memberships, cable, satellite radio, Spotify, Apple Music, etc. They add up. I have about 12,000 of my favorite songs in iTunes with the top 20% on my iphone at all times, so I don't hear a lot on SiriusXM that I don't already have, but the stations (playlists) are nicely organized, and I don't have the talk stations. Also, my jazz, blues, and classical music is lacking.

Is SiriusXM worth the cost? Is there a free alternative like Pandora that I could use? I do listen to a fair amount of am/fm radio because sometimes I get tired of hearing the same 12,000 songs over and over.
mhayden
There was a long thread about it a few months ago.

You can get them down to the $5-$7/month range, and in my opinion that is well worth it for the content.
Duncan Idaho
If you spend a lot of time in the car traveling between towns, it is worth it because you can just put it on one station and never have to worry about finding a new station or dead spots

If you spend a lot of time driving around one particular town, it isn't worth it.
DG-Ag
AG
IMO, if you live in Austin (as I do) it's a necessity so that you don't have to listen to the horrid local sports talk.
JCRiley09
AG
I find the content of SiriusXM awesome. Commercial free music and a full spectrum of political and entertainment talk. I have the internet access package and get virtually any show from the past week on demand which is great for road trips and exercising. I pay about $20/month and find it worth the price.
Sex Panther
AG
I love it
Mathguy64
AG
I have always gotten it for a year free with a new car and then pay about$8/month afterwards. I listen to not just music (and there are more genres than you can possibly care about and I also have my music on my phone) but I can catch news in the evenings and more importantly catch Aggie FB or BB games with Dave South himself. Pretty much every home football game for every D1/FBS team is on every weekend with the home radio team and for bigger teams you will have a channel for the away radio guys. Not every BB game is on but bigger ones (D1) using the home radio guys usually are. The Ags v sip game next Wed is Ch81 with Dave. You get home and away radio NFL and NBA. NASCAR, NHL, you name it and its on.

Its well worth the $8/month. I rarely even turn on a local channel nowadays.
Rick Dalton
AG
What is this local radio you speak of?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Yeah, for $5 a month it is worth it.
permabull
AG
Quailmeezy
AG
I love it as I drive from Houston to Dallas and back quite a bit. The introductory offer is usually pretty cheap but then they try and stick it to you the next year by raising the prices to something ridiculous.

I just put a reminder in my phone about when the promo period ends and then call them to tell them that I enjoy the service, but am cancelling because the bill is too high. At that point they just offer to renew my promo price and I accept. Been doing this for about 3 years now and have never had a problem.

As others have said, it is worth it IMO, but not when they try and make it really expensive.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I use it during football season when I listen to a lot of sports talk radio.
WestAustinAg
AG
I drive an hour each way. I love it so i dont have to listen to local sports here in austin.

I pay $5 a month. only allowed to have 6 month contracts. so i re-up and require the same $5 a month package.

they can be tricky when you call them to re-up. once i had a cs person say ok i'll give you the $5 a month special but they really then just charged the full amount. i found out months later and had the credited back and got a few months free.
Kashchei
AG
I've actually thought about purchasing a subscription since they announced a new Tom Petty channel.
agmatt06
AG
6 months for like 29.99 + royalty fees is definitely worth it.

Get on that package and then just set a reminder every 6 months to call and cancel/get deal renewed.
MooreTrucker
AG
I mainly drive around one town but I love the variety and the national sports talk. My wife travels a lot on business and drives 2-4 hours each way depending on the destination. To her especially, it's worth whatever they want for it.
bigboykin
AG
quote:
6 months for like 29.99 + royalty fees is definitely worth it.

Get on that package and then just set a reminder every 6 months to call and cancel/get deal renewed.
This. I actually tried cancelling after a while, but ~$5/mo. was really a no-brainer. I ended up keeping the service going for nearly 8 years this way until my car got totaled last year. I miss it (especially for sports talk) and will probably get it when I get a long-term replacement vehicle.
aggiebonzo
AG
Classic Vinyl is the only station I need from Sirius!
BMX Bandit
Absolutely.

Well worth the cost
TwoTimeAg
AG
I have a radio with a lifetime subscription from several years ago...paid for itself multiple times already.
Redstone
AG
I've heard a decent amount of it, including both at service introduction and immediately after the merger with XM.
schmendeler
AG
When I had it for like three months I was actually kind of disappointed how many song repeats I heard on various channels. It was like they had certain playlist that they'd bought or set up for that month and it would repeat every 6-12 hours. The actual quality of the audio and reliability of the service itself were great, however.
schmendeler
AG
62strat
AG
I enjoy the free subscription in a new car, but when it's up, I just use Pandora. It's free.
Vernada
AG
I got a new truck recently and considered keeping it. If I drove more I probably would. However, I found that with podcasts from my phone (hooked into the truck audio) I could get most everything I needed from a talk and news perspective.
LegettHall
quote:

Is SiriusXM worth the cost? Is there a free alternative like Pandora that I could use? I do listen to a fair amount of am/fm radio because sometimes I get tired of hearing the same 12,000 songs over and over.
Not to me. Like any station, they repeat.

The one redeeming factor (besides no commercials) is that ever so often, one will hear a song not heard in ages, like Ain't No Fun (Waiting 'Round to Be A Millionaire), one almost forgotten. They will also play long songs like Free Bird, which a commercial radio station rarely will do since it might (oh my God!!!) interfere with a dozen commercials.

But they do tend to repeat songs like FM does, imho.

It sure beats regular FM but it doesn't beat a CD one can custom burn. Not to me.
JCRiley09
AG
quote:
quote:

The one redeeming factor (besides no commercials) is that ever so often, one will hear a song not heard in ages, like Ain't No Fun (Waiting 'Round to Be A Millionaire), one almost forgotten. They will also play long songs like Free Bird, which a commercial radio station rarely will do since it might (oh my God!!!) interfere with a dozen commercials.

It sure beats regular FM but it doesn't beat a CD one can custom burn. Not to me.

Burned CDs?!? What is this, 2001?

Jkjk
Hey Nav
AG
I'm really enjoying it lately. There's always something to listen to that fits my mood.

My favorite this season has been Tom Petty's Buried Treasures on channel 312. He's been playing music he listens to - I think it's about 8 or 9 seasons of content. Lots of vintage rock&roll and rhythm&blues.
jrod2181
Worth it for me for Howard Stern , Pearl Jam Radio and Sports Radio
Duncan Idaho
quote:
quote:

Did Redstone get a new sock?
DG-Ag
AG
One drawback - commercials on the sports channels can be pretty annoying unless you're in the market for a new CPAP machine or need instant financing for your small business.
RDV-1992
I have it. I like it. I will cancel and get the lower price (didn't know you could do that).

My gripe is that I'd like to listen to it on my phone or on the internet. I called in to get that, but its an additional cost to get it that way. I think that it should be like cable - pay for it & have multiple ways to get the content.
Presley OBannons Sword
I got rid of it after they canned Anthony Cumia, and they wont be getting another dollar from me
Whos Juan
AG
quote:
I got rid of it after they canned Anthony Cumia, and they wont be getting another dollar from me
Yea! You sure showed them!

If you can get it for $8-$10/month it's worth it, in my opinion. I typically only listen to a few stations, but there's pretty much something for everyone. Plus it helps with road trips and not having to find terrestrial stations.
yemtig
AG
I paid somewhere around 350.00 like 7 years ago on a lifetime membership to sirius/xm and love it... But I don't pay for it every month. I love the grateful dead, jam on, classic vinyl channels but its not for everyone.. I love having it for family camping..
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.