Elliott Smith Dead

2,278 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 7 yr ago by 62strat
Jim01
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
At the age of 34 of an apparent suicide

Singer/Songwriter who grew up near Dallas. Biggest break was being nominated for an Academy Award for his song "Miss Misery" from Good Will Hunting.

Amazing artist, tortured soul...

sad sad day...

jim
BigAg95
AG
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1479869/10222003/smith_elliott.jhtml?headlines=true

Sad day, I liked his music.

Apparently, he stabbed himself. Don't see that too often.
lubbagg
He was a great musician, --
thats very sad
jcrosier03
AG
Elliot Smith was a damn good singer/songwriter...what a freaking waste...I hate to see crap like this happen.
MW03
AG
Bump for one of my favorite artists who I happen to consider one of the most underrated singer songwriters of all time.

Some of my favorites from Elliott Smith:

TxAgg07
AG
Gotta say that's the first time I've seen someone bump a 13 year old thread.
Professor Frick
AG
Elliot Smith
Flashdiaz
AG
died by a single self inflicted knife wound... doesn't get more emo than that.
Professor Frick
AG
I'm sure you other Elliott Smith fans have probably seen this before, but if not, this was a pilot(?) for The Jon Brion Show. Of course producer extraordinaire Brion produced some Elliott's albums. This is the whole show, and it's rough and awkward at times but the music is amazing.

Smith comes out around 3 minutes, and at 7 minutes you've got Brion on harmonium, freakin' Brad Mehldau (one of the best jazz pianists alive) on piano, and Smith singing Independence Day.

I think Elliott Smith was easily one of the best songwriters of the past 30 years. His songs are so harmonically complex and inventive, but he still always kept this very lovely pop melody over it all. He's a little bit Lennon, a little bit McCartney, but really unlike anyone else. There are other singers who have died young and I think their legacy or talent has been somewhat mythologized and overstated by the tragedy, but if anything Elliott Smith remains under appreciated.

Anyway, this is a great watch, an incredible songwriter playing with some incredible musicians:

62strat
AG
Got into him around 05 or 06.. don't even remember where I first heard him, but picked up XO and it's one of my favorites (especially waltz 2). Never got into any of his other stuff though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.