Master of None

11,085 Views | 84 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Complete Idiot
COOL LASER FALCON
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Good show from Aziz Ansari. Definitely reminded me of Louie in that it's just kind of the points from his standup in narrative form.

I like Aziz, but haven't really enjoyed his last couple of specials. I thought it worked a lot better in this format. MoN isn't just hysterically funny, but I thought it had a lot of heart, touched on some interesting perspectives and had plenty of funny moments.
TexasAggies06
AG
Only one episode in so far, but this show is already great.
Tobias Funke
AG
I thought the season was great
Duncan Idaho
His modern romance book is a pretty good read for such a dry subject
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
Guess I'll say it. The acting is terrible in some of the episodes.

All in all, enjoyable show. Louie Light.
Hudson2508
AG
Loving it so far. Thought the Parents episode intro was brilliant. Definitely remknds me of Louie in a good way. Great music and great subject matter.
COOL LASER FALCON
Definitely should have mentioned the music in the OP. One of the best parts.

And for some reason, Aziz's dad really worked for me even though he's obviously a bad actor. I just thought he was great. I think it's common knowledge, but those are his real parents.

Professor Frick
AG
quote:
Guess I'll say it. The acting is terrible in some of the episodes.

All in all, enjoyable show. Louie Light.

This summed up my feelings exactly.
TCTTS
AG
Ha, even after reading this thread, I was not expecting the acting to be as bad as it was. Holy crap, that episode with the Asian and Indian parents was almost unbearable (and yes, I'm aware those are Aziz's real parents). Those flashbacks were so random and horribly paced, too. That said, it's still a fairly enjoyable show. Not nearly as good as the reviews have made it out to be, but I find myself laughing at least a couple times each episode. Halfway through and so far my favorite two episodes are the Father John Misty concert and the Indian stereotype audition / racist email. Looking forward to knocking out the second half of the season soon.
FtBendTxAg
AG
When the little girl was blurting out the ethnicities of the people in the FROYO shop I lost my ****
COOL LASER FALCON
I thought the second half was better than the first. Ended very strong.
hurleyag
AG
I watched the first episode and didn't like it. I don't think Aziz is good enough to carry a show, but after reading that it gets better I'll give a few more episodes a watch.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I really like the Nashville episode

I want to squeeze Noel Wells. She's a Texan. And a former SNL featured player if some of you can't place her.
Max Power
AG
It's okay, that's about it. Agree with the Louie light comparison, some smart things in there, but not quite on that level. Eric from Tim and Eric is awesome in the show. The acting isn't the strongest, but it is the first season. Sucks to see Harris Wittels is the writer of some of the episodes knowing the episode will probably be solid, but that he died.

My biggest disappointment is that it isn't Parks & Rec given the people are involved.

If Jean Ralphio were show up though it'd be a game changer.

TCTTS
AG
Finished the season tonight. Second half of the season is nails, especially the final three episodes. Went to some places emotionally I didn't quite expect, and did so in poignant fashion. Laughed a whole more in the second half as well. After such a rocky start, I'm can genuinely say I'm really looking forward to season two.
Bunk Moreland
watched the season over the last few days.

Really glad I kept watching through, because the first handful of eps were bad. They had chuckles in them, but they were just bad.

The show came into its own much better on the 2nd half. Rachel carried the show. Her more permanent addition brought some stability to the final eps, and allowed for more screen time for a believable character and decent acing, which helped the flow.

It's ok overall. Nothing special, but the last handful of eps were solid. I'll tune in for season 2.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Agree with OP, feels very much like Louie. Got 2 episodes left.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
As a first generation "ethnic", the "Parents" episode was easily my favorite, acting issues and all. Pretty on point. It also had the best intro. When they started the opening credits and the horns from "T.R.O.Y." started playing, I damn near teared up.
TajMaballer
AG
The Parents episode hit so damn close to home for me as well. Watching the cafeteria scene made me feel so bad for my parents. The acting in the entire series took a backseat to writing and themes (kinda like some of the acting in The Wire)
Bunk Moreland
honestly, the acting of his parents didn't bother me at all. Those moments were great. And the social aspects the show tackles are good as well.

The show's quality overall, however, just wasn't very good. But it got a LOT better when Rachel came back around. It allowed for more "story" and less randomness with bad acting, bad writing, and poor pacing from the scenes with Aziz and his friends.

They're growing. As i said, I enjoyed it definitely enough to give season 2 a shot.
Silky Johnston
I really liked this show. The terrible acting from the parents wasn't a problem for me. I guess it was because I knew they weren't actors so it made them feel authentic. However, the people that are actors and sucked at it, really did bother me. The Asian friend and the black lesbo were atrocious and I cringed every time they had something to say.
TCTTS
AG

quote:
However, the people that are actors and sucked at it, really did bother me. The Asian friend and the black lesbo were atrocious and I cringed every time they had something to say.

This. Was totally fine with the parents. It was most of the friends who were terrible.
Duncan Idaho
I've only seen the first 2 episodes, but I love the parents episode.

Spot the **** on.
Trident 88
AG
Knowing they were his parents (and that his dad told Aziz afterward to line up some roles for him in commercials) made the bad acting one of the most enjoyable things about this show for me. His dad is a ham!

If you like Aziz, you'll like this show. If not, don't bother watching.
redd38
AG
The dad is awesome.
Tobias Funke
AG
WHATS UP MAN?
Trident 88
AG
The Other Man episode with Claire Danes. Outstanding.

More importantly, who is the tall, black actor? How have I not seen him before? With that voice, he should record books on tape for a living.

"Take the pushing wand, and initiate the sequence."
Professor Frick
AG
His name really is Colin Salmon, apparently he's been a lot of stuff, including Arrow, and all the bad Brosnan Bond movies
RebAg13
PatAg
AG
The decisions made at the end of the season finale...I'll never understand people who can do that.
boy09
AG
I'm only 3 episodes in, but i'm really enjoying it so far. If yall are saying the second half of the season is way better than the first, I can't wait to get caught up.

My favorite/cringiest part so far was the terrible date with the hot girl, specifically her Cartman impression.
Jim01
AG
Agree with pretty much everyone else.

- Rachel was the heart and soul of the show and carried it acting wise.
- Really picked up the second half.
- I loved the fig tree voice over. It really hit home. I'm 37 with a wife and three kids. My wife and I just got back from a vacation with two other couples (adults only) where we rented a house on the north shore of Oahu. The idea of moving being young and just being able to move there, the different paths of live, etc. really hit home. I love my life but I think everyone wonders about the other figs on the tree.
- I liked that he went to Italy. Sad because lessens the odds of Rachel returning to the show, but I liked the decision. Also if he really spent an episode ending with a random trip to Asia it really would have been Louis Light!

Duncan Idaho
The episode with the cartman impression girls at the concert was a 20 min tldr of his book.

His book by the way is actually a pretty good read for dating in the modern day.
Duncan Idaho
Seriously he must have write this while he was writing modern romance. The old people episode was pretty much lifted from it as well.
double aught
AG
The funniest moment of the season was the response to Dev reminding Clare Danes' husband that he cut in front of him at the ice cream shop:

"So you f***ed my wife?!?"

I literally couldn't stop laughing and had tears running down my face for a few minutes. Had to pause the show.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.