Does The Sopranos still hold up today?

9,205 Views | 83 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BurnetAggie99
ccaggie05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was browsing the shows on HBO Go this morning and seeing The Sopranos listed reminded me that this show has long been on my to watch list.

I'm curious how well this show holds up now that it's been over 15 years since it's premiere. Still worth the commitment to watching it? I know the ending is controversial, but that doesn't really bother me.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It may not be the greatest show of all time anymore, but I think it would still be good.
Red Krow
I did not watch it back when it was on originally. I tried watching it about a year ago and got about half way through the first season and stopped watching. Got busy had other things to do but never felt the urge to pick it back up. After shows like Breaking bad and sons of anarchy it just didn't seem to be edgy like I think it was back when it first came out. I still would like to watch it someday but it's down on the list.
62strat
AG
We've been binge watching it the last mont or two on Amazon prime. On season 5. It's good. I would say at this point in the show it's pretty edgey.
Duncan Idaho
Comparing to this show to SOA is insane.
Bruce Almighty
AG
It's not like this show is from the 1950s. Never understood the "it doesn't hold up" arguement
Al Bula
AG
Sons of Anarchy was just OK and downright terrible at the end.
That show was fodder for morons.
PatAg
AG
SoA was enjoyable for what it was, mainly through the first 3 seasons.

The Sopranos was just the first like it really, so it may not click with a new watcher if you didn't catch it when it was running live. I still think it would go in your top 10 shows though.
Duncan Idaho
quote:
It's not like this show is from the 1950s. Never understood the "it doesn't hold up" arguement

Agree with this. It isn't like it leaned on special effects or time specific cultural references.
et98
AG
I watched the entire series of The Sopranos for the first time in 2014, and it held up perfectly.

For the record, I'd rank it #2 or #3 of all shows ever created in that Crime Drama with a Connected Story Line genre with Breaking Bad as #1 and The Sopranos & The Wire as #2 & #3 in some order.

Sons of Anarchy is probably ranked down in the 20's somewhere and probably should have never been mentioned in this thread.
SeattleAgJr
quote:
I watched the entire series of The Sopranos for the first time in 2014, and it held up perfectly.

For the record, I'd rank it #2 or #3 of all shows ever created in that Crime Drama with a Connected Story Line genre with Breaking Bad as #1 and The Sopranos & The Wire as #2 & #3 in some order.

Sons of Anarchy is probably ranked down in the 20's somewhere and probably should have never been mentioned in this thread.
I noticed you somehow left The Shield off your little list there.

It would be unfortunate is something happened to you due to that oversight.
PatAg
AG
Shield is definitely up there for me.
Stive
AG
quote:
I did not watch it back when it was on originally. I tried watching it about a year ago and got about half way through the first season and stopped watching. Got busy had other things to do but never felt the urge to pick it back up. After shows like Breaking bad and sons of anarchy it just didn't seem to be edgy like I think it was back when it first came out. I still would like to watch it someday but it's down on the list.

Sopranos was never meant to be "edgy". If that's what you're trying/hoping to get out of it then yes it's going to disappoint.

If you're watching it as a 90's crime drama, it's still going to hold up.
Tanya 93
Livia Soprano might be the most evil character ever on tv.
Kashchei
AG
Started watching it a few weeks ago and am thoroughly enjoying it. I would say it definitely holds up.
salvatore_ditmars
quote:
quote:

the shield is a really fun show. it only has about 25 filler episodes out of its 80 episode run. it doesnt belong on any lists with breaking bad, wire, etc. it is a solid step below all of those shows.

SOA was complete fanboy garbage.
91_Aggie
AG
I watched it for the first time a year ago. Just have to remember when it was made because in one episode they get very excited about stealing a truckload of DVD players.

Definitely worth watching.
mhayden
quote:
quote:
quote:

the shield is a really fun show. it only has about 25 filler episodes out of its 80 episode run. it doesnt belong on any lists with breaking bad, wire, etc. it is a solid step below all of those shows.

SOA was complete fanboy garbage.

Sopranos had at least as many filler episodes as The Shield, with the latter having far better "baddies of the season".

Sopranos was great, probably the best of it's time, but it doesn't hit as hard as it likely did when it was the only cable drama to do what it was doing.
TXAGFAN
AG
quote:
I watched it for the first time a year ago. Just have to remember when it was made because in one episode they get very excited about stealing a truckload of DVD players.

Definitely worth watching.
i watched first season a year or so back and they were using AOL Internet.
62strat
AG
Yeh they show the aol disk in the junk mail pile.

And tony complains to the family that he gives them everything; big screen tvs, etc.
They have a few 32" Sony trinitrons!

Definitely some things that date it to a very specific time period.
Bruce Almighty
AG
People complained about The Wire because of flip top cell phones. 15 years from now, people will complain about smart phones on Breaking Bad.
Jugstore Cowboy
AG
I think if there's anything really period-specific to the Sopranos, it's that it shows the mob in decline after a period of major crackdowns. The "old world honor" mythology that permeates older mafia stories is pretty much out the window.

Part of the "edginess" was showing these guys as regular suburban dads and greeseballs running insurance scams, etc. Tony's consigliere isn't Tom Hagen, it's freaking Sylvio. There was nothing glamorous about the lives trapped in.
mhayden
quote:
I think if there's anything really period-specific to the Sopranos, it's that it shows the mob in decline after a period of major crackdowns. The "old world honor" mythology that permeates older mafia stories is pretty much out the window.

Part of the "edginess" was showing these guys as regular suburban dads and greeseballs running insurance scams, etc. Tony's consigliere isn't Tom Hagen, it's freaking Sylvio. There was nothing glamorous about the lives trapped in.

My biggest complaint with The Sopranos was that the "bad mafia" guys it introduced every season didn't really differentiate themselves from one another. Season 1 had Junior as Tony's biggest foe. Season 2 swapped in Richie Aprile. Season 3 swapped in Ralph. Season 4 swapped in Johnny Sack. Season 5 swapped in Phil Leotardo.

Now, I imagine a lot of these guys are pretty interchangeable in real mafioso life as well, but I didn't feel like The Sopranos did a very good job of fleshing any of them out very much. "Oh, this is who we hate this season?" is what I felt much of the time.
LHIOB
AG
quote:

Yeah...I buried him on a hill...
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:

Tony does not hold a candle to his mom. His stuff had reasons. Hers did not, especially towards her kids.
LHIOB
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

Tony does not hold a candle to his mom. His stuff had reasons. Hers did not, especially towards her kids.

I was just quoting my favorite line to her. Its what deserved for being such a C
Budrickson03
AG
Tony said that to Janice, not Livia.
Stive
AG
quote:
Tony said that to Janice, not Livia.

All afternoon I was trying to remember who Tony was referring to when he said "that" to Livia. But you're right....he said that to someone else.

Nice catch.
Tanya 93
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

I was just quoting my favorite line to her. Its what deserved for being such a C

Um

He didn't say that to Livia.
schmendeler
AG
It doesn't hold up as a "best show ever" which was the hype when it was on. It was solidly good but that's about all I'll give it.
mhayden
quote:
It doesn't hold up as a "best show ever" which was the hype when it was on. It was solidly good but that's about all I'll give it.

I'd still give it Top 10 ever... But after watching it once I have little desire to go through it again, whereas I regularly watch Breaking Bad, The Shield, The Wire and (probably not on many people's lists but made it into mine), Justified.
ac04
it's a great show. if you haven't ever watched it, correct that now.
PatAg
AG
Justified for me too. Your list is similar to mine.
PatAg
AG
I feel one that gets left off a lot of lists, is The West Wing.
salvatore_ditmars
i think WW suffers slightly from being a network show, and moreso from the fact that Sorkin has proven to be a one trick pony.
newsroom and studio 60 both SHOULD have been hits based on the subject matter and actors involved, but were terrible because of sorkin.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.