Les Paul vs Stratocaster

7,702 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Joe Exotic
Philo B 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Which one do you like? Which one is better?

So many great rockers played the Strat that I have a hard time defending the Les Paul. Buddy Holly, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, and Clapton off the top of my head. Hendrix and Clapton alone should end the discussion.

However.....

I'll take a Les Paul any day over a strat. The power of the humbucker just kicks the single coils' ass IMO. And you don't have to beat up on a Les Paul to make it rock. Who agrees with me? How about Slash, Jimmy Page, Joe Perry, Zakk Wylde, and almost everyone who's played with the Allman Brothers for starters.

So, for reasons unexplainable, the correct answer is Les Paul. But I'll give you that music is subjective, so some may disagree.

CenterHillAg
AG
I grew up watching my Grandpa playing his '54 Les Paul Jr and Les Paul Classic, so I choose Les Paul on sentimental value alone. The man never learned how to read sheet music, but could listen to less than a verse of any song and jump right in with the music, sounding like he'd been playing it for years.

There's an insane amount of musical talent in my family and I regret that I've never pursued it more, but I still appreciate a great instrument/piece of art.
phatbc
Have always liked humbuckers so LP for sure. In the fender line definitely more of a tele fan.
62strat
AG
I've been a strat guy for a while. But one day I'll get a nice LP.

I can play anything with my strat though. I've been in cover bands for a decade playing anything from Doobie brothers to Elton John to pearl jam to pantera. And with my fender cyber twin amp, I can get the sound I want.

My pride and joy, and actually my only strat, is a vintage 62 strat. Reissue, not an actual 62.
I have a homemade strat as well, and it plays great. It was my work horse for 5 years before I get the real strat.
Commander Gorn
AG
Les Paul
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
I have one of each. The Strat is a '82 Japanese Strat and the Les Paul is a 2014 Les Paul Classic. I just bought the Les Paul a few months ago because I always said I would have a Les Paul.

That being said, they both have their advantages. I think the Strat fits better in my hand and is easier to play. Maybe I just haven't gotten used to the Les Paul yet but it still feels a little awkward. It fits my fret hand great but the pick hand just seems weird, maybe it is the shape, knobs, etc.

As far as sound goes, it really depends. The Strat sounds better with the bluesy sound. A strat through a tube amp is unbeatable. But, the humbuckers are sweet, too. I guess it just depends on what sound you are looking for.

I am going to say Les Paul right now because my Fender is beat to hell and I need to get some work done on it.

I'm not sure that there is a right answer.
VanZandt92
Dicky Betts plays a Les Paul.

Edit, I see somebody mentioned Allman Bros.
VanZandt92
I have both, but I have three little kids and they sit in a closet. Damn.
Fuzzy Dunlop
AG
quote:
I have both, but I have three little kids and they sit in a closet. Damn.

I have two little kids (5 and 7) and they know not to touch them if they want to live.

Mine are hanging in my mancave with my acoustic.
VanZandt92
I let my kids play my guitars if they're with me. Hell, it ain't like I'm playing em.
PLUM LOCO
AG
Like them both, each have a unique sound/tone.

My playing preference is a Strat.

Our my Schecter Classic.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
Les Paul. I've had Gibson but my two currently are Warmoth copies. Love the humbuckers, the weight, the shape, pretty much everything.

Macarthur

EOT!
SeattleAgJr
quote:
http://theguitarbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Jimmy-Page.jpg

EOT!

Correct answer is LP!
Trident 88
AG
I bought a Les Paul for one son and a Telecaster for the other.
62strat
AG
quote:
http://theguitarbuzz.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/01/Jimmy-Page.jpg

EOT!

Philo B 93
I used to own a nice Strat, but when I palm mute, my pinky knuckle hit right on the volume button. It just wasn't comfortable. I traded it in for a Telecaster that I used for a while, but I never really connected with the Tele. I've been in bands for several years, and I've been happy to play with a cheap Schector or PRS SE (Korean) or other various cheap guitars that sound decent. I recently bought a Gibson Les Paul and played it for three hours one night a practice. That monster is heavy! I've played one gig since then, and I used the semi-hollow PRS. Most people can't tell the difference between a top of the line Les Paul and a $350 PRS live. But the Les Paul is the best guitar I've ever owned. When I get the call from Axl or Sammy or Sebastian to join the band, I'll leave everything else at home and bring the LP. If George Strait calls, I guess I still have the Tele. I love guitars!
MSFC Aggie
AG
I've had both....but the Strat just always "felt" better to me.
fastsloth
That's kind of like asking whether blondes or brunettes are prettier. I find my Les Paul easier to play, with an awesome, full tone. That said, I love the single coil tonal bite of my strat and the way I can choose five different tones depending on where I put the pickup selector switch, and I feel it is more rugged than the Paul. Switching between the two guitars helps keep playing fresh and creates new ideas, at least for me. So, you must have at least one of each!
Macarthur
Yep.

As I'm sure you know, JP used a tele quite often. However, we all know what guitar he is most identifiable with.
aggiebonzo
AG
Les Paul

FYI- Clapton played a les paul for most of his days with Cream, Blind Faith, and the Dominos which in my opinion was his best playing. Didn't start playing strat until after. And before anyone mentions it. Yes I know he also played a SG and Es-335 in the same period.
True Anomaly
AG
LP, but I don't have either one. I did learn on a Mexi Strat though.

I have been fortunate enough to see Les Paul play a Les Paul...twice
62strat
AG
Man this thread is really gonna mess up my searches.
Know Your Enemy
AG
I know Page used all kinds of guitars on Zeppelin recordings but those Strat pics are obviously post-Zep. He is most identified with the Les Paul.
aggiebonzo
AG
Jimmy played a strat on a couple of Zeppelins final albums.
aggiebonzo
AG
The telecaster was played on the first two Zep albums. I believe he bought his les Paul from Joe Walsh between LZ II & III
Know Your Enemy
AG
I am referring to live Zeppelin performances. He used the Danelectro a bit and the double neck SG, but I don't know of any instances of him using a Strat onstage with Zep. I could be wrong, I guess.
62strat
AG

There are plenty where he looks to be the age/era of Zeppelin, but without plant in the pic also, I don't know for sure.
Just google his name with strat after it. Lots of old looking pics with a strat.
62strat
AG
Not arguing that he is identified with LP. Just showing that even the guitar gods with the strongest associations still strayed now and again. Even slash has some fender use.

Quincey P. Morris
AG
I think Page was beholden to a sound rather than a style of guitar. And unless I'm remembering wrong the guitar tracks on Zeppelin albums were insanely layered.
Know Your Enemy
AG
Ha ha. I knew as soon as I posted it that someone would dig up photos like that. As big a Zep freak as I am I still see pics like this all the time that I don't remember seeing.
agchino
AG
I have a strat with a humbucker, best of both worlds...
aggiebonzo
AG
I have the same one. It's the "Texas strat" model
Madman
AG
Metal = Les Paul and its 24.75" scale variants with humbuckers. Other than Iron Maiden all metal is pretty much Les Paulish. The 7-8 strings are changing this but in general it's a LP world

Rock = Strat and its 25.5" scale variants. Lots of rock players do have an LP but most of the big guys are or were using something Strat like. EVH guitars are basically strats with a humbucker for example. Knopfler, Floyd, SRV, ETC.
62strat
AG
I'd say LP is more in hard rock or classic rock, but not metal.

When I think of modern metal, I think of ESP, PRS (mostly driven by Opeth), Jackson, B.C. Rich, Ibanez, Dean, or Gibson flying V. But not LP.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.