Iron Maiden fans?

4,329 Views | 36 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by brents1975
LegettHall
How long do you want to ignore this user?
New album is gonna be 92 minutes long?

An 18 minute song. And a 13 minute song. And a 10 minute song.

I predict another bust.
AgNav93
AG
I prefer to remember them as they were.
KidDoc
AG
I'm a lifelong fan and love their newer stuff (last 15 years)at least as much as their 80s and 90s stuff. I cannot wait for the new one!

If you haven't given Final Frontier and A Matter of Life and Death a few listen tthroughs you are really missing out on some amazingly complex and enjoyable hard rock.

Plus they are still amazing live.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LegettHall
quote:
I prefer to remember them as they were.
I prefer to remember the albums Brave New World, Dance of Death, and A Matter of Life and Death, imho their absolute best Some of their old stuff is fine, but to me it's stale.

Live in Rio is a great live album.

Know Your Enemy
AG
I'm all for it if it means a new tour.
tallgrant
Yes, been too long since I've seen them.
AgNav93
AG
I thought Bruce Dickinson had cancer? I guess he's doing good.
KidDoc
AG
quote:
I thought Bruce Dickinson had cancer? I guess he's doing good.
Yeah he has been cleared from throat cancer.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
LegettHall
quote:
I'm a lifelong fan and love their newer stuff (last 15 years)at least as much as their 80s and 90s stuff. I cannot wait for the new one!

If you haven't given Final Frontier and A Matter of Life and Death a few listen throughs you are really missing out on some amazingly complex and enjoyable hard rock.

Plus they are still amazing live.
A Matter of Life and Death (2006) is the best they've ever done, imho. A masterpiece. Steve Harris outdid himself.

We saw their first performance of their Final Frontier tour in Dallas and they played only one song off of that album. But they played new stuff off of A Matter of Life and Death--The Reincarnation of B. Breeg, These Colours Don't Run, A Thousand Thousand Suns, they played No More Lies, Dance of Death, Paschendale. Superb performance. The setlist was wonderful.

No "ballads" from those guys. No Nothing Else Matters or Unforgiven. Just peddle to the metal.

I like a couple of stuff off The Final Frontier but it isn't what the previous 3 are--not to me. When the Wind Blows is great, as is The Man Who Would Be King.

Saw them do that England concert too, where they played their older stuff. Not as good as the one mentioned above.

Dickinson is perhaps the finest frontman in metal today. If they come back to Dallas I'm going.

NoHo Hank
AG
Can't wait for the album. Got it marked on the calendar. I may be an outlier - I even like Virtual XI, demonstrating that my judgment is questionable at best. That said, I think Brave New World, Dance of Death, A Matter of Life and Death, and the Final Frontier are all terrific albums, so new stuff from Maiden is great news. Especially since I thought they were done with Bruce's throat cancer. Really glad to hear he has kicked its ass.

It sounds like this one is all-in on the epic, 12 minute ballads, which are usually my favorites. Seeing them go through the Sign of the Cross live was just amazing. I'm hoping I can see them live 2-3 times on this tour.
KidDoc
AG
Early review from some random website 8)

http://classicrock.teamrock.com/reviews/2015-08-11/iron-maiden-the-book-of-souls-review
brents1975
Best band ever! I love every album they've done. This new one is gonna as good as anything they've ever done. Hope to see them multiple times like I have previous tours. Gotta see them while you can.
TV Casualty
AG
If they are going to tour then I will definitely go when they come to Dallas.
IDaggie06
AG
I've got two tickets, come with me maybe?
brents1975
For me... I have to listen to a Maiden album a lot before I finally get it. The songs are just masterpieces. I always like them from the first listen... But they just get better the more you listen to them. And then out of nowhere a switch flips in my brain and I get it. No other band is like that for me. Love it
KidDoc
AG
First single/video today. It is pretty good very Final Frontier feel to it. The video is pretty awesome if you are a video gamer.

Youtube link, safe for work:

brents1975
As usual... The more I listen the more I like
NoHo Hank
AG
Album came out today! Listening to it now.

Up the irons
PLUM LOCO
AG
Just got my copy out of the mailbox...

ROCK & ROLL!
KidDoc
AG
It is trending more towards prog metal but I like it. I can see why they don't have to justify some of their epic songs to a label at this point they can do whatever they want.

I do feel like the rest of the world is finally catching on to what I have known for the last 30ish years-- Iron Maiden and Rush are just amazing! For some reason this year it feels like the rest of the world is starting to realize this fact. I was listening to the Siriusxm liquid metal today which has been all Iron Maiden all week and it is pretty awesome!
NoHo Hank
AG
After a few listenings, I really like it. In a lot of ways, it feels like a continuation of the Final Frontier. Songs that stand out to me are the Great Unknown, the Red and the Black, and Empire of the Clouds of course.

It's funny, but it doesn't feel like an 18 minute song. It breaks down into a few acts, and that really helps keep things fresh in that song, while retaining some unity.
KidDoc
AG
Yeah I agree. I am partial to If Eternity Should Fail and River Runs Deep though in addition to Red & Black & Empire.

Very Final Frontier sound IMO which I enjoy so no complaints.
LegettHall
quote:
If they are going to tour then I will definitely go when they come to Dallas.
So will I and it'll be my 5th. You go and leave exhausted. No finesse. No "easy." Metallica doesn't compare in terms of hammering an audience--and I like Metallica. Maiden is relentless.

A Matter of Life and Death (2006) is brilliant. Their best. The Reincarnation of Ben Breeg [the single greatest single in Iron Maiden history and a superb concert song], Brighter Than a Thousands Suns, These Colours Don't Run, The Longest Day, The Pilgrim--how not to love this album?

The album Brave New World, The Dance of Death A Matter of Life and Death [their finest]--that's the Maiden for me. I have tried but just don't care for The Final Frontier.

Book of Souls will take time. The Red and the Black and If Eternity Should Fail has the Harris-style "lope" [like The Reincarnation of Ben Breeg] I find so appealing.

LegettHall
quote:
For me... I have to listen to a Maiden album a lot before I finally get it. The songs are just masterpieces. I always like them from the first listen... But they just get better the more you listen to them. And then out of nowhere a switch flips in my brain and I get it. No other band is like that for me. Love it
I was the same way. Their latest songs (albums are complex, almost "layered." The single The Sign of the Cross was boring--at first. Now I consider it one of their greatest concert songs--wow, they slew it at Rio. I think people love or hate them--I'm of the former.

No More Lies, The Dance of Death, Paschendale, These Colours Don't Run, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, The Pilgrim, The Longest Day, The Reincarnation of BB, For the Greater Good of God--these are what impress me.

brents1975
Right now my top 5 of book of souls in no order:

The Book of Souls (going to be great live)
Empire of the Clouds
Shadows of the Valley
The Red and the Black
Speed of Light

But this changes daily. Great cd. And I agree better than final frontier. A matter of life and death is the best since Bruce and Adrian came back. But book of souls is right there.

Since 2000 here is how I'd rank the studio albums:

AMOLAD
Book of Souls
Brave New World
Dance of Death
Final Frontier

With that said... Love them all.
brents1975
As far as Sign of the Cross being boring... That has a lot to do with Blaze's singing. Great song but just lacks energy that Bruce and the live version provides. Lord of the Flies on Death on the Road is the same. Poor guy just doesn't even come close to Bruce... Heck nobody does in my book. I wish they'd release the X Factor and Virtual XI with Bruce on vocals. Would totally change them from good to great. He'll maybe they'll do that for the next history installment?! One can wish.
brents1975
Boooo... US dates announced for tour. No Texas dates...WTF?? There is a Tulsa date but no Texas??? I don't get it
KidDoc
AG
Yeah that is odd. I know a couple of years ago they hit about 3-4 dates before going to South America but they were all on the east coast. This year they hit west, central, and east coast but not many dates.
jrod2181
Just convinced the wife to make the 6 hour drive from Tallahassee to Fort Lauderale for opening night of USA tour.
brents1975
Grats! I'm jealous. Thought about making the trip from Houston to Tulsa but I'm going on a cruise the week after the show for a week. The show is on a Friday so I'd have to take off work. Damn... If it were on a Saturday it'd have been a no brainer. You must come back and tell us about it!!
jrod2181
quote:
Grats! I'm jealous. Thought about making the trip from Houston to Tulsa but I'm going on a cruise the week after the show for a week. The show is on a Friday so I'd have to take off work. Damn... If it were on a Saturday it'd have been a no brainer. You must come back and tell us about it!!
Since she is being so nice about it I have bought us tickets to go see her favorite Kristen Chenoweth in Clearwater on that Friday the 26th. Little 3 day tour of the Florida Turnpike
Objective Aggie
AG
Most trueIron Maiden fans OD'd long ago.
brents1975
OD'd on drugs or Iron Maiden? I admit... I grew a little tired when Adrian Smith left the band but returned to the band as a hardcore fan around 1997. So in a sense around 1993 I OD'd but I recovered and have been on the Maiden train ever since.
LegettHall
quote:
OD'd on drugs or Iron Maiden? I admit... I grew a little tired when Adrian Smith left the band but returned to the band as a hardcore fan around 1997. So in a sense around 1993 I OD'd but I recovered and have been on the Maiden train ever since.
Well, beginning with Brave New World, they put out great stuff. And The Sign of the Cross is a great, great concert song. I've heard the new one 3 times start to finish and cannot warm up to it. I'm going to see them when they come for the hammer the audience. I hope I'll "get" the new one if I hear it another couple of times all the through.

I still think The Reincarnation of Ben Breeg, These Colours Don't Run, The Longest Day, Brighter Than a Thousand Suns, For the Greater Good of God are their best. What a great album.

I also love Remember Tomorrow, from their first, and wish they'd play it.

jrod2181
Anybody here part of the fan club and not going to show. I could use the presale password tomorrow . If not i have the password for thursday live nation
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.