***Official Netflix Streaming Thread***

1,518 Views | 20 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by Madmarttigan
LawAg05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have been enjoying the Redbox thread and suggestions, so I thought it would be a good idea to get a Netflix streaming thread going.

Simply post suggestions for anything you enjoyed and would recommend to others that is available to stream on Netflix right now.

To start:

An Honest Liar - documentary about a magician who eventually retired from magic and became famous by debunking paranormal claims of so called "psychics" who were taking peoples money in the 80s. Wife and I really enjoyed it. Family friendly and pretty touching towards the end.

EDIT: thread isn't limited to movies and documentaries. Just please include a brief summary of what it is and the type of entertainment i.e. horror movie, documentary, sitcom comedy, etc.
oragator
The battered *******s of baseball.

A documentary on an independent minor league team owned by Kurt Russel's dad. Crazy bunch of misfits in the perfect town for it. Really well (and lovingly) done.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
Just movies and documentaries?

If you are into cheesy comedy: Tucker and Dale Versus Evil. Very hilarious, under the radar horror movie parody.

Also, I have watched so much Netflix it is truly embarrassing.
AgMarauder04
AG
YES, I'M STILL WATCHING. QUIT JUDGING ME.
yeahtoast
AG
I don't know what depth you're looking for, but I enjoyed "Get the Gringo" with Mel Gibson in a Mexican prison trying to ascertain his freedom/money from a robbery.

Pumping Iron, the Arnold/bodybuilder 1977 documentary/drama is a classic as well. Arnold is in the gym and he's always coming.
AgPediRPh
AG
If you're okay with foreign films

Tell No One - French film based on Harlen Coben novel. The film is actually better than the novel

Infernal Affairs - Hong Kong crime film. The Departed was adapted from this movie.

Foyle's War - English WWII detective drama TV show. Excellent program! I inadvertently learned a lot about the European WWII experience
aCosmicBandito
AG
Here are some of my favorites currently available.

Science
- Mysteries of the Unseen World
- Life, Human Planet, Blue Planet, and every other nature doc from BBC

History
- Ultimate Guide to the Presidents from History Channel (have an A&M and sip professor weighing in throughout).
- WW2 from Space

TV Shows
- Attack on Titan
- Daredevil
- Sherlock
- Luther

Sports
- 30 for 30s
- Battered *******s of Baseball
- Undefeated

Movies
- Goon (comedy- if Happy Gilmore made the hockey team)
- Mr. Peabody & Sherman (good kids cartoon from the Rocky and Bullwinkle characters)

mavsfan4ever
AG
Freaks and Geeks. Best show I've seen on Netflix. Hilarious and it's fun to see so many famous people when they were young.
mattvswild
AG
We just watched the documentaries Tig and Som and found both to be pretty enjoyable.
GetThoseKeysMilo
Rich Hill is a very touching documentary filmed over several years that follows the lives of three small-town boys. It will make you laugh, piss you off and make you sad. Very well done.

Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room, is also very well done.
Capt_Crunch 14
AG
Tom Segura's stand up had me and my fianc laughing our asses off and she doesn't ever laugh at stand up comedy.
PatAg
AG
Todd Barry:Crowd Work is pretty hilarious. Different take on a stand up routine.
Waltonloads08
AG
http://agoodmovietowatch.com/best/
VikingNik
AG
Bojack Horseman is greatness. Give it four episodes before deciding to bail if you are put off by it initially.
MaroonStain
AG
Ripper Street - BBC TV series
Winston Churchill documentary
WWII from Outer Space - 2nd mention but provides a lot of economic and strategic info
jabberwalkie09
AG
quote:
TV Shows
- Attack on Titan
Ugh.... This generation's DBZ.... I thought the series was ok, but I'm not sure I would recommend it. Personally if you are into anime, currently on Netflix there are Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit, Psycho-Pass (the first season), Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood (I don't think all the episodes are up), Eureka Seven, and Noragami. Sword Art Online is interesting (trapped in a VR MMO where if you die in the game, you die in real life). Of course, there is the perennial recommendation of Death Note as well.
Big Al 1992
AG
The Short Game - pressures of being 9 year old golf phenoms.
aCosmicBandito
AG
I'd never watched an anime show before Attack on Titan. I watched it after seeing it pop up on several 'Favorite tv show' threads here and there, and it was usually the only show I'd never heard of. After catching the synopsis on the Fine Bros Teens React YouTube channel, I thought I'd check it out.

I agree that the show isn't perfect, but I thought it was pretty entertaining. It's kind of an interesting twist on the zombie genre with the giant Titans and has several great characters in it. It was also unexpectantly brutal and emotional. I just thought it was pretty entertaining as some of the best shows on Netflix are already pretty well known and popular.
atag
AG
Been watchin twilight zone lately.... Kinda cool that a lot of their episodes are outer space related and it was before the moon landing....makes ya wonder how people thought about outer space back then.
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
quote:
Bojack Horseman is greatness. Give it four episodes before deciding to bail if you are put off by it initially.

Just ran through this the other day. The first episode was garbage. After that it became my favorite animated show behind Archer.

Oh and check out archer, just keep in mind that you can't watch this show if you are going to be on your phone/iPad the whole time. The humor is so quick and subtle you will miss everything.
jabberwalkie09
AG
Here's a thread with a bunch of recommendations/some discussion. I will say that if you watch Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex (1st and 2nd gigs, and Solid State Society) and Cowboy Bebop or Samurai Champloo, you might ruin yourself in expectations out there for other anime. Netflix's selection on anime is usually pretty hit or miss, mostly miss IMO and I don't think that many of those suggestions on that thread have actually made it to Netflix. Funny thing is that from what I remember, Hulu has a pretty decent selection as long as you can put up with most of that selection being subtitled.

Anyways, back to the topic at hand. If anyone hasn't seen Troll Hunter yet, I recommend it.
Madmarttigan
AG
Is Luther the formulaic law and order type show where there is one bad guy per episode or is there some type of over arching storyline form episode to episode.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.