13 Hours

8,644 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DripAG08
ElCheAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Heck of a movie.
AggiePride07
AG
Went last night. Really enjoyed it. I can understand why those CIA Operatives resigned
jabberwalkie09
AG
Saw it over the weekend. Very much in the vein of Black Hawk Down IMO.
Adam87inSA
AG
Saw it last night. Agree w the positive reviews here. Agree that the story has a Blackhawk Down feel. Watching it made me ball my fists in anger constantly (at those outside of Libya [DC] whose decisions beget and exacerbated the situation).

Really good movie for reasons already mentioned by other posters. RT had 88% positive viewer reviews and 59% for critics. The viewers are right. This history is raw and recent and it hurt.

What does it matter? Go watch the movie. It matters.
agmag90
quote:
Saw it over the weekend. Very much in the vein of Black Hawk Down IMO.
My thought exactly. If you like Black Hawk Down you will most likely enjoy this movie.
Farmer1906
AG
Saw it this afternoon and I was blown away. I had middle of the road expectations. I didn't think it'd be quite as good as American Sniper or Lone Survivor, but it may have toped those in my book.

As a huge office fan, I expected to see Jim Halpert in Libya, but after about 20 min in it went away. John Krasinski killed it.
Jock 07
AG
Finally saw the movie tonight. Wow, what an absolutely amazing story.
FancyKetchup14
AG

quote:
As a huge office fan, I expected to see Jim Halpert in Libya, but after about 20 min in it went away. John Krasinski killed it.
Completely agree. He impressed the absolute hell out of me in this movie.

213 Grove
AG
Great movie.
LisaMarie
AG
Great movie. I actually was so engrossed in it that I completely forgot it was a Michael Bay movie. I loved they showed the real photos at the end, to remind viewers that these are/were real people.

I thought all the actors were great and the tension throughout the movie felt so real. It really was interesting how they added in small surreal scenes (old guys watching soccer, the shepherds herding sheep during the fight, etc).

John Krasinksi was awesome and as a girly side note, holy moly did he bulk up...nice...

Excellent movie.
aTmAg
AG
Damn good movie. I think I'll read the book and then watch it again.
TefIon Don
AG
I was thinking the exact same thing. The movie was very good, so I'm sure the book will be outstanding.
snowdog90
Well I wanted to "inform" everyone how good this movie was, but every post here has already done that.

So I'll say this. 13 Hours is the best movie I've seen in a long time. If you haven't seen this movie, go see it. It's moving, raw, suspenseful, and smart. There is no hint of the typical Michael Bay, which leads me to believe this subject matter brought the best out of him.

Other notes:

The casting was perfect, every character was done well, and Krasinski was amazing.

War scenes were incredible.

Fog of war - friend/foe - was brilliantly done.

American warriors are the baddest ass, most fearless, dedicated men that ever lived.
aTmAg
AG
I finished the (audio) book and:

********** Spoiler ***************

The movie changes who does things in some cases and adds other embellishments. For example, the bus part never happened. There are other things I wish that they had in the movie (or maybe I just missed it). For example, there is a part where at the beginning of the 2nd assault on the annex, a bad guy was about to try to breach the wall by throwing a bomb. A GRS soldier (I think Tig) shoots him right before, making him drop the bomb and blowing it up harmlessly. I think Bay changed that to an RPG farther out. Also.. Tanto is every bit as funny as his counterpart in the movie. For example, he asked where the hell are the cup holders in the $250K armored car during a high stress situation. Crap like that.

Now I'm going to watch the movie again. It's still damn good.

************** end spoiler *************
aznaggiegirl07
AG
I'm wondering why it has a 48 metascore on IMDB...?
Adam87inSA
AG
quote:
Rotten Tomatoes: Critics 56%, Audience 87%

In other words, this movie plays well with red-blooded Americans.
DTP02
AG
One of the most tense movies I can recall. Really, really well done.
aTmAg
AG
quote:
quote:
Rotten Tomatoes: Critics 56%, Audience 87%

In other words, this movie plays well with red-blooded Americans.
I browsed plenty of the negative reviews, and they were all political sour grapes.
Adam87inSA
AG
Critics with a political axe to grind.

This movie didn't just not fit their narrative. It exposed their narrative for the garbage it is.
Noblemen06
AG
The book is phenomenal...highly-recommended reading!
watty
AG
I think I might need to see this again. For whatever reason, it didn't quite hit the mark the first time. But I've been thinking about it, and I think my problems weren't with the movie, it was with the actual uneasiness I felt during parts of it, but now I'm thinking that was precisely what I was supposed to feel. I found parts of the movie repetitive (were we expecting any friendlies... over and over) but maybe that was just what they had to deal with, and it IS a constant worry in a situation like that, and the whole fog of war thing kind of bothered me, but again I'm realizing that it was portrayed that way intentionally and that that must have been a huge factor for those guys.

So I think I'll see it again and really try to immerse myself it more.

The other parts I "didn't like" were also,I think, just frustrating because they were true. You know? Like I just found myself so frustrated at the situation. The chaos, the helplessness, the craziness of the locals with machine guns, etc.
aTmAg
AG
quote:
I think I might need to see this again. For whatever reason, it didn't quite hit the mark the first time. But I've been thinking about it, and I think my problems weren't with the movie, it was with the actual uneasiness I felt during parts of it, but now I'm thinking that was precisely what I was supposed to feel. I found parts of the movie repetitive (were we expecting any friendlies... over and over) but maybe that was just what they had to deal with, and it IS a constant worry in a situation like that, and the whole fog of war thing kind of bothered me, but again I'm realizing that it was portrayed that way intentionally and that that must have been a huge factor for those guys.

So I think I'll see it again and really try to immerse myself it more.

The other parts I "didn't like" were also,I think, just frustrating because they were true. You know? Like I just found myself so frustrated at the situation. The chaos, the helplessness, the craziness of the locals with machine guns, etc.
The part about asking for friendlies over and over happened in the book. It also explained how they would be in deep crap if they accidentally killed one.
FHUAggie
Reading through the book, at the 80% mark on my Kindle version, and have a question:

The two Delta guys that came from Tripoli: Why weren't they on the roof shooting, too? I believe it was Tig (maybe DB?) who questioned where the other Tripoli guys were, and after Rone & Glen were hit by the mortars, then then came up from inside to help Oz down.

It seems like the Delta guys would have been on that roof the second they arrived, given their abilities and the nature of the situation.

Anybody know why they remained inside instead of on the roof/in one of the towers? Perhaps it's explained in the last 20% or so of the book? Or am I missing something obvious?
Noblemen06
AG
Keep reading. I don't think it gives a straight explanation of why but it does say where they were.
FHUAggie
***POTENTIAL SPOILER ALERT****

quote:
Keep reading. I don't think it gives a straight explanation of why but it does say where they were.

I just finished reading it; what an incredible book! I'm humbled and honored that such men serve and even make the ultimate sacrifice for this country...talk about a reality check in so many ways. I always feel a weird mix of feelings after reading/seeing things like this.

In terms of my original question, it sounds like the last 20% didn't quite answer it, as it says they remained inside building C. I also didn't understand the Delta guys throwing Glen & Rone's bodies 15 feet down...while watching the movie I remember jumping in my seat a bit, putting my hands on my head in shock. I'm guessing that's not standard procedure, but perhaps the urgency of the situation dictated it? (Not knowing if more mortars were coming imminently, if this was just to soften them up for a full ground assault imminently, etc.)

I most certainly dare not question the men there on the ground taking fire and losing friends, especially from the comfort of my iPhone. I had just never heard of treating a fallen comrades body that way, and I sure hated to see it/read about it after all they had done in service.

I may go see it again after reading it. It's one of those movies that I'll show my kids one day when they're old enough, to show how blessed we are to live in a free country where brave men take up arms and defend it with their lives, even against all odds.

God Bless the heroes of Benghazi.
Noblemen06
AG
SPOILER DISCUSSION>>>SORTA

All I was getting at is they basically sat the firefight out inside the building with the nonners, which I was surprised to read. I, too, expected them to get in the stuff with the contractors when I first read they were on the ground in Benghazi with the embassy crew. I believe their carelessness with the body was due to a) need for expediency and b) they didn't know the guy from Adam. War is hell, indeed, in all its forms.
FHUAggie
Understood, and I appreciate your sharing the insight. War is awful, and as I sit on my office chair in some semi-trendy San Francisco office space downing my morning caffeine injection and reflect on that, it definitely makes me realize that any 'problems' I have in my life, simply aren't.
DripAG08
AG
Phenomenal movie!
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.