13 Hours

8,604 Views | 61 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by DripAG08
BassCowboy33
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This gonna be good.

Boats and Hose
Pignorant
AG
Jim and Roy are friends again?
Dumpster Fire
Tanya 93
quote:
Awesome!
TCTTS
AG
Michael Bay tackling this material seems like a really bad idea, but I have to admit this looks pretty good. I'd take this more serious version of Bay over goofy/racist Transformers Bay any day of the week.
Max Power
AG
Please let this just be The Office: Benghazi. Who is playing Hillary...Pam, Kelly, or Phyllis?
israeliag
AG
quote:
quote:
Awesome!
I didn't even realize that was Roy at first.

But, I definitely share the same concerns TC does. This looked great, until they showed "Directed by Michael Bay". I'm keeping my expectations real low.
jr15aggie
AG
I was waiting for the "you had me until Michael Bay" posts.

I get the hate on the guy when things go wrong, but there are plenty of times in his movies when he really knows how to pull the audience in. I remember getting emotionally attached during a couple scenes in Armageddon of all things. No reason to think he can't pull off a movie like this and have a very good end result.
israeliag
AG
I like his films for what they are - fun, fast paced, exciting movies.

But, this is a serious topic, that I don't think fits many of the traits his film are known for.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I get hate for the Transformers movies and probably 90% of Pearl Harbor, but I think when Bay is doing good work he is churning out movies like Armageddon and The Rock.
TCTTS
AG
The Rock and Armageddon are two of my all-time favorite movies. You're preaching to the choir. I just don't think he's done anything truly worthwhile since (even though I really like parts of Pearl Harbor and much of the first Transformers).
BassCowboy33
quote:
The Rock and Armageddon are two of my all-time favorite movies. You're preaching to the choir. I just don't think he's done anything truly worthwhile since (even though I really like parts of Pearl Harbor and much of the first Transformers).

The action sequences of Pearl Harbor were good. The love story was poorly executed.
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
I loved the warbirds sequences in Pearl Harbor but he really mucked up the history. I never could get around the notion of an active duty USAAC airman being allowed to fight in the British Eagle Squadron. Perhaps that was accurate but I have never found that in any of the history I have read about the Battle of Britain. Plus having Alec Baldwin portray Jimmy Doolittle was just a horrible idea. And contrary to the movie, the Doolitlle raid did not focus on one Jap target - they hit multiple targets in several cities.
AliasMan02
AG
Jim looks awesome. We were just talking about him the other day and wondering if he was doing anything other than esurance commercials.
30_Days
AG
quote:

Pain & Gain is a nearly perfect movie
30_Days
AG
quote:
Michael Bay tackling this material seems like a really bad idea, but I have to admit this looks pretty good. I'd take this more serious version of Bay over goofy/racist Transformers Bay any day of the week.
I don't see why. This topic at this time needs more than anything to be as de-politicized as possible. Show the story of the soldiers who did the fighting and leave all of the washington politics garbage out of it. If ANYBODY can accomplish that, it's Bay. Any other director who's experienced in this genre would have put too much spin on it one way or the other. Bay's take should be as close to neutral as possible, even if he bends the facts a little bit, he'll most likely bend them away from political in favor of spectacle.

FTAG 2000
AG
Here at the premier tonight in Dallas. 45 minutes til showtime.
Chipotlemonger
AG
quote:

That's the one at AT&T?
FTAG 2000
AG
quote:
quote:

That's the one at AT&T?

Yeah. Interviews with the cast and the main three guys (CIA), Bay too.
FTAG 2000
AG
Awesome. Very intense. Think they did an excellent job with telling the story and capturing the desperation of the situation. Not a typical Bay flick.

Lots of dusty eyes tonight. Humbled to have been in the same building as those guys. Several standing ovations for them. Couldn't do what they did justice, but at least they had to feel some pride and support from us all.
rhutton125
AG
Interesting! Good to know.

I tend to kick Bay in the balls a lot but I really do love The Rock. It'll be interesting to see a movie of his where maybe his urges are kept in check (racial stereotypes, comic relief every 3.5 minutes, scenes arguing whether a girl is legal to bang).

While I'm on the subject though... that scene in the first Transformers where they're creeping around Sam's house is just THE PITS. Not only is there a masturbation joke forced in there, but... what's the main reason the Autobots turn into cars? Isn't it to disguise themselves? So why are they tiptoeing around?!? Uuuuuugh
Max Power
AG
Opening in 2 days, no score yet on RT...
FTAG 2000
AG
quote:
Interesting! Good to know.

I tend to kick Bay in the balls a lot but I really do love The Rock. It'll be interesting to see a movie of his where maybe his urges are kept in check (racial stereotypes, comic relief every 3.5 minutes, scenes arguing whether a girl is legal to bang).

While I'm on the subject though... that scene in the first Transformers where they're creeping around Sam's house is just THE PITS. Not only is there a masturbation joke forced in there, but... what's the main reason the Autobots turn into cars? Isn't it to disguise themselves? So why are they tiptoeing around?!? Uuuuuugh

I will say there is some jokes interspersed, but from knowing and talking with a SEAL about some of their situations they get in, I don't think that Bay departed from form for them on that.

Definitely Bay's best since The Rock.

But this one's just different. It's more war movie than action. That will likely surprise people. Not for the squeamish.

And you'll leave pissed off for one of two reason:

If you love this country, love our troops, etc., you're going to be pissed that we left those guys out to dry that night.

If you love Hillary and Obama, you're going to be pissed because it's going to shatter your world view and make you rethink Hillary's "what difference does it make?" testimony.

They don't really get into the political side at all (though they do clown on the whole 'it was a video on Youtube' thing), but if you know at all what happened in Benghazi, watched Obama and Hillary talk and try and spin it away afterward, you're just going to be mad about it all.
BassCowboy33
Early reviews have been quite positive. NYT posted a glowing review and I haven't seen anything less than 3/4 Stars as of yet.
Jock 07
AG
I met Mark Geist last year at the USAFA physical therapy clinic. I was there just about a year ago getting my hand worked on after my surgery to fix me for being a dumbass while skiing. He was sitting next to me and asked what I was there for. I told him for being stupid while I was skiing and not realizing I'm not as young as I once was. I then asked him what he was in for, he responded "I got blown up in Benghazi". Talk about a sobering moment. He is a really cool guy. This was right before he was leaving to consult for the movie. Mark was joking with the head of the PT clinic that he was going to pull some strings to get him a TDY to go with him to be his personal physical therapist while he was doing the consulting work. The therapists there were telling me how often he had to come in for his hand. I was amazed at how high spirits he was in. A true American Badass.
pfo
AG
We just got out of 13 Hours. We loved it! Fantastic movie. Michael Bay directed a masterpiece. But I'm sure it won't win any Hollywood awards because its actually a great movie about fierce patriot warriors being betrayed by Hollywood liberals favorite president and favorite presidential candidate! The theater was packed!
BassCowboy33
Intense.
The Debt
It's pretty good
FHUAggie
Phenomenal film.
BassCowboy33
WARNING: MINOR SPOILERS

1. I thought the movie did an excellent job of being apolitical. It literally doesn't delve into the reasons for the attack at all, but rather focuses all its attention on the POV of the contractors. It stays almost completely true to the book, with only small liberties being played.

2. There are signs that this is a Michael Bay film (the Pearl Harbor style mortar shell), but otherwise, it feels more like something that Ridley Scott or David Fincher might make. It's dark, brooding, and extremely intense.

3. Pablo Schreiber steals the film. His character is exactly as it reads in the book.

4. The controversy with "Bob" is overblown. The book does a good job of going into why Bob made the decisions he did, but held no punches with what the contractors thought about it. Bob never received permission to allow the contractors to leave, but this is where the book and movie slightly differ. Rone never overrode Bob in this situation. After the "We're all going to die" call, Bob told the contractors to go, but warned them that getting any kind of backup was unlikely.

5. The film did a fantastic job showing the always present tension between "brains and brawn" that exists in these scenarios.

6. The movie also did a wonderful job showing the Libyan response. As opposed to just showing all Libyans as bad guys, it went to great pains to show that only a small contingent actually were hating on America and that the rest did not support it.

7. It also did a good job showing the confusion and fog of war. The biggest issue that the contractors had was that they could not tell which Libyans were good and which were bad, as nobody had uniforms. Bay uses that to confuse audiences about who the enemy actually is; therefore, you're confused along with the contractors and CIA personnel.
Teacher_Ag
AG
I liked it quite a bit. A few times Bay kind of Bayed out a bit too much, but overall he did a good job with it. I didn't really find this that apolitical. I mean, they don't hit you over the head with the politics, but for anyone with the slightest hint of the political context it is pretty damning to see all of those forces standing by and no one helping. It's also damning at the beginning to see how effed up Benghazi is and that they were afforded so little protection to begin with. In other words, unless you're a moron you'll leave realizing that people at the top got Americans killed.

I have to admit it would've been funny to periodically cut to a scene of Obama tucked in bed asleep.
aglaohfour
AG
quote:
7. It also did a good job showing the confusion and fog of war. The biggest issue that the contractors had was that they could not tell which Libyans were good and which were bad, as nobody had uniforms. Bay uses that to confuse audiences about who the enemy actually is; therefore, you're confused along with the contractors and CIA personnel.

We saw it last night, and from an entertainment perspective, I felt like this was the biggest "win" of the movie. I felt physically tense every time they encountered Libyans because there was no indication of which "side" they were on (and the ones on their side weren't exactly reliable anyway). It occurred to me later that the suspense surrounding that wasn't solely for entertainment value - it is also true to real life in the Middle East these days.

Overall, a very good movie.
Scotch
AG
I really enjoyed this movie. I wouldn't be surprised if it has a bigger box office next weekend due to word of mouth.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Incredible post. Agree on all points.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.