Orange is new Black Season 3

866 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by aTmAg
Milwaukees Best Light
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did a search and couldn't find a discussion of this. Season 3 has been out for a while and the wife and I are slowly working our way thru it. Does it get better? Seasons 1 and 2 were really good, but season 3 is dragging. Is this becoming a Netflix thing where the first two seasons are great, but the third kind of sucks? It was the same way with House of Cards.
Duncan Idaho
The lack of a strong villain hurt the season.

But shut your mouth about house of cards.
Bunk Moreland
HoC started solid and got ridiculous and even more ridiculous and turned into well-produced dramatic crap. But I still watch it, so i suppose I'm the chump.

OITNB was a good concept earlier on, but season 2 started to weaken. I am halfway through episode 2 of Season 3 and it's my 2nd time attempting to watch the season. I just get bored and realize that I'm doing other things and it's background noise. That's about where the show is for me. I probably wont watch the rest of the season.
PeekingDuck
AG
No, it doesn't get better. Series died in Season 3. It reminded me of The Leftovers where you sit there waiting for something, anything to happen. And it doesn't. Don't waste your time.
Brock Sampson
AG
The end is pretty ridiculous too.
jdls13
AG
I actually enjoyed it. Sure, it was a little bit mellow but they developed on some of the minor characters a lot more. And the way the season ended, you just know ****s gonna hit the fan again. I actually think season 4 will be great. I hope it retains the comedy aspect because to me that really sets the show apart from the others. Season 1 was the funniest in my opinion and I feel like it's gotten slightly less humorous since then.
Al Bula
AG
The vignettes are the best part of the show.
et98
AG
While I agree that the plot was lame in season 3, I had to keep reminding myself that the plot isn't what this show is about...it's the characters. The show is one giant, intertwined series of character studies. The plot only exists as the catalyst that brings all these unique, unrelated characters together. For that reason, it's unlike any TV show ever created.

With that said, it all got a little too silly for me this season with the cult, the panties, the unionizing, and the missing heroine. Overall, there seemed to be too many plot lines going this season to flesh them all out properly. A TV show must still be entertaining and make relative sense, even if the plot isn't as important as the characters. Hopefully those aspects will improve with season 4.

A major theme with this show since the beginning is that in prison, people come and go. Out of seemingly nowhere, new inmates show up and old inmates abruptly go away. In reality, that's probably an accurate portrayal of prison life. However, now it seems they've decided to do that with plot lines as well.
BEaggie08
AG

quote:
The plot only exists as the catalyst that brings all these unique, unrelated characters together. For that reason, it's unlike any TV show ever created.
Lost says hello.
Duncan Idaho
quote:

quote:
The plot only exists as the catalyst that brings all these unique, unrelated characters together. For that reason, it's unlike any TV show ever created.
Lost says hello.

The difference is this series didn't write itself into a corner and then decide "oh **** we ****ed ourselves with this stupid ****....I know we will say it was only about the characters and not about the numbers or the smoke monster of the ducking polar bear or the button or any other stupid ducking thing about this abortion of a show."

Duncan Idaho
**** you autocorrect
Bunbury
AG
Just finished season 3 and enjoyed it. Definitely the weakest of the 3 seasons so far, but still think it's much higher quality than House of Cards. The less Piper/Alex the better the show for me.

***SPOILERS-ALL****

I know they won't let her die, but it would really be better for the show if Alex is gone.

Also, it'd be pretty awesome if they did a big reboot with the new inmates and really focused on them and let the established characters go into supporting roles. Would be a cool shake-up
Duncan Idaho
quote:
Just finished season 3 and enjoyed it. Definitely the weakest of the 3 seasons so far, but still think it's much higher quality than House of Cards. The less Piper/Alex the better the show for me.

***SPOILERS-ALL****

I know they won't let her die, but it would really be better for the show if Alex is gone.

Also, it'd be pretty awesome if they did a big reboot with the new inmates and really focused on them and let the established characters go into supporting roles. Would be a cool shake-up

I'd agree with all of this but the house of cards bit.
BEaggie08
AG
quote:
quote:

quote:
Lost says hello.

The difference is this series didn't write itself into a corner and then decide "oh **** we ****ed ourselves with this stupid ****....I know we will say it was only about the characters and not about the numbers or the smoke monster of the ducking polar bear or the button or any other stupid ducking thing about this abortion of a show."

No disagreement there.
aTmAg
AG
Looks to me like they are trying to go down the Breaking Bad path of Piper slowly becoming some sort of kingpin. If they go too far down that path, it will be ridiculous. There is not that much of a market for what she's selling.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.